Star Trek: Discovery TV Series

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

No, Episode Three, in which a female is born to a species that has no need for a female, certainly not in regards to producing children, but they make a huge damn deal about it, completely ignoring the fact that females in that species are not required! There is nothing they can do that the males can't, possibly even going as far as not even being capable of producing an egg

So their greatest literary mind belongs to that of a female, so what? She's been basically hidden away on some mountain for her entire life, what else was she going to do?
  2. Azreaus Committed Player

I think you've gotten confused s it was @Arwen Skywalker that brought up ep3's gender issues in a negative manner not me I replied that the prime timeline Trek had done similar many times.
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was simply explaining what the 'gender issues' were in Episode Three, as it seemed you hadn't seen "The Orville"
  4. Azreaus Committed Player

Another incorrect assumption on your part as I've seen all the ep's so far and fully intend to watch all upcoming ones with much anticipation, also your explanation seems to gloss over the fact Moclans are considered a 'male only' species by other races and the social stigma attached to being a female Moclan (not about whether a female is a capable as a male, even tho most Moclans assume a female would be too weak to fit into the Moclan society).
  5. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Umm, no.

You are comparing apples to oranges there. Michael is an adopted human child of Sarek's, she was raised as a Vulcan but was still human and would have her own path to follow. Plus as a human there really wouldn't have been a place for her in Vulcan society.

Spock on the other hand is Sarek's blood child, a Vulcan and as such many things were expected of him, which he disregarded to join Starfleet. There is also the usual father, son issues that most people have.
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Did say 'as it seemed', didn't assume anything
    Again, was explaining why the Moclans were a 'male only' species (and not just by other races) and why the social stigma is attached to being a female Moclan

In a combat-orientated society, who is the lone female going to compete against? Males, and unless she starts taken performance-enhancing drugs, she will lose in every physical endeavour

Again, in their society, there is no place for females

This should be in the "The Orville" thread
  7. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Thing is, nothing's wrong with tackling gender issues specially on TV, but once you FORCE the issue on a show it starts to affect the flow of the show.

The fact that prime timeline Trek has done this before, makes me think, well I should've watched that instead since Orville, being done by Seth McFarlane, you'd expect at least a good amount of comedy in it.

TV shows WERE a great platform for tackling issues, but nowadays, saturated by social media, shows like these (sci-fis) are a good escape of current event issues being, sci fi is kinda limitless, but even that, you're kinda getting force fed by issues you're already aware of.
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Agree with Arwen: SF shows should be an escape from 'Real World' issues, address them sure, but not force them (or your agenda) on to others

With "The Orville", makes me wonder if they would have felt the same way if it was a Space Amazon species with a baby boy, or would the doctor not even have hesitated at the snip-snip?
  9. Agent Canada Active Player

I agree with your statement about "not really having a place for her in Vulcan society."
    So why raise her at all, why wasn't she returned to other family (assumption sure) or even a proper human settlement. It was nothing more than name dropping and padding for her character.
    Comparing apples and oranges, not really, Adopted or Blood shouldn't make a difference, even on Vulcan. As for the father son issues you are right there but let's not steal one character's cool factor just to prop up another character.
    AC
  10. DCUO Post Loyal Player

11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Didn't take long for that video to get pulled
  12. DCUO Post Loyal Player

13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That one not available neither
  14. DCUO Post Loyal Player

15. Azreaus Committed Player

Still have zero interest in watching this gods awful bastardization of a beloved franchise. :mad:
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Complete agreement with it: it's like every 'modern' (post Voyager) attempt at a reboot has simply been a harder boot to the head of the fans (and that includes the movies)
  17. Azreaus Committed Player

I liked the Kelvin movies but they weren't the Trek I grew up with and I didn't have too many problems with them as they were a separate thing off in their own corner waaay of to the side (I will say that Quinto did an excellent Spock).

I think the main problem with most modern reboots is simply that the ones doing the reboots don't know/care why the original was so well liked in the first place and are just using it as a means to push their current PC agenda.
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Will admit that Sylar did a good Spock 2.0, it wasn't his fault the hack writers wanted to turn Spock into Kirk (first bedding Uhuru and then smacking Khan's teeth out his butt)
  19. DCUO Post Loyal Player

20. Azreaus Committed Player

[IMG]