So does anyone know how to properly USE a Tank these days?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TechWarrior0329, Oct 28, 2017.

1. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

When I see that a tank queue in the duo, I let the tank do their job. It makes it easier for me as a dps in the duo. In fact we get through quite easily.
    • Like x 4
  2. Darth Piper Loyal Player

No, he didn't. He made it sound like the DPS was far too impatient. He was doing what he could to set it up for a major success of the DPS. He was also saying with his queuing in as a tank, "I'll let you have the top DPS spot, but I'm here to make your life easier."

DPS Universe Online strikes again!

Seriously... my friends love it when I run as my tank in the duos. Unless they get caught in the poison gas or the steam, they're taking a lot less damage and able to get off a lot more uninterrupted shots. On randoms, I've had people let me do my tank thing... and I've had people just walk out. Whatever. Those who complete it with me while I am on my tank never seem to have a problem because when I bring adds back to the single spot, they only need to worry about staying out of AOEs.
    • Like x 2
  3. MastaMind Dedicated Player

Go into that duo with no shield or self healing move as a DPS. It is definitely harder then it seems, especially on certain last bosses/maps. Last night I don't know what happened but I actually died. Not even from gas but just bosses damaging me. So did my jackhammer spamming earth partner. I am not saying that is impossible by any means, but it was definitely a pain last night. Having a tank, troll, or healer just makes life easier. Duo or not.

Yeah I have seen that happen tons. Typically they always then blame other people. I watched this "OG" player in Zoo Elite try to call the shots because he built the team, and he was typically the first guy to fall every run. He also stood shoulder to shoulder with the tank. Of course he said "We ran this with a solo healer and never took any damage at all because he kept shields on us", and followed up with the classic "I know for a fact Sorcery only has one shield" even though I was using two. So many times in raids I have seen people place the blame elsewhere. Typically it is also the same people who openly and proudly boast about how good they are, or carry themselves with that video game ego.

My post above was in Rise Of The Bat. Anyone who has played that knows exactly how vicious the adds can be as far as swarming. Tank or no tank. To insinuate that someone would sabotage the entire team and themselves just to seek some kind of revenge for an issue that they were not even involved in.... Well that is just plain insane. I will not be surprised if one day I have to gun this guy down because I find him outside my window touching himself while burning himself with cigarettes. I will forever picture him as that guy from that movie The Sixth Sense. The underwear guy. Yeah.... :confused:
  4. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Same thing happens in every MMO, tbh. In FFXIV, for example, tanks in low level dungeons are used to rushing forward and grabbing enmity on several groups of mobs instead of taking out each group. While that's fine for later dungeons, when your DPS folk are going to have already unlocked their AOE abilities, in early level dungeons it's a single target affair for them, yet tanks don't change tactics and keep aggroing several dozen mobs. It taxes the healers that much more, the scaled down tanks are still squishy, and the DPS have a harder time focusing fire on the same target.

Not everybody knows how to be an effective leader, and when tanks are forced to take up that role, you will see very mixed results. When it comes to DCUO's duos, where support roles are considered 'optional', half the dps you see will protest the use of a tank by doing everything they can to avoid letting the tank try to do their job as a way to passive aggressively get the point across that they want them to switch to DPS.

The other contributing factor is people not actually having fun playing the content (not just DCUO, but many MMOs). They're bored to death and want to get out of the instance ASAP. It's an issue with the repetitive grind structure of MMOs, which DCUO is just another one that's guilty of it. On the other hand, DCUO has the chance to adapt away from the limited instance options to 'progress', and stands a better chance of doing so because of the action oriented combat system. It's one of the reasons Warframe has survived (let alone thrived) and one of the few saving graces behind ESO's sustainability beyond its otherwise dull aesthetic and presentation.
    • Like x 2
  5. COMBATICUS Dedicated Player

It's freaking duo lol and yes he did . Honestly complaining about a duo, a freaking easy @$$ duo, that requires no tank, no dps, no specific role and still be able to finish. My lg went in as a troll and healer and still beat it in few min. Anyone complaining about duos, specially the riddler one, is purely just complaining for the sake of complaning
  6. MastaMind Dedicated Player

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  7. BlackOpz Well-Known Player

Glad to see a fellow COH'r here (I played for 6+ yrs too). Finally see DCUO is copying a bit of the sidekick system with episode stat boosts. OMG I wish they would copy the group que system (cause chatting like I'm on eHarmony SUX!!). WOuld be kinda kool if they FULLY copied the sidekick system and let you bring lowbies into higher content by pairing with someone. I'm just glad Sony let Daybreak get DCUO rather than killing the game instead of like COH that wouldnt even sell the code since they didnt trust anyone to carry the torch.
  8. Evaleigh Well-Known Player

Most of the duo's are easily soloable, I don't even look what role my teammate is because it honestly doesn't matter much at all to me. If you want to try out tanking/healing then by all means let me know and I'll stay behind you but I honestly don't see the point in a support role in duo's that are easily done within 3 minutes.

Your job as a tank is to take aggro of the adds, not to take aggro of the other teammates. What I mean with that is that if somebody feels like running ahead then let them be, they'll either be able to hold their own or they'll soon enough realise their mistake and die. If they feel like blaming you then /ignore and move on. Just my 2 cents :)
    • Like x 1
  9. Evaleigh Well-Known Player

Ignore this, I'm tired and I quoted myself instead of editing >.>
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

11. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

Tanks are used to run over civilians in pursuit of thieves? no? [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  12. CaptainBombus Level 30

This only annoys me when another role storms ahead and dies and still blames the tank. I had a healer do this once on WC. He/she ran way ahead and died and then complained I wasn't pulling any aggro. The whole time I was spamming AS on my atomic tank so basically I was pulling 360 degree aggro constantly she had just run to far ahead into a new group of adds. I think a lot of the time, it's just people that have never tanked only have a vague idea of how a tank functions. All the more reason why players should try and experience all roles in order to be more well-rounded.
    • Like x 2