Player with DC "Iconic" Knock-off Names

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Crimson Crossfyre, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

There are a bunch of ways to "be creative" and I have listed some here numerous times before when threads similar to this pop up.....

Use Google... I have a water based DPS/HEALER that has the name Lady Nereides. My non existant back story for that alt is .. member of the royal court of Atlantis. Where did i come up with THAT name? I did a search for "Water Goddess" and Nereides was a Water nymph a Greek goddess and the daughter of Nereus known as "the Old Man of the Sea" She was a goddess of the sea's rich bounty and protectors of sailors and fishermen, coming to the aid of those in distress... Seemed like a perfectly good name for an Atlantian female super hero to me.

Use A translator..... You have a name you really want but it is taken? Try seeing what it looks like in other languages... Shhhhhhh do not let Stan Lee find out...... I have a Ice Tank/Dps named Nera Vedova . Now take the name and swap the words around to Vedova Nera. It is Italian and when translated to English.. it is "BLACK WIDOW" So my ICE TANK is actually the Italian Black Widow.

Tons of stuff you can do with that sort of thing .. just google God or Goddess and the power you are playoing or whatever. i have 26 alts and the ONLY one I had to work hard finding a name for that did not involve a bunch of x's or Os was my name sake on the forums .. when i created Tech Warrior as a Gadgets DPS/TROLL the name tech Warrior was taken so I added my birth month and day behind it and TechWarrior 0329 was born! I didn't mind the numbers back there since as far as I was concerned he was sort of a government agent with some super powers. So the whole thing was his code name .. AND gee that took me a whole extra couple minutes to deal with.

I've also used the lower case L = EYE (i) and see no issue with that as well.

Give them a rank.. So you have this really cool name for you new alt but :( (aw dang it's taken) So let's say, as example we pick a name like Boreas who just happens to be the Greek god of the North wind and of WINTER.. So a perfect name for anyone using ICE as their power set. But when you try to use that name .. DAMN some one got it first. OKAY but is there a Captain Boreas? Or a Major Boreas? or a Lord Boreas? What? there is a Captain Atom and a Major Force in DC lore so why not? HUH some one beat you to Major Boreas as well? Okay I am a retired member of the military .. ABBREVIATE MAJ. Boreas = major Boreas. CPT Boreas = Captain Boreas Heck SGT Boreas = Sargent Boreas... No one said they have to be Officers LOL

hey all sorts of options.. Back when we got our free flash cowl I decided to create a speedster. But i didn't want to just be a barry Allen clone so I figured I'd go with a Jessie Quick alt. Well Jessie was taken and so was Jessi .. BUT JESS was available and TADA.. My CR 207 Quantum Alt with Super Speed was born!
    • Like x 1
  2. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

Superhero's name is just a codename... so far there is no one superhero name that belongs to one superhero... sure the hero of the name Bruce Wayne mainly goes by as The Batman, but he wasnt the only one... Nightwings has wear the name, Superman has wear the name and even in Batman Beyond.. The Batman is a new guy all together..

and even Superman, sure Clarke is the one that goes by that name most of the time, but so did Hank Henshaw, Kon -El and Zod..

Wonder Woman, mainly used by Diana, but it also used by Donna Troy, Diana's mother (once upon of time), Artemis and Cassandra Sandsmark

Supergirl? Kare Zor-El, but also Matrix, Linda Danvers, Kara In-Ze and Cir-El..

Batgirl, Barbara Gordon, but also Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Helena Bertinelli and Charlotte

so there is no reason to ******** over other people uses the Iconic name..

even my most original character, technically not an original character cause if she actually exist in DCU, everyone would call her Green Lantern.. just like thousand of other Green Lantern corp members being called.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have always had a problem with unoriginality, specially concerning names, so don't see the inconsistency

You missed the other comment about how even Super Heroes like to dress up for Halloween?
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Okay, you show me where Bruce personally passed on the name of 'Batman' (that he is still using in game) to a player, or even where a player got permission from DC slash WB to use a copywritten name

As for all those other characters also using the name, in each and every case, the previous user had retired or was other-wise out of action: you did not have two Batman running around at the same time!
  5. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

well Batman called that players last week and personally asked him to be The Batman for a while because he has to goto earth 3..

