Is greed over shadowing hardwork by devs

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GalaxySniper, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Controller Devoted Player

I've learned to let go of the possibility of acquiring most of the more expensive items in these TCs - and I'm still sitting pretty at well over 300 SPs.

I get the angst over the TCs but could we balance that with the possibility that these same TCs are helping to keep the game afloat?

I've learned to budget my TC indulgence - only one 20 stabilizer pack at a time. If I get something rare - great. If I don't I walk away.

I'd love some sort of guarantee as a paying member that if I chose to purchase a pack of these stabilizers then I'd be guaranteed "something" rare but I don't know how the Devs could implement that digitally.
    • Like x 1
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Nope.

I've been against the cash cap since long before Time Capsules were a thing in DCUO. It's a bad monetisation technique that hasn't worked at encouraging people to become members. Hence why they keep introducing micro-transactions that members have to buy into if they wish to participate, to keep the lights on and content flowing.

At this stage in the game's life, having 30 pay walls for content alone, is unattractive. Finding out that even if you support the game monetarily, you're still going to face heavy restrictions unless you are a subscriber is even more unattractive. Discovering that even if you finally subscribe, the game has shifted focus to monetisation techniques that don't really benefit subscribers is just flat out ugly. The business model just doesn't make sense.

I'm not under any delusion about what Premium members have and don't have. I've already explained this point to you before. Getting rid of the cash cap improves the economy because it allows more people to participate in it. More people to buy your goods. More sellers to compete with each other and bring prices down. These all follow the basic principals of an economy, not something you need evidence for.

The only person with a delusion here is you, who has somehow convinced himself that Premium players aren't opening Time Capsules and people who aren't able to participate in the economy due to rigid restrictions on in-game currency are some how exempt from obtaining rare items.

I already stated what would happen to members and premiums, several times, in this thread. Everyone would enjoy what we currently enjoy as members, minus the monthly grants. As a courtesy to existing members, they would maintain all the slots they have access to now, including the ones that are part of the membership package. All new accounts would start with the Free or Premium limitations out of the gate and have the option to buy more.

Lifetime members have had more than their money's worth at this point and keeping a dead product so prominent for the sake of a handful of people isn't a good business tactic. Products get discontinued all the time, especially as they age. Often things get given away for free, too, such as recently happened with South Park and the Stick of Truth being given away for free with Fractured But Whole. At the end of the day, nothing changes for these people, anyway. Business as usual. Just with a more open game, that's more attractive to play to new players and old players alike.

So what's your reasoning for being an avid membership supporter? Why should they make it better? Still convinced it's holding the game up, contrary to all the evidence around you that suggests otherwise?
    • Like x 8
  3. Proxystar #Perception

I honestly actually agree.

You have to let go of the completionist attitude and leave that too the whales who imo have more money than sense (but hey thanks for supporting the game).

I've changed my approach to now only get the cheaper items and just save all the in game cash for things that cosmetically take my fancy.

I have the added advantage of already having over 350sp of course.
    • Like x 1
  4. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

That's kind of what i said in the final two paragraphs.. So away with subs ? Okay do away with all restrictions..... I never meant to insinuate that Premiums don't do their share supporting the game as well but As i mentioned there have been periods where we had some LONG breaks between any new content at all so at that point other than the numerous money grabs we now have the Legendary were still shelling out monthly fees while the Premiums ??? LOL One of the few benefits a premium enjoys at the moment.. Nothing NEW .. then nothing to spend cash on.

Let's increase money caps .. vault and lock box access and everything else.. Then if all I need to do to stay current is buy DLC 31 when it arrives i can get behind ending membership.. Hey.. as I mentioned in my post at this point if I don't lose access to what we have available now.. I SAVE MONEY

One small point... Free to play players.. you know the ones that have never spent a single DOLLAR on this game. all the restrictions stay the same as they are right now. It takes a horrifying total of FIVE WHOLE DOLLARS! to go from F2P to premium and these players can not even afford that? then frankly depending on the system they are playing on.. Where did they did the money to buy Playstation, XBOX or even a PC?
  5. Fission Active Player

Most games seem to be watered down by greed lately. I guess it's something we're just going to have to get used to. Because chances are nothings going to change. DCUO included.
    • Like x 1
  6. Proxystar #Perception

Oh I didn't realise you were so privy to daybreaks financial data...

