What drives people away from DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Skandov, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrforklift Level 30

MMOs survive because of the community. While all games evolve (or devolve, depending on perspective), people stick around b/c they enjoy playing with the other people in the game. What drags them down is the toxicity in the in-game chat, as well as here on the forums. Combine that with open mics where I can hear domestic disputes in the background, and I end up wanting to just run stuff by myself.

I have played from the beginning -- there are changes that have happened that I liked and many more that I did not like. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter the stats, CR, or SP. Good players will find a way to keep being good, average ones (like me) will continue being average, and bad ones will still find ways to be bad.

Play the game b/c you have fun playing the game
    Play another game b/c you find it to be more fun than this one
    Just remember that the community grows if we all are a little nicer to each other.....
    • Like x 1
  2. coco Committed Player

Not going to argue nor discuss past this post, just going to simply answer why my husband & I left, throw in what our friends have said. The big reason we left & will not return is the pay-2-win gamble boxes, or the years of daily grinding you are expected to do to get around those boxes even with membership. The ui needs to be updated, the unreal 3 is definitely holding this game back, the non bug fixes, membership perks need adjusting, mp & vault needs serious updates, league halls have been left in the dust for years, the artwork ( example: the line going catwoman), the non creativity in new items, clothing, & in the recycled maps/instances (for goodness sakes let me guess the next Christmas tree will probably be the same tree with something like batman, or green arrow bulbs on it, & same for the wreath, lol), the scorecard, being a member yet expected to spend more money to unlock elite, the fact I still can't walk into paradox if I wanted to, the mark caps are horrendous, the lack of marks you can get in a days time without dishing out money.

Really I could go on & on but I think you'll get the gist of it & it would take forever to write it all down. Back in the day for about 3 yrs this is all we did from the time we woke up, until we went to bed assuming we went to bed was play this game. Now we don't have that kind of time to waste but I can assure you that's not what drove us away, it was the direction the game took. Honestly though we don't expect to ever return, because even if they fixed everything that we don't like, the game is just to old. Could you just imagine something like ARK operating on an unreal 3 & a non updated ui that would be hilarious!
    • Like x 3
  3. Skandov Well-Known Player

I also believe that game is in the "history of difficult games" category xD
    But I also remember playing Rayman back in the 90s and it was pretty hard on PS1 lol.
    • Like x 1
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

I sit and watch them. Some of the stuff they have to do as a team is pretty complicated for a platformer. I'll buy Cuphead for them once they finish it completely.
    • Like x 3
  5. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Personally, I left (right before RwC, plus sub ended) for four (but kind of three) main reasons.

1. Repetetive grinding of the exact same episode, only to be followed by the same routine a month later. That doesn't mean I'm asking for less content, mind you. Any reduction in episodes or content would be a very, very bad idea. But gear prices (or maybe only having the one piece of content to run for it) make it overly grindy and non-fun.

2. Pretty-much zero alt systems in place. Sure, people will say: we have feat unlocking for alts, and the half-off gear reduction. What that means is, "you can have one or two alts if you decide to pay extra above your sub for them," and "once your done grinding content for two months on your main, you can force yourself to do it again (even though you hate it) but this time only for 1 month a piece." So, I stand by my zero alt systems comment. The only reason account-bound feats and tradable vendor gear (once a toon is at the minimum for content for example) isn't in place is because of replay badge sales. And that brings me to point # 3.

3. Openly focusing on profit and not customer-satisfaction as the bottom line. Yes, money is important to keep the game running. But we don't need to be reminded of it every three seconds. From feats in time capsules to events now geared around the bites sold in the MP to INSANE DROP RATES that (and this is a big one) CONTINUALLY CHANGE TO BRING IN MORE REVENUE, devs have shown that moolah is all they want. Many times they've even come out directly and basically said, "yeah, unless it means more money, it's not gonna happen."

That was their reasoning on why PVP is continually neglected. "Fixing PVP is not really a priority because many players don't play it, and it won't increase our revenue in any way." This circular reasoning is common, lol. Players don't play because PVP is broken, so that means that it will stay broken, ensuring that players don't play PVP, ensuring that it will stay broken.

They never think that if the game is fun, people will pay for content and amenities like style items willingly. They always have to twist it to sell more in the short term.

4. Replay Badges. Replay badges are one example of short-sighted profit. Devs started off by letting players "catch up" through them. Bad idea, content wise, but not the worst. Then, they started designing prices and game content around their use. Why are raids so easy to beat? Why is there no sense of progression? Why is there no satisfaction in getting end game gear at all except for the 50 pt. feat, lol? Because hard content that takes practice or coordination = fewer replay badge sales. They shoot themselves in the foot but will never turn back from such a monumental mistake.

Oh, forgot #5. Troll role. Yeah, enough said.
    • Like x 3
  6. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is great. Always love hearing guys arguing with their mail-order bride who decided she doesn't like the amount of time he spends playing childish games instead of taking her out to a restaurant. (sarcastic post, but actually talking about the mail-order brides thing, can't count the number of times that has happened, sad really).
  7. LighTning Emperor Well-Known Player

Broken broker prices, White base mod nerfs, Still unbalanced powers, did I mention the crappy broker?
  8. Klownnuke Active Player

Time Capsules.

More specifically, feats in Time Capsules.

Also, the complete disregard for PvP.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.