I'm confused by Jack Emmert's recent interview with Glixel

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SocratesGS, May 12, 2017.

1. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

This is like pulling a Trump on the DCUO community.

Folks, no need to worry, everything is great in DCUO, in fact, it's fantastic!

It's sooooo free to play and player base is winning bigly!

I am amazed to see how much disillusioned one has to be to make a complete u-turn on the real state of affairs in the game.
  2. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

That's the thing, you being a new player and all, can't see the issues and nor do you have enough information about the forums and how many times the issues have been pointed out but there are no solutions, at least, the developers say one thing and do completely the opposite.

Also, there are totally free to play MMOs out there, specifically on PC and in that landscape, DCUO's free to play model is a hogwash. Wildstar, Terra, etc, are great games and truly free to play, there is no restrictions on cash or any other Content or DLC limitations, you can access the full game without paying a dime.

Consoles, ipads, etc. don't have enough options and distributors monetize everything, all the free to play models are convoluted and not really free to play in comparison to its PC counterpart.
  3. Pults Loyal Player

I'm sorry but Daybreak fails at understanding how F2P model works, you can not progress to T8 without spending a dime, all of the content is behind an episode or subscription. As well as obtaining all the items in the game. They're behind an absurd RNG paywall and obtaining them by simply paying is not an option.
    DCUO is a subscription game with an unlimited trial that also has microtransactions. Free to play is nowhere in sight.

If you want to see how a F2P model works check out Warframe, they're the real pioneers of a well functioning Free to Play game.
    • Like x 1
  4. saywhaaaaaaaat Well-Known Player

And you get a free chest at the end of each duo/alert/raid, and correct me if I'm wrong but some R&d material drops only from that chest.
  5. DarkAya Dedicated Player

I got all TC feats except 1 (work in progress), spent around 10$ for stabilizers, I don't buy Replay Badges at all, just pay the membership, freebies had open episodes for over 3 months total?, 2 free big events and many auras/gear for seasonal currency. In 2 years they gave f2p more than SOE ever had. If you feel like spending 100-300$ on satbilizers and reseting content with badges is a mandatory that's bs, you like to rush - you gotta 'support the game', it's on you.
    • Like x 1
  6. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

This game has never been truly Free To Play. Jack knows it, I know it and so do many others that have played a lot of free to play games on PC. Then there are the ones that have no clue how free to play games work.

Number three speaks volumes about the ones complaining about the path that DCUO has been going.
    These belly achers ( new werd :p ) do not know or ever played a real Free To Play game.
    Free to Play games have ALL OF THE CONTENT OPEN FOR ANY PLAYER not just certain content.
    Basically like what happened with the open episodes. All of the content was open with certain limitations
    set in place for different levels of access that players have paid for.

Not trying to monetize everyone is exactly what Free To Play is. As it stands right now. With this Sorry FTP model that DCUO has had since 2011. It's no wonder that the player base keeps dwindling. DCUO advertises as a FREE game and you have to pay for everything after a certain point. That is not how FREE TO PLAY WORKS and that is one of the reasons why DCUO has issues with player retention.

You guys want perception............... here it is. The game advertises as free and it is not free.

The TC's, Anniversary & Starro events are set up as FTP models & are proving that DCUO can open the rest of the game to everyone.
    • Like x 3
  7. Backblock Well-Known Player

Pfft... Just because I complete Time capsules doesn't mean I like them.
    Oh stop it already lol.
    Im pretty sure there are others like me that feel the same way. :rolleyes:
  8. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

LMAO " A game with rich narrative, so people feel like they're inside a fully fleshed out DC universe" I haven't felt the game with less of a rich story since ever. Since Jack came on board the game feels less richer in every aspect to be honest.

And like you said that's the biggest lie ever, since he came on board the cash grabs have been bigger than ever.
    • Like x 4
  9. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

I'm playing STO currently. While I sank about 30 bucks in it initially to make my early game experience more fun (certain starship, uniform set and an upgrade kit), I'm actively living of the wallet warriors now by selling my grind currency vs their ingame item shop currency. So Jackster really knows from experience how to offer a full access video game for people without then having to pay a dime on one end and having people around sinking tons of money on the other hand so the game stays alive. I would not have needed to spend that 30 bucks - I just don't enjoy playing a game with a player-created character if the look is not right, especially when the right look is just 3 clicks and a few dollars away.

We don't know what his long-term vision for DCUO is. Fact of the current course however is: There were several additions that actively work AGAINST the approach Cryptic/Perfect World use for (the console version of) STO. One example is selling grind currency (seasonal currency) directly for marketplace cash instead of using the system of STO (players grind, have overhead currency or decide to prefer marketplace cash instead of the new feats and sell those currency to the wallet warriors for marketplace cash).

And seriously: I laughed much much more about the line "We want to make sure every dungeon doesn't feel like a loot raid" :D :D :D It's like - look at the forums, full of one-dimensionally-thinking morons calling themselves gamers desperately begging for content of exactly that design. Ridiciulous :D
  10. nawanda Loyal Player

There is a certain disingenuous naïveté to some of the posts in this thread.

Since JE took over there have been two significant changes
    1 - less content (and presumably, lower development costs)
    2 - more pressure on committed players to spend money over and above their subscription.

The reason I use the term 'disingenuous naïveté' is because we all know it would be bad for business for them to publicly acknowledge the above. This is why complaints about time capsule feats and the lack of content get either ignored or swept aside with carefully constructed untruths on these forums.

It's just PR.
  11. nawanda Loyal Player

It's not possible to get a toon from level 1 to CR180 during the lifespan of the Starro event 'just by playing Starro a lot'. I created a character in the last week of March and ran him up to CR40 the old fashioned way. He's been doing all the Starro weeklies and most of the dailies as often as his lootlocks allow and he's not even close to CR100 with just a couple of weeks to go.

