Is the PS3 holding back the game?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dragon Power, May 7, 2017.

1. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yes, tech is half the battle, but when it's stuck at a certain level, then you literally can not go beyond that, no matter how smart you are: the PC has been upgraded a few times since DCUO was released, why the hael are PS3er's so reluctant to admit they need to upgrade as well?

You can not improve things if one large base would still not be able to access or benefit from it
  2. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

No, bad developer decisions and incomprehensible playerbase support for these decisions are holding back the game, the PS3 argument is a cop out.

Balance **** and then it's a valid argument. Right now it's not even in the top ten list of "Crippling DCUO issues"
    • Like x 3
  3. DC Urban Committed Player

We need a power every year

The game is about super powers, they need to drop everything and push out some more powers.

Here is the deal, if PS3 cannot handle it, they dont get it. plain and simple. You can still play, but if there is not enough capacity, you cant get it, sorry.

I am not trying to be mean, but that is what needs to happen.

people are blaming the PS3 but it is not up to the PS3 to determine who gets powers or updated content. The devs can easily move on without the PS3 while keeping them. Why wont they? Like I said, tech is only half of it.

If they dropped PS3 support, what would this help? Lets think about this for a second, hypothetically in a perfect DCU world, PS3 support is dropped. So you are telling me this team will magically start pushing out powers at a quicker rate?

It is not really about the PS3 because they could easily move on without it. Their development is so slow there is no point in moving on without it.The PS3 excuse is not valid here, it is just not. They have not even take advantage of the PS3's capacity yet.

This is how it goes, when a game hinders a product, they move on without it. If they don't move on, they, A) Have not maxed out, B) Really a team of Chimps C) Milking the game

A and C applies here
    • Like x 1
  4. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

That is the point where the perception of "just players" is wrong. They'd need to open seperate servers for PS3 and PS4/PC if they were to go that way (which includes really much messing with the PSN-account system) or they'd need a different client version for the PS3 that has functions to handle situation of a PS3 player with no access to a new power running into a PS4 player with access to that power in any open world part etc. Both costs extra effort in creating and maintaining, binds manpower, costs time during updates (either 1 more server or 1 more client software). And that to exclude a customer group from a product, from sinking money into the game -> bad choice.

Now, if the "different client software" is among the options anyway, why not reduce the out put of the PS3 instead with that different client software? The GFX, animations etc are turned down or off in certain cases, and the PS3 players can still play on the same server and get that new power (though they wouldn't see the animations fully etc.) - since at some point the PS3 people will move to PS4, their money would not be wasted. Again, more effort, man-power etc (same as above), but this time to keep a customer group that is on the edge around -> better choice business-wise.

The problem is not so much the limitation of the PS3, but the decisions made in product design, maintenance structure, development plans etc. - and the overly use of the PS3 as the scapegoat.

I'd love to see the PS3 dropped tomorrow - just to see that look on the face of all the players who advocated for getting rid of that platform and the people using it when the subscription price is raised by 2 bucks to make up for that lost income, and 2 years later (if the game makes it that far) DCUO still doesn't have improved in the way that bunch of mostly clueless people imagine :D
    • Like x 1
  5. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  6. Zlohsac Committed Player

Here's an idea: shut down DCUO and begin working on DCUO 2. New engine. Updated UI. Better graphics. And guess what? It's only supported on PC, PS4, and XB1.

Work out all the kinks that the current game has and release when really ready. Devise a plan for a long standing ability to maintain balance some powers are overly more powerful than others. Come up with a raid system that works for both casual and hardcore player. A way to make open world content ever expanding. Utilize the cities more. There's all these buildings but they're just decoration. I think it would be kind of cool if the cities had stores you could go into that sold styles instead of just in vendors in WT. Or stores that sold trinkets or pets.

DLCs every 3 months

One new power every year

A marketplace system that makes sense for the players and Devs. One that is updated with new stuff all the time.

Make legendary status actually mean something. Like duration of membership awards.

Fix PvP

There's tons of things that could be done. DCUO has so much unrealized potential it's ridiculous. But I think this version of it needs to die.
    • Like x 1
  7. DC Urban Committed Player

My perception is not wrong, I know what it entails. Companies do not limit themselves,period. The ps3 limitations excuse does not apply here. Companies do their homework and prepare for things like this,console mmo 101.

They have not even maxed out the console for one.

There is no point playing the contrarian here because no reasoning makes sense.

Mmo drops hardware that limits them, this is not a new complicated concept
  8. DC Urban Committed Player

I was on my phone and did not read your comments completely. My fault, I actually agree, it is not very much about ps3 limitations as opposed to bad decisions, as you outlined in the product design. Everything they that "Cant" do, eventually falls back on their flawed framework.
    • Like x 1
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Lol, by the time the PS3 is dropped Sony would have already released the PS5 alongside the planned Microsoft Xbox Scorpio
    • Like x 3
  10. Derio 15000 Post Club

The answer at this point is no. Dropping PS3 wont fix servers, chat issues, content bugs, power balance etc.

