A new leveling system?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by KlausKilowatt, Apr 17, 2018.

1. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

Is it time for a new system?

I'm honestly over the feat system in this game, it's poor system and never made the most sense. They used to be called "Skill Points", but that was always a misnomer as little/if any skill was required to get most of them.

IMHO feats should award styles, tites, cosmetics, and other unique items only. Stat points should be earned via a graduated experience scale like most other games do. Basic leveling would still stop at 30 however the experience meter would keep ticking away and every level after 30 would result in a stat point. Stat points would be awarded for time played/content run, not completing a bunch of menial and grindy tasks (the majority of which have nothing to do with player skill at all).

Don't get me wrong, I used to do nothing but feat hunt. I started playing in 2011 and took a break around two years ago, at the time with 249 skill points. Coming back recently I'm somewhere in the 260ish SP area, I just don't have the time to hunt'em anymore. Not only that but a good majority of the feats require having a Unicorn of a PUG group or a large league to run with, which most folks do not have.

IMHO an experience based system would be much better than the current system and a fair shake to all players, those in large leagues, small leagues, or no leagues at all.

What do y'all think?
    Pros/Cons and constructive critisism are most welcome :)
    • Like x 6
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I think we all had this discussion fairly recently, lol. Personally, I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with feats, per se (well, nothing wrong at first that is). But as time has gone on, it's become large and unweildy. My dislikes mostly revolve around lack of player population, the amount of total feats, the amount of high-point feats in 8-man content and, especially, how much the current system limits the ability to play alts (unless you have a very, very large wallet, that is).

I would recommend an alternate currency system instead of scrapping all the feats, however, merely because otherwise we would probably be looking at a SWG backlash from game vets. Instead of removing old feats, make them purchaseable with currency obtained from XP, leveling or just as random drops like Nth Metal. Little by little, characters would unlock feats they can't grab (or from instances they simply don't want to endure) due to the declining population and quality/abilities of the ones that are left.
    • Like x 2
  3. Aren Sul Committed Player

I agree with your point and the logic behind it. So good there.

However, there are two cons I can think of, off the top of my head:
    1. I don't see an easy way to modify the system and keep the customer that spent time and effort happy (not unsolvable though)
    2. Even more difficult, if experience affects game play, then enticing new people to enter the game becomes harder. This isn't a problem when games are relatively new (2 yrs or less), but as more and more content is added, new players are put into a nearly, never-ending race to catch up. As they spend time gaining experience to catch up, new content is added and players move on.

Neither is insurmountable, but given the resources this game currently has, it would be a major task to figure out and then implement. But I do think, that they may need to slow down on adding new 'feats' because this could exacerbate the condition.
    • Like x 1
  4. TestReporter Loyal Player

You can't change the feat system anymore, there are people who spent years to get more SPs in order to be stronger in the game, not to get cosmetics. Basically, changing the feat system for a cosmetic one will just be the end of the game, i'll be surprised if 60-80% of the end-game population don't leave the game if they do something like that.

If you want to be stronger, then spend time in the game and get more SPs. You can't expect to not play the game for hours like many here do and be able to get the same stats as them. As for not having players to do feats with, yeah, that is a problem, but a much bigger one that doesn't involve just feats. Anyway, you can get a LOT of feats doing content on your own or with a small group of friends, after all you're in a MMO, so the game is supposed to be at least in the majority group based and just like most of the RPGs, having progression based on grinding.
    • Like x 1
  5. Hytch Well-Known Player

I think this would be awesome.

My only question would be if it is too much too late? Has the game gone on too long for this to be accepted? I would accept it but not sure how many others would.
    This is definitely the method it should have started with in the first place.
    • Like x 1
  6. Ryazan Dedicated Player

What if they introduced an experience based system for sp and made new feats have zero points attached to them but instead grant some other kind of reward, AND keep the old feats (the ones we have now) still with sp attached to them? Could it work this way?
    • Like x 2
  7. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

I never mentioned taking anything away. All earned SP and completed feats would remain, the change would be moving forward.

Lol I don't expect anything Testy... and I've put more hours of my life and $$$ out of my pocket into this game than I care to admit or even think about, more than most folks could imagine.

I kinda wish hours played was still a tracked stat, or maybe I don't, that may be depressing.

At any rate it was just an idea, don't get you panties in a twist :)
    • Like x 1
  8. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

That's what I was thinking :)
    • Like x 1
  9. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

I wonder if inputting /play would show it? I may have to try when I get home :)