Lantern powers Lore and explanations

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Ergotth, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

Ahh but that's the sticking point, Larfleeze can be the only "Proper" Orange Lantern. However as has been stated before, the "Light" powers in the game are "Deputy" rings, which we have seen even Larfleeze make before. So it would fit the lore as long as it's clear the "Orange" power sets are "Orange Lantern Deputy" powers and not "Corps" member powers. I think that distinction needs to be made more clear in the game with all the "Light" powers.

I mean as it stands, the current "Light" powers don't have the same restrictions the "Corps" rings do as far as recharging and other canon limiting restrictions. Players using the Green for example are not even given the choice of "Green" powers, and in the DCU there are at least 2 variations of it. The "Will" Created and fueled Corps power of the GLC, and the more Magic based variant we see Alan Scott use. And as the game is still using Golden Age Alan Scott in the game it would be that variation and not the tree hugging "Green Earth" powers used by the New 52 reboot version.

There should be a clear division between "Green Lantern Corps" deputy rings and "Starheart" deputy rings. The difference would be obviously different constructs, as well as visuals. Starheart constructs should have a more green fire look to them and have more flaming aura around them. Just my opinion on something that honestly has irritated me since the Light Powers were first introduced, but I digress ..

Back to Orange. As long as it's clear in the game the "Orange" power set is a "Deputy" ring of some sort that should deal with any canon contradictions. Also the Orange Ring and Lantern have existed for a LONG time, and if I'm remembering Larfleeze's origin correctly, when he found the Orange lantern it was locked away, that tells me it's previous bearer, if it had one, can't remember, was able to take control of the power to a extent to abandon it in a way to attempt to make sure no one found it again. Didn't work but that is what I got out of it as far as implications. But the possibilities for "Deputy" rings to be floating around out there. Created by other Orange Lanterns in the past exists at least on a conceptual level.
    • Like x 1
  2. recoil2 Dedicated Player

as i recall, isn't carol farris a villain in certain continuities?
  3. Ergotth Committed Player

It's not a matter of proper ring or not, it's a matter of GREED. An Orange Lantern's greed is the reason there can't be two orange lanterns, one will steal the other, or DIE TRYING. Even if it's a deputy ring, heck, even if it's a plastic ring from a chocolate bar, Larfleeze would NEVER allow another Orange Lantern to exist, thats why his corp are "puppets". They all belong to Larfleeze. And of all lanterns, Larfleeze is unarguably the most irrational. The universe could be at the brink of destruction, Larfleeze wouldn't give two ***** about it. Even calling the Orange Lanterns a "corp" is a big of a stretch, in a way, Larfleeze is almost parallel to Nekron, both are the only actual lanterns in a "corp" of mindless puppets. Plus, healing seems quite opposite to what an Orange Lantern do. Healing is a form of sharing, of selflesness, an act of kindness that requires you to disregard your safety for the others. Will and Fear serve as controller as they excell in crowd control and inspiration, Rage is a fine tank due how an enraged behemoth will disregard safety and pull all the enemies to it's side, and for healer, the best candidate emotions would be Hope, Love and Compassion, the former being impossible Lore-wise, and Love and Compassion being very healer-like emotions. But Greed? Where in tarnation would greed heal, tank or even control? Tank I could see, you pull the enemies to yourself, but we already have a tank lantern. Plus Greed is villains-only. And we already have an Orange-coloured superpower xD
    • Like x 1
  4. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

Before Geoff Johns took over GL and created the emotional spectrum. Carol Ferris was a on and off again villain, mostly controlled by the "Star Sapphire", who was both her alter ego and a alien artifact created by the Zamarons. Again this was before Johns took over. Once that happened Carol's interactions with the "Star Sapphire" were altered slightly so that it was the effects of the "Love" energy. As most of Star's schemes were attempts to either entice Hal Jordan or kill him for spurning her.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ergotth Committed Player

So basicaly Love could be a power for both factions under the same explanation as why Rage is in both factions (but reversed). It's not a black-n-white evil or good power, but it has been in it's best and worse.
    • Like x 1
  6. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

Yeah this I could see and agree with, Love could be used for both Hero and Villain factions. It's a volatile emotion causing both pleasure and pain and often leading to Rage. I've recently been playing a Yellow Light character and I have to say I would have hoped for a little more variation in the constructs. I Just wish that in both function and visuals they were more different than they are. At least the Rage power set has far more variation in them.
    • Like x 1
  7. Ergotth Committed Player

indeed, especialy since Rage focus more on raw energy then sophisticated constructs like Will/Fear/etc, and I bet a Love powerset would be full of crystal-based skills that would look pretty darn sweet. Could be a more defensive-based healer.
    • Like x 2
  8. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

No matter what the countermeasures may say, you really need a 3rd lantern power for the heal class, DC to start on that path now, you have to finish it (but, when I mean finish, I'm not saying it has to end with the lantern stories, right, it's just alluding to the class;) ), because there was the Troll, the tank so in the logic the heal must also follow, personally I only expect that. ;)

(A little advice in addition if they bring us a DLC of the Attractive style I want to say a big YES, it is beautiful and also a basic theme adapted would really not be refused: p)

