playing both roles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Iroonmongoose, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Iroonmongoose Level 30

So on my main charecter I hve started a dps build, the way i have it set currently is this
    one armory build is troller, the other is dps, each build has the skill points set to damage for dps or the vit/dom stuff for troller. each build has its own artifact the sparring ai and the rings of azar.

Heres my concern... im trying to only run one set of gear, tonight when i got the gift i made half of the gear dps and the other half troller i cant tell if its effecting either role to badly my question for you guys is this.

does anyone else run a set up like this..

also currently im cr 163 when do i need to start modding my gear ?
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I get not wanting to gather and mod 2 sets of gear.

Personally I DPS using Troll gear.

Troll is my main role that I play 99% of the time in group.

And I usually DPS only when I play solo..... or when a group ask me to switch to DPS.

So personally I would suggest to get a full set of Troll gear..... and to DPS using your Troll gear.

But maybe that is just me. ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

If you're going to play both roles do it properly, build two sets of gear, it's really that simple.

When you're at end game you're always getting gear it's easy to put together a set of gear.

I'd rather see a person running real gear for their role with beta mods than running alternative role with the wrong gear.

No offense to Magneto, but that's just horrible advice above in my opinion.
    • Like x 10
  4. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I agree having full sets for both rolls is the way to go imo and to be most effective.
    • Like x 7
  5. Perdition Committed Player

i gotta follow Proxy on that one, thats indeed bad advice. Why not make the vendor-gear(the one you buy with marks) for your main role and the dropped gear (purple, blue, green) for your off-role. the stuff u just suggested to the guy will end up with people not doing their role how it should be done... make a video about that;)
    • Like x 7
  6. M.R. Thomas Level 30

Use one gear to level up this will raise your CR quickest. You know the game, you take a head first roll, a belt second roll, third roll gives you choice of head or belt. Use the third roll give it to you less used role. A DPS in full DPS gear 10 CR down from your troll is still gonna give you more pop than using your troll gear. Always open gear with your main role because it bases it off the equiped stuff. So you may get a head for your off role at say 170 but by the time you get another head you can pull a 177.

When you top out on CR on one Role then you can catch up the other role.

This is what I do. I love to tank but here latly they are everywhere and i use a different style than most. If there is another tank i just DPS. Because of this i DPS more than i tank and i rase it first. Currently my DPS is CR 211 and my tank was only lagging at 204 before i purposly got it just enough gear to hit 207 to run E3 stuff at tier. Though i did tank the hell out of the second Raid at 204. All im saying is there will be a gap but it will not be a huge gap
    • Like x 1
  7. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

No offence taken.
    Been doing that at least since WM was added to the game..... and it works more then fine.
    • Like x 1
  8. Proxystar #Perception

Depends on your definition of 'fine' ;) But you're a nice enough guy so I mean you no disrespect

If you were running survival mode though or elite content a DPS in troll gear would certainly not be something I'd find to be an endearing quality, nor do I believe it would be up to scratch in terms of its capability of putting in an adequate performance.

Would you accept a troll going into elite content in DPS gear?
    • Like x 3
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

No need to make a video..... I already have a couple hundred videos showing just what I suggested. ;)

It works more then fine.

But I suspected some would dissagree. I often go against what is the popular belief at the time. ;) ;)
  10. MrGT Well-Known Player

Gearing up for both roles should not be too difficult if you do not mind one been slightly weaker (gear wise) then the other. Unattuned Gear drops everywhere including the vault and not to mention TCs. Hell you could have both roles using fairly decent dropped gear till you get enough marks to replace it with vendor gear.
    • Like x 1
  11. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Awwww.... thanks. :D ;) ;)

I think you missed the part where I say I play Troll (or Tank/Healer for that matter) 99% of the time in groups...... and in groups I only switch to DPS if the group ask me too because they think we don't need a Troll for some reason.

So.... in Survival mode.... or Elite content.... I would run as a Troll..... unless the group insisted we did not need a Troll for some reason.

I see plenty of BattleTroll with half DPS/half Troll gear as the OP did.
    So.... a Troll in DPS gear would not be that different sadly. ;) ;)

The OP seems to want to gather only ONE set of gear.

Going half and half as he did... not something I would encourage.
    I see tooooooo many BattleTrolls who do that in DCUO.

So personally if only ONE set of gear is to be gathered as the OP seems to want to do.....
    the Troll gear is the most important one in my book.
    Trolls are wayyyy to rare right now.... we need all the Trolls we can get.

Which is why I suggested to the OP that if he wants to gather only ONE set of gear....
    to gather a Troll set of gear.....
    and if he REALLY need to DPS for some reason... to do so using his Troll gear.