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Just because they make new and more ways of making money doesn't mean subscriber's aren't their primary income.

Again a wild assumption on your part.

You have no idea who is and isn't participating in time capsules and to what extent.

Yet you're trying to sit here and say let's scrap memberships because its for the greater good because I say so with no actual data just theories.

My point Tori is that when you make a game change like scrapping membership then it needs to be done in facts and real data not an assumption by the end user.

Memberships provide stable income snd benefit both the developers and end users despite how much we feel appreciated.

In fact the fact the cash cap is so crucial and talked about shows its serving its purpose.

The reason I sub is because I still think its the best deal to plau the game I just think they could do things to improve it.

If improved I'd even pay more in a sub if done right.
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Also tori while I'm thinking about it.

You have no idea how many escrow unlocks are purchased.

Again another flaw in your theory meaning you have no idea how many people are paying to bypass the cap and participate already.

Your theory assumes none are.
  8. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Basically it was my way of agreeing with you. I'm sleep deprived so it took a lot to take what you said but very interesting and informative at the same time. So I used my response as a safety net lol. But I can tell your sick and tired but passionate at the same time.

I know ppl starting to not trust daybreak but me personally I'm starting to not trust W/B
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

For those of you who think the Devs are "greedy"......
    let me remind you what happens when a game/studio does not make a profit.

If the game does not make $$$....
    the game shots down.....
    and there is NO game.
    • Like x 1
  10. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

EA use financial data and there evil. I can't put words together like you proxy. But I think we all know gaming bread and butter is MC. DCUO make more money in MC that I don't think subscription will hurt them.

I mean we're having more and more events where f2p can scale up due to event with out being a member. I don't know why your trying to hold on to membership.

Membership and content restriction, with MC is just to much. MC isn't going away so a fair trade off would be to get rid of membership.
    • Like x 1
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Actually, you're wrong. You can make solid assumptions without ever seeing the data by looking at what's happening in front of you. But you continue to refuse to, because it undermines your argument.

In a court of law, you don't have to bear witness to a murder to know who the murderer was. Examining any evidence can usually draw a solid conclusion. Whilst I haven't borne witness to the financial data at daybreak games, all the evidence suggests that subscriptions don't primarily support the game.

Whether you wish to accept it or not, businesses react to their finances. Bad or unsustainable products get discontinued. New products are put out for people to buy. When a product is popular, we're bombarded with it (see "loot boxes" and their spread across the entire games industry as just one example of this). Why would this game be any different? Is DCUO and Daybreak the anomaly? Seems a bit too convenient to your stance, if you ask me.

It's also bad practice to try and dismiss someone's argument by saying they don't have access to the data and therefore they're wrong, whilst implying that the opposite to what is being said is true. By your own logic, if I can't possibly be correct because I haven't seen the data, then you couldn't possibly know for sure that I'm wrong because you also haven't seen the data.

Also to further your hypocrisy, you state "memberships provide stable income..." Oh? I didn't realise you were so privy to Daybreak's financial data.

You state that the "real" reason you maintain your subscription is because you think it's the best deal to play DCUO. Okay. But I've already explained to you that nothing changes for you. It would literally be the exact same as it is for you now, except you don't have to pay for it. So why the resistance? Is it an ego thing? Would it piss you off that people have access to the things you used to pay for? Do you not like the idea of being on the same level as everyone else who maybe don't support DCUO on the same level that you do? What's the REAL reason you oppose it?
    • Like x 6
  12. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Didn't Disney take consumer money with out telling them they was shutting down? I'm past the point of supporting struggling game with no respect to consumer.

Games that I love had come and go but that doesn't mean we should deal with excessive greed. DCUO has my gamer heart. But it did teach me that just because it fun doesn't mean your not being mistreated as a consumer.

There a difference between supporting a game and enabling gamer abuse.

Just look at Destiney how they treat their players
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Actually no you cannot make solid assumptions.

Assumptions by their very nature are flawed and are made in the first place because data is lacking.

There is a reason people should resist making assumptions because the gaps in data are then filled by that persons prejudices and theories and are fraught with potential error.

Thank you for raising the murder analogy in a court of law a person is innocent until proven guilty... PROVEN!

You cannot make assumptions you cannot fill voids in fact with theories.

The onus is on the crown or state to prove beyond doubt that the person committed the crime; just in that same way the onus is on you to prove beyond doubt such a radical change is justified.