Dropping the PS3 will only allow for things like greater UI updates, larger maps and zones, 16-24 man content, etc.

Right now the main issues of this game have nothing to do with the PS3 holding it back.
    • Like x 3
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

To you Defenders of the PS3, you are aware that it is at least 10 years old by now? While it was 'state-of-the-art' once, that was a long time ago, the PC has had to upgrade, the PS upgraded to the PS4
    And while there are several things holding back DCUO right now, PS3 IS one of them, like it or stuff off
  12. Riggs Well-Known Player

They can't afford to drop PS3, too much of the games playerbase uses it.

PS3 users need to upgrade and drop their obsolete system that isn't being developed for anymore.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

I hate tp be the one to tell you all this...The PS3 is kinda not holding back DCUO. Money wise its helping trch wise its holding it back but not a lot and I mean if I gave it a percentage it would be tech wise 3%. Think of other MMOs thst lasted a long time...how many have has huge over hauls that many want in this game...none I can think if.

What is holding this game back the most is its engine...graphics, and Daybreak themselves. Now tgia game after the PS3 goes will probably get a 10 to 15% boost overall. The best thing to do is for DBG to find an investor to help make DCUO 2 that has updated everything.
  14. Cold Fusion Well-Known Player

However you could also make the argument that without more graphic upgrades... new powers and general quality of life upgrades the game will grow more and more undesirable compared other newer games...

While more and more PS3's convert over to PS4 they are losing the need to support PS3 overtime while driving away more and more possible new PS4 customers because of lack of upgrades.

There is also logic in that people that still have PS3 and haven't upgraded to PS4 by now don't have much disposable income... So how much are they truly contributing... What % are Members.. Free to play... Premium?

While it's easy for them to track how many PS3 player's are left it's impossible to track how many new PS4 customers didn't give the game a chance because the game felt to aged.

I don't know the right answer for sure but companies that don't try and stay current and adapt usually go under.
  15. Saami Loyal Player

Can ps4 run this game alltime flawlessly 60fps? No drops.
    Anyone with ps4 knows?
  16. VariableFire Loyal Player

Original stock PS4? Most of the time. Honestly with all the problems PS3 has running DCUO, people should stop whining about PS3 players and thanking them for staying despite it being nearly unplayable (around T6 the problems get terrible with Gotham Undersiege lagging every time).
    • Like x 1
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

OH I agree Daybreak is almost ion a no win situation at this point. How long has it been now since we got a new power? A little over two years according to the official announcement. How many new DLCs have we had in recent times? Well DLC 26 came out in July of 2016 and due in part to the change from monthly content we didn't see another until November 2106. It's May now and all we know for sure is "sometime: in June DLC 28 will arrive. That's 2 new pieces of content in almost a year.

Now we did get the anniversary event in January with 3 daily missions, 1 weekly and a single raid *that could be replayed daily without using replays). And at the moment are still able to access the Starro event with 4 daily missions and 3 weekly plus a duo, alert and raid (So almost as much new content as we got with DLC 27. But both of those have time limits. The Anniversary event lasted 1 month and Starro is lasting 2.

Fact is thanks to a smaller staff and way less money DCUO simply is not producing a lot of new things to do at all. So unless and until they do start to provide a lot more "quality" content the prospect of picking up a huge amount of new players to replace what they will lose seems sort of slim. Not impossible but they'd need to advertise like crazy, something they are not prone to do a lot of, and they'd need to keep up the pace a put out content on a much more regular basis or they'd lose any new players they might bring in.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, what? On one hand you are saying we should be thanking the PS3ers, and on the very next hand admitting the game is near unplayable for them because of severe lag? o_O
    Why are they staying if they can barely play beyond T6? o_O
  19. DC Urban Committed Player

The player base is screwed. This is what it comes down to, the players are screwed. DCU is being held hostage. The DBG really cant do much with it, so DBG is milking what they can. It sucks really. No one else can have it, they want to squeeze what they can. So much potential left in this game which will never get realized. What a shame.

This situation is comparable to CoH. The rights for that are still with the owner if memory serves, but they are unwilling to let someone else improve and use it so players can experience the game once again.

DBG cant really do anything with DCU, this is probably the worst kind of situation for a game because the game is in this static state. CoH is over, it is done. DCU is still going, but it is in this awful state of no progression or true content. It is under a company that cannot do anything with it, anything worth a damn so they ring out the players pockets with tc and repetitive dlc. 26 dlc? That is ridiculous.

CoH and DCU situations are actually comparable. the only difference is one is playable, the other is not. Both are being held hostage.

Dude if you cannot do anything with the game let it go. Just let it go. What is it doing for you?
  20. VariableFire Loyal Player

Yes, you should thank them because they're still around, providing warm bodies for you to play with and extra money to keep the game going, even though their gaming experience is worse than yours. So thank them with putting up with you.
    • Like x 2