I hope DC will hear us for 2019: p

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
  9. Ergotth Committed Player

Agreed, personaly I think Violet is the easiest to be a healer. Love sounds like a good healing emotion, they are chaotic-neutral so both heroes and villains can wear it, and technicaly speaking, Star Sapphires are NOT females-only.
    • Like x 1
  10. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Indigo is hero only though. Once the ring gets on a person it floods them with Compassion making them heroic and not willing to do the nefarious things they did as a villain. Star Sapphire or Violet Light is the better Lantern Healer power as it is faction neutral for both heroes and villains.
  11. JKwak Well-Known Player

yes the lanterns we have (green, yellow, red) have rings and are not exobyte based, but we have a brainiac who used lantern powers
    so exobyte based heroes with lantern based powers are not that unrealistic and could even bring some nice story elements.
    imagine a really pissed Larfreeze because some exobyte powered Villains show up and use HIS orange light
    or what about exobyte based male heroes with violet light, that would be borderline to blasphemi for some of the star saphire corps.

i dont want more Lantern powers but i just wanted to make clear its absolutly possible
    (ok maybe a healer power so we have a troll a tank and a healer power but its not that importand for me)

they broke MY team member, they are MINE, I repair them and they will give me stuff.
    so yeah you could heal for greedy reasons
  12. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

are you sure their has to be only one orange lantern all the time? with the nature of greed you'd think there could be fluctuations in the power hierarchy like in the revolt of the orange lanterns and triumph of the orange lanterns comic story lines.
  13. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

14. Ergotth Committed Player

Brainiac bots are not using Lantern-based powers, but merely copying the light-construct abilities, which are merely the manipulation of photons to create solid objects. The lantern powers are purely ring-based, confirmed in the game canon.

A quick crash course into the "war of the light" trilogy:
    It all started with Star Labs creating the "power battery" to attempt controlling the emotional spectrum, managing to create dampeners for Yellow, Green and Red lanterns (the War of the Light II duo mission). Brainiac got hold of this and expanded the batteries to try and fully control it with it's antithesis, the Logic battery. However, when they added Love to the battery of Logic, it caused a chain reaction that broke apart all the emotional entities (Said by Caroll Ferris in the Darkest Night raid), creating the emotional mists and awakening Nekron. Althogh DCUO skipped the Brightest Day sequel of it with the entity of Life being replaced by the "Diamond mist of life", which pointed to a part in the Blackest Night comic where 7 lanterns aimed their emotions into a black lantern and breaking its ring, showing all 7 emotions make the white emotion of life (and how irl, the white light is the sum of the full spectrum of colours divided in 7)
  15. MariaTenebre Committed Player

Certain women of the Star Sapphires may be against men joining but men still can join. I mean it is like with the Red Lanterns the vast majority of Red Lanterns in comic history were fairly villainous however recently more heroic Red Lanterns like Guy Gardner and Supergirl for a while have been added

As for the Orange Lanterns again since the Orange Lantern powers come from exobytes it wouldn't be too big an issue to have them. Besides other characters have gotten the Orange Ring like Lex Luthor. I suppose they could do Blue for Heroes and Orange for villains but again I think that Star Sapphire as a power would work the best as it is neutral for both heroes and villains and again men can be Star Sapphires.
  16. JKwak Well-Known Player

if the Power would be exobyte based Larfreeze couldnt do much about it (except for being really pissed)

all i m saying it is possible for the game lore and violet and orange are just examples, exobyte based light powers could even be a workaround for the "no villain can have indigo light powers"-thing, still they would have to introduce them together with a story DLC(something like a "War of the Light aftermath") to make it belivable and i doubt they do that.
  17. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

They way I understand it.
    All character powers in the game are exo-byte driven.

You might have the powers of [insert color here] Lantern, but you are not playing an actual [insert color here] Lantern, but some exo-byte given-power that sort of looks like what at [insert color here] Lantern would look like.

I mean, you can't even say that they are trying to stay true to the comics with Ice being the Kryptonian power. Look at the power FX, so they look anything like Superman does when he's fighting? Any Kryptonian when they are fighting?
    They don't.

I, for one, am entirely against all these Geoff Johns shenanigans. The DCU didn't need a rainbow spectrum of rings. Certainly it didn't need to ring in previously existing DC character into the color palette. Dan Didio was bad enough. Geoff Johns drove me from buying all the DC titles that I had bought for years.
    Maybe all this new cool stuff that is coming out with 20 different foil, hologram covers in sealed bags with mystery trading cards inside makes a great comic, but that is not why I bought DC comics.

If they make a Blue Lantern or what not to be a healer, fine. I won't play that any more than I would play a Red or Yellow Lantern.

Give me the options of a stretching power set and I will play that.
    Lanterns have already had their share of the limelight (lemon-light and blood-light as well).
  18. Mazahs Loyal Player

Lanterns in this game are "deputized" by their specific corp. You are using essentially a training ring that does not have full access to all the abilities of a full fledged lantern ring. Nothing about the exo-bytes involved

It even goes further in WOTL as rings will scan you from time to time and you can hear it happening.
    Here is the Lantern Deputiztion happening