Karen Starr asked me to do mission as Power Girl because she is busy selling iconic gear on watch tower..

Kara Zor-El is grounded, so she asked me to run around as Supergirl..

you cant disprove that didnt happen.. with a little bit creative writing, you can reason anything away... deal with it...

oh yeah, Diana is busy attending peace conference in united nation.. so...

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Jak-Man Committed Player

Hero side is absolutely infested with iconic wannabes. It's gross.
  7. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I know it would be abused, but I so wish we could make our own Titles. This would solve a lot of people's wishes. You'd have a choice between a pre-existing Title to a Style Title. For instance:

Currently: 'The Furious' Fools Fire
    Could be: 'Superman' Fools Fire

Change your character outfit, change your Style Title. While keeping your characters actual identity.

This way people would have more sane regular names. For inviting, etc... While still being able to be iconic whenever they like.
  8. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

i think you have the wrong definition for infested.. i only seen one, maybe 2 iconic clone in past week... that is hardy can be call an infestation....
  9. RealTegan Dedicated Player

My two cents (worth about 1/100th of that) is that people can name their toons whatever they like, but if they use an iconic in the name they should be ready to change it if someone at DC or Daybreak complains. That said, I prefer seeing toons with completely original names and costume designs - and there are plenty to see.

I don't mind cosplayers, I see maybe a dozen every time I log in for more than an hour, and some of them are great (some of them aren't DC properties, either). I see maybe a half dozen people with iconic rip-off names every session, and I treat them like everyone else.

In the end, I'm playing for MY joy, not theirs - and if being an iconic gives them joy, more power to them.
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Kara isn't grounded, she was having a 'sleep-over' with me (not much sleeping was had ;) )
    By the by, just created "Calvin Zero"
  11. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

well I'm tell Ma Kent..

also, good thing I dont go by Calvin Zero in DCUO.. when i play a role playing game, i dont insert myself into the game.. i insert my avatar, which is usually a girl... =P
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

the only names i have a problem with are those that are intentionally vulgar and offensive.

not everyone is creative and good at making stuff up.

the way i see things is were actually lost in limbo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_(DC_Comics)

when you end up in content with clones you're actually running with a lost parallel universe version of that character.
    • Like x 2
  13. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Look there is nothing wrong with playing the game and using an iconic name for your character.... as long as you manage a way around the filter. To avoid law suits from Marvel and ticked off writers from DC itself no one is ever going to get the name Batman with out some sort of combo of numbers and/or letters in front of it, in back of it or both. Same with the others.

BUT there are entire leagues out there that base who gets to belong on the character created and the name they have... I KNOW for a fact just from my bounty hunting in Gotham and Metropolis that there are Young Justice Leagues out there , Teen Titan leagues, Flash family league and so on and so on. Those league want their members to look and act and use names of the comic book or Animated TV shows and movies those characters live in. They role play that they ARE those characters and not a thing wrong with it.

Now for every one of those players there are some , like me, that enjoy creating their OWN hero. Hey ... i played City of Heroes for 7 years and we even had the ability to draft up a shirt back ground story for our characters that any other player could click on and bring up to read how our hero or villain came to exist. A lot of them were really good reading too. Just another way to enjoy the game.. The point is I never got out of that habit i OWN 26 alts and have at least a small back ground story for each. Oh and a number of them were heroes long before Future Lex ever showed up with his magic Exobit dust and sprinkled us. Now those exobits MAY have enhanced the powers we already possessed and made us stronger .... or not. So I create original names for my alts as a part of the whole process..

That said nothing wrong with just being Batman... keep in mind if your in Gotham and Jim Gordon Lights up the old Bat signal and you race to the Police station you may be elbowing your way through a crowd of BATMEN to get close enough to hear what the problem is. You could get a ca;ll from Night Wing wanting advice on the best way to deal with Bane... Just a quick heads up.. tell him SCREAMING "BANE! We are coming for you" in the Lighthouse.. really spoils that whole sneak up on the bad guy thing LOL
  14. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Is this thread still going on? Like for Real?