But again.... it seems it is just me who thinks that. ;) ;) ;)
    • Like x 2
  12. myandria Item Storage

Hmmm...*takes notes*
    Battle Troll.. never heard of it.
    In my opinion, there will always be a shortage of controllers until the definition, role and powers of the controller changes for this game.
    • Like x 2
  13. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

No, people don't do that. Get separated gear.
    • Like x 3
  14. Giga Vamm Dedicated Player

If I know I won't be playing DPS in anything important, e.g survival mode or elite content, and I know I won't be playing with PUGs who would care, I do the same thing. I have enough characters that if a group really needs me to play damage role instead of the role I primarily play on characters who only have that set of gear, I can switch to one of my higher damage output characters and ask for a re-invite to the group/content.
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You need 2 sets of gear. All of your stats come mainly from your gear and affect your performance so you need to dress accordingly.
    • Like x 2
  16. High Troller Loyal Player

i suggest sticking to dps gear until you are ready for top tiered content. that's when you can easily run troll role if you would like. the community does not want trolls in alerts, duos, events, etc. when your gear starts attuning to 189+, you can easily go both roles again. this way you don't hinder your progression. this is assuming you want to get to top gear.
    • Like x 1
  17. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

By mixing gear you screw yourself over for both roles. If you want to main one role and only play the other in solos, or low level content, or whatever niche situation, you can get away with playing that role in your main role gear. But with scaling unattuned gear drops it's exceedingly easy to maintain two sets of blue or higher quality gear at endgame so there's really no need to limit yourself in that regard.

In the case of tanks and trolls, playing in DPS gear not only makes you weaker but it may actually drop you below the Dominance threshold and make playing your role basically impossible.
    • Like x 2
  18. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

These days two full sets of gear is NOT that hard to obtain....... You are at CR 163? Okay so every single day you play the game do the Vault mission.. and in addition to that guaranteed Nth metal drop you will get 1 piece of unattuned (god up to CR 180) that you can assign to either role. Go run the "event" missions in the Earth 3 Zone .... Heck just doing that once a week and joining a team to do the 303 weekly mission, the weekly bounty, the weekly mission where you save a total of 48 citizens from the effect of Johnny Quick and the daily mission from Cyborg will earn you 4 pieces of unattuned gear.

So far you have picked up 5 pieces in ONE day.... Now go do the Anniversary event...... complete the weekly bounty and do the weekly raid and you just picked up 2 more pieces of gear. Plus the new solo mission in the zone drops gear daily.

In ONE day you now have 7 pieces of gear .. now you may get a few doubles but if you chose wisely you can practically obtain a full set of gear in just that one day. Make all of that for that one role and if you HAVE gear for the other you are well on the way to owning 2 full sets. After that you can fill in any blanks by just doing the daily stuff.

Modding... Not nearly as big a deal these days as it used to be. A lot of players will tell you not to even bother to mod until you hit end game. LOL I always love that because if you get REAL technical every time a new DLC arrives END GAME changes... so exactly when were we supposed to start? Many different options here.... Pick a role you like and mod it with whatever mods you can create. On the other role stick to something easier.. Alpha or beta mods.. placed in the right slots and the right colors will not give you the bonus stats that piece offers. FRANKLY.. I use Beta mods in all slots for both roles....No simple or complex materials or anything else required and using an Alpha recovery kit I can get back that 1 exobyte I used to build the mod and just use the same 20 over and over and over.

You already have the right idea with SP.. Just set it up so each build has a version that supports THAT role. And just like you i have 2 artifacts set up so each role has one that provides added stats for THAT role.

About the only things left are LAIR buffs.. the generator mods are pretty simple really, at least as far as i am concerned, I slot 2 Power and 2 health in THAT row. In row two there really is no mod that benefits a DPS so I slot for my Support role.. in your case with a troll I'd go with 2 Vit and 2 Dom. On the last row depends on what you need... Personally i usually go with 3 Might and 1 precision but if you use your weapon a LOT.. add less might and more precision. Then just add in whatever tactical mods work for each role and you are pretty much done.
    • Like x 1
  19. Punch Drunk Active Player

I agree with all those stating to get 2 full sets of gear. Once you reach end game level and if you have the stats to back it up then some powers are capable of doing the battle troll thing with out giving too much up but in my opinion you are actually compromised on you effectiveness by trying to hybrid it.
    • Like x 1
  20. Dene Devoted Player

At 163cr, these days, a full set of even green gear as support with Betas is achievable within a few days

I'd concentrate on which role you prefer - personally, at 163cr I suggest DPS, as you'll get more "action" out of it for now - but any gear you don't need pass to your troller, it'll be fully geared before you know it

On the flip side - if you *can* troll something, go for it.. it is good practice