Wonder Woman & Representation

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Quintus Adrien, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Quintus Adrien Well-Known Player

I came across an interesting video about representation and Wonder Woman. Just wanted to share it.
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Something that stood out for me: it mentions Whites, Asians, Blacks, Latinos... and Other races, honestly can't imagine a fifth 'race' (personally only know of one race: Human, but that's another rant)
    Can someone please inform this ignorant idiot what would be covered by 'other'?
  3. Hamurabi Jones Committed Player

In my years on this great, big Earth, I've filled out or seen plenty of paperwork that needs filling out. "Polynesian" and "Native American" have both popped up as a choice under the heading "Race".

Humans or ( rhymes with domo) Sapiens, are a species. Race tends to be the next step in the application of social taxonomy, Dark. If we're talking biological taxonomy, we'd call Caucasian, Asian, African, and the rest of the gang subspecies of ( rhymes with Cuomo) Sapiens. What does all this matter? Well, in the words of senior camp counselor Tripper Harrison, "It just doesn't matter!".

4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

D'oh! Just didn't even think of Poly's or PacIslanders, or 'Indigenous People' :(

And it wasn't that long ago there was an article claiming Maori are indigenous to New Zealand :eek:
  5. Hamurabi Jones Committed Player

Most everybody came from somewhere else. Some folks just had a longer trek. I've seen Rapa Nui, I know how it is! Would Jason Scott Lee lie?????
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

They have this legend about how they came from Hawaiiki (or some such made up land, not Hawaii), came here and ate the indigenous people, but after some woman posted an almost-nude selfie on Mount Taranaki, you had some idiots (including a professor :rolleyes: ) protesting about how dishonoured the sacred mountain and claiming that the Maori are indigenous to New Zealand
  7. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

We'd consider that to be ethnicity here (in NZ).

Other than that, I'm not going any closer to this thread.
  8. StupidCarrot29 Well-Known Player

Why is always Batman the one to stand out from the three??
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yup, Ethnicity is not the same thing as Race, next people will be claiming Nationality or Religion as a separate 'race' :rolleyes:
  10. DC Urban Committed Player

The key to understanding is acknowledging differences. The biggest lie is "I dont see skin color." Why cant we be different? Some people are better at math, others are better at science. Some are better at sports, others are better at arts.

The irony is people get angry when an Asian superman appears but we are the same.

We all have diversity of physical characteristics, notably skin color which appears to be directly correlated to regions, and this is what we are judged upon by others. We are different, history display this, notably for the worst.

Internally the same? Maybe. I would like to think that I am different from a robber. We definitely differ physically, brown is not the same shade as white.

I do not care for being represented by fictional figures. As a kid I looked down on actors playing superheroes because it reminded me of Doug's day dreams. He could not do much physically, so he would day dream of being Quail Man or some other fictional hero. Then, when I see the superhero off camera you can tell they could not even beat up the director in a fist fight. am thinking to myself, "This guy played the hero?":confused:

I always looked up to Jordan, Foreman or Tyson, because the represented reality not fiction.

I do not want to hijack this thread but maybe the key to comic mmo making it into the Asian Market is incorporating some of these guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asian_superheroes

Look at all of their mmo, the trend is usually some bladed wielding guy, or martial arts. Superpowers are cool but it does not correlate with a great deal of them, unless it was Silver Samurai. mmo are a great way to incorporate more diversity representation and maybe later a movie after they gain notoriety
    • Like x 1
  11. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Native American, Inuit, Aboriginals for starters.