I'm just gonna wait until Monday for it to be closed. The fact that's there so much drama over whether someone has an iconic name or not is beyond sad.

There hasn't been any regulations about it from the day I was playing, If this truly was a gamebreaking issue you would see all the JL leagues disappear all in one sitting.

Just stop.

You're not setting a good example here, you're trying to use forum username as in-game names to try and set an example. But it's not a good example, People use Iconic names as reason to have fun in the game; not to intentionally mock other users.

Using Batman is okay, why because Batman is a fictional character. You know it's not actually Batman yes, but it's someone pretending to be him so you're not too bothered.

However; when you start using Forum names; that's taking it too far. Forum names aren't fictional, they are something we are recognized by; whether that be on Twitter; the way we're known on the forums or elsewhere on the Internet; it sticks to you like an identity.

Comic book characters are recreated for fun; maybe someone liked one of the Batman Arkham games and wants to recreate that experience in DCUO, they could just dress up as Batman; but it's not the same.

But doing it to people on the Internet. You're not doing to have fun, You're doing it for sheer ill-intentions towards someone. And it can affect and ruin people, If you go around with my username in-game and misbehave and I happen to go on an alt; What do you think will happen? That's right, people won't want to run with me because someone else used my username and behaved like a jerk about it.

And no, before you say anything; It's not the same idea or principle to use someone's forum username as it is using an iconic username. If your using an iconic name, your just using it to recreate something you love to play or like. But if your creating someone's usernames, you're not doing it out of something you like; your doing it with ill-intentions towards someone.

This has been a toxic topic that quite frankly needs to be closed or deleted by a GM for it's own good, It's saddening to me how someone can't reply without getting a knee jerk type reaction from people.

This is also the last reply I'll be making to this thread.
    • Like x 2
  15. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

I guess it was when you got the name that matters I have a character named Silver Scarab thats Earth 2 Hawkman's son I've had the name for a few years. The name rule wasn't so bad a few years back .
    • Like x 1
  16. SkullGang Devoted Player

You're worried about the wrong things my friend.
    • Like x 1
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

When we just had the Name reclaim... it got much much easier to get a good name....... for a while. ;)

Although once in a while there will still be a good name available.

Heck I was surprised that OwlMaster was still available when I created my new Owlman character. ;)
  18. light FX Steadfast Player

Why do u care? Seems no one in this thread can answer that. Does another players name or their style affect u or anyone else in any way shape or form? Nope it sure doesnt. Not unless its vulgar or offensive.

I guess the devs should take peoples names away right? Oh im sure that will go over well. No players would leave the game over that happening :rolleyes: This name thing is by far the silliest thing ive seen in the 4.5 years ive been playing. Maybe people should spend less time worrying about others and focus on their own toons ;)

But ill pose the question again. If some person wants to name their toon Xxbatman12345xX why does it bother ya and how is it affecting your gameplay at all? Because copying an iconic name is not offensive or vulgar. My guess is no one will be able to give an answer that actually makes sense to this question. Some seem like they are simply out to ruin other peoples fun.

Oh btw last night i renamed one of my toons to "galvatron." Because im a huge transformers fan. Wanted megatron but thats been taken for a long time. I guess i shouldnt be a fan of other iconic characters in comics/cartoons/movies or even be fans of the ones this entire game is based on :rolleyes: And wait doesnt daybreak create styles based on all the dc characters? They give us gear that looks exactly like the iconics and thats ok but names arent? :confused:
    • Like x 2
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

You should go play on the PvP server if that is such an issue for you.

The L33T Players don't seem to create Iconic charcaters as much.

Iconic characters seems to be more of a casual thing...... which is fine.

Not sure why people get angry over this..... personally I always find it cool when I see a cool Batman character.... or Superman...... or even better a cool Space Ghost. ;)
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Everytime I see some inane thread like this, I think the same thing. And here we are.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.