As for monetising the most committed players, it might seem fair in principle, the execution has left an AWFUL lot to be desired.
  12. Please Stop Me Well-Known Player

1. It is accessible and easy to get into. I give you that.

2. A rich narrative? Not quite. From what I have seen at least a part of the content after reaching rank 30 is just the same missions from the different mentors slightly altered and toughened up. And then of course re-altered for solos, duos, and etc. Someone playing longer could probably provide the exact number of different instances there really is, but the fact remains that it is "DC Universe" but it definitely doesn't even tap into 5% of the actual DC Universe. It is just like most other DC games and it only really touches on the cash making titans. Granted there are a small amount of characters who aren't allover the place (Calculator, Ambush Bug, etc) but in a universe so vast there are so many good characters who are just missing from the game.

If you wanted a rich narrative you should be following the common sense guide to making your game last long term. You want to focus on making money, we all understand that it has to be done to keep the game going, but here is what absolutely blows my mind. So I have played around with several weapon types, powers, movements, roles, etc. It seems that as is every power has something to offer and that they are all pretty well equal. There may be a few that aren't but then again it probably has other factors to include. I could understand some small edits to the way it works, but to "Revamp" everything and change the whole system is just a WTF are you thinking move. I mean you do realize that there will be tons of bugs and glitches no matter how much you test it. Meanwhile you could have just been working on NEW CONTENT. Which is what people want. People probably wouldn't mind investing more money into the game if they had a reason to. I am exactly 50 days into your game and with each passing day I find that I am just repeating the same thing over and over. I am already at CR 187 and there is a small handful of instances I have not beaten. Don't get me wrong I can grind the same content to death. I just spent the last 3 years on GTA Online and I reached rank 806 which is just stupid high rank for that game. The reason I was able to play GTA for so long was because at a minimum there was a new DLC every 3 months and sometimes even more frequently then that. The reason I am on DCUO? At some point I ended up owning every single item in the game. So I would be grinding for that next DLC on the horizon. It would arrive and on day one I would buy everything. Sometimes this would make me broke, and I would have a purpose to fulfill again in getting my money back.

So I wait 3 months to get a DLC that had barely any new content. It was mostly just a few goofy races and a weekly car. I come to DCUO and GTA has still not released any new content. My point? You can run events. That is smart. But the fact is without actual new content you will run this game into the ground. If you want to chase money do it the Rockstar Games way. They put out a ton of new content and players invest into their in-game currency to get that content quicker.

3. Free to play? Not even close. I have met a ton of players who have no option on becoming premium/legendary and thus they cannot do hardly anything. I should have quoted it above so they get credit, but the truth is at best it is a free trial. You should definitely look into treating your free players better because as I said above, you are slowly but surely running off the majority who were willing to put in time and money on your game.
  13. SasquaT Dedicated Player

Totaly agree no point of spending a penny .

There is no logic .
    Principal caught one student on playground :
    - what you doing here why you not in class ?
    + Mr principla there is no logic
    - what you mean ? why there is no logic class?
    + becouse i fart in class and teacher kicked me out so now im walking here on fresh air and rest of class need to breathe in my fart .
  14. Gimpy Loyal Player

That chest can only be opened by a Legendary Member and no one else, hell even after deleting the damned things you get a notice the next day it has expired.

There are other aspects of this game that only a LM has access to besides those new treasure boxes, so having the ability to "never pay" to "play" the entire game isn't living in reality.

Anyone who believes the statements made in that interview are......................................

no, I'm not going to finish that statement, I'm sure those who have a clear grasp on reality can finish it on their own.
    • Like x 2
  15. saywhaaaaaaaat Well-Known Player

I doubt anyone believe those statements.
  16. Gimpy Loyal Player

Yeah those zombies don't believe anything lol

LMAO, they change chear leeders to rational people now!!
  17. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Hyperbole means using logic, which is forbidden on the forums itself :p

Techwarrior also already provided the nail that truly hits the coffin on that head though, the events themselves only "appear free".

I mean after all if you keep using them chances are it will just put you out of the content thats free and put you quicker towards the part of the game where you either need to buy dlcs to go further or go legendary.

Oh well, tis the lot for this game I suppose.
  18. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

all i see is just PR bullcrap.. this game will never truly be free to play unless they open the content to everyone like marvel heroes online..

this mean giving everyone free DLC which will never happen..
  19. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

Don't think that it won't happen. Those past DLC's are already paid for. Opening up the DLC's like they were with open episodes will only bring in more players that will buy those 1 dollar TC's. Then there are some other aspects of the game that need tweaking to make DCUO a real FTP game. It would not take much at all.

Remove the cash cap ( doing this will balance the broker as well) Prices on Starro base items are a prime example
    Most of the base amenities in the game can be found through collections & leave pay options in place
    Make the different bases drop as collections & leave pay option in place
    Make it so that the main frame can be unlocked with collections & leave the pay option in place
    Make the utility belt a collection drop and leave pay option in place

Make it so that all legends can be opened the same way as for subs ( lower subs costs for the characters )
    Change all instance resets to 15 replays.
    15 replays per instance would make them more appealing to FTP players like the TC's. ( PRICEPOINT )
    This would give subs a 10 reset bonus instead of 1 raid and a couple other instances. ( better sub perks )

On top of everything else.......... lower all items across the board in the MP. The price point is way off.
    Those single dollars add up.
    • Like x 1
  20. Riggs Well-Known Player

Threads like these, started by people that have absolutely no idea how PR works.

Obviously they aren't going to go into an interview and say "yup, we're just making content for money now", they try and butter people up to make themselves look good. That's how PR works.

This should need saying, that was so painfully obvious even Stevie Wonder could see it.
    • Like x 4