If there are any holes in the case at all the person must be acquitted.

Again this is why there is a distinct difference in law between the determination of 'not guilty' and 'innocent'.

Also there is no hypocrisy in my statement I have the status quo defense torikumu.

And with respect you cannot expect to change a functioning status quo with half data half assumption and theories riddled with horrible flaws; you clearly aren't even prepared to acknowledge exist because of your lack of substantial data.

The status quo must prevail in that case because you're unable to present a thorough enough case to the contrary.

There is no hypocrisy here I'm not dismissing your argument because I want the contrary I'm dismissing your argument because it lacks the merit to instigate the change you seek.
  14. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Whatever Disney did or did not do.... it doesn't matter. (not sure what you are talking about about Disney)

If the game does not make $$$ the game Shuts Down.
    Heck in the case of Marvel Heroes the STUDIO Shut Down.....
    and employes did not get any severance pay or any $$$ of that sort.

As for "no respect to customers".....
    there is a difference between "no respect to customers" and "not doing every silly demands customers ask for".
    There is a difference between "gamer abuse" and "not giving everything to gamer for free".

Sadly..... I see wayyyyyyyy too many DCUO players constantly beggings for free stuff.
    I see people in chat everyday asking for free stuff.
    People send me tell asking for free stuff.
    Every day in the comment section of my channel people ask for free stuff.

AND
    On these very Forums people ask for free stuff.

People have to understand that making a game cost $$$.
    NO $$$..... NO game.

And don't forget....
    Mepps at the end of the day must pay his rent... buy groceries.... buy stabilizers to open Time Capsules. ;) ;)
    • Like x 3
  15. Mosquito_1 Well-Known Player

Why? Do you have a reasonable explanation...numbers...valid data..to support that the game is struggling and needs the extra microtransactions to carry it forward?..and that the game needs the extra money already received from RBs, market place purchases, and subs..? .if so, please share. Or that the dev team isnt properly compensated enough? Please change my mind on why they are that much more necessary..other than "to move the game forward."
  16. SkullGang Devoted Player

Bad example as the reason why they shut down was not because of money. You don't shut down a game and then lay off your entire company a day before thanksgiving because of money. The CEO is the reason the game and company got shut down.
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Money is the reason.
    They were supposed to shutdown Dec 31st.... but apparently the Bank pulled the plug and shutdown the Studio ahead of time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-shuts-down-over-a-month-earlier-than-planned
  18. TestReporter Loyal Player

Many games yes, but not the ones of most success... LoL, Dota, Overwatch, they all have microtransactions but don't impact your gameplay, in my opnion Overwatch is the best example of all: You can get everything without spending a single dollar and all of the items are cosmetic, they give the players new content for free, animated shorts that cost millions, game translated for like 10 languages and many many times the game is really cheap to buy.
    This is what keep the players entertained, a way to get to endgame by spending thousands in random boxes isn't what keep players in a game. Most of the games that charge the players to advance in progression are the ones that just keep losing players and adding more p2w to fill that, they may keep going for years like DCUO, but it'll never be the same thing.
    I don't know how DCUO economy is going, maybe, just maybe they need the TCs, but if they do, then it's a development error, and will just put dcuo more and more in a abism. If they don't, then they are greedy and it'll just make them lose their jobs faster.
  19. SkullGang Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  20. TestReporter Loyal Player

1)The Bank pulled the plug because the company was already dead, not because of the game not being able to make profit during a month period (AFAIK microtransactions were already disabled)

2)"Anthony Gallegos, who worked at Gazillion for almost three years, told Kinda Funny Games' Greg Miller the March 2017 release of the console version of Marvel Heroes did not bring in as much money as the company had expected."
    Of course they did not lol... I played the game on console and it was just a disaster...Every character was locked behind p2w (not as much as DCUO) and there was almost nothing to do in the game (the main killer).
    3)"When we lost the ability to run it, they were trying to negotiate something to bring it back," he said."To be clear, this isn't like a, Disney's the bad guy thing. There were obligations Gazillion had in this contract and something must have not worked out and so Marvel pulled the plug. It's just business. I'm sure there was something that was like, if you don't do this, then we pull the plug. That's how it goes."
    Money isn't the main issue
    4) I agree with u that a game that doesn't makes money dies, but time capsules would sell just fine if there were just cosmetics, like the Booster Bundles. A game doesn't need to be P2W to keep going.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.