Devs, why does Atomic DPS still suffer from interrupt?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by JohnnyDWellens, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

I know we're inching closer and closer to Stat Revamp, but please, take some time and fix the issue with Atomic DPS getting knocked down and immediately losing the stack damage. Nothing is more frustrating that trying to do current content and getting knocked down by a Starro or any random enemy and having to restart my stack rotation. All the other powers with AMs like Atomic have this addressed. Why does Atomic still have to deal with it?

I get wanting to wait and say things like "We want to put our resources into Stat Revamp," I really do get it. But that doesn't help me now. You can't use future changes that have been promised for quite some time to justify not addressing player issues. Please denote some time to this so that myself and many others don't pull our hair out.
    • Like x 5
  2. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

I believe you mean disrupt, not interrupt. Interrupt is terminology specific to being countered.

Unlike other powersets, Atomic has two Advanced Mechanics that can be used situationally. Not only that, but the build-and-burst mechanic has slightly higher damage than combos. Things can't be all benefits and no drawbacks. Combos require you to build and maintain the QGA and successfully complete combos for maximum efficacy, build-and-burst simply requires you to avoid being CC'd until you get all the powers off for maximum efficacy.
    • Like x 2
  3. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Let me list some advantages and disadvantages of each of the AMs.

1234 burst AM- Has potential to do huge amounts of burst damage, arguably easier, faster and safer. However, it is inconsistent and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a grace period.

Combo AM- Definitely more consistent, the aura can last about 10 seconds (meaning you have the damage boost for about 10 seconds) and although you can get countered easily, you have a lot of time to get up and continue. You can even pick people up. This one is like a double edged blade. Although you can counter by melee or block breaking with atomic you can also suffer from being blocked or lunged at. You also so don't see super huge numbers with this AM.

So in short, if you want consistency, decent numbers with a tiny bit more challenge then go combo AM.

If you are OK with inconsistency (can either hit huge numbers or meh ones but easy to be disrupted) then go with 1234 burst.
    • Like x 1
  4. light FX Steadfast Player

Mental and gadgets AM has a grace period where if u are interrupted u can pop up/break out and continue the dmg and get the big hit. And atomics 1234 burst AM doesnt have this. Its the same AM and 2 of the powers have an advantage over the other. This has been going on since atomic went live and have never made any sense. Comboing has nothing to do with what hes asking about. People say they want balance but inconsistencies like this remain in the game. It wont matter after the stat revamp but it should of never stayed this way this entire time. Its a flaw that creates imbalance.

And other people say the combos do more dmg but every single time i parse the 1234 does more. And i know how to combo and clip. Ive tested this every single way possible. And the 1234 always does more dmg if u arent interrupted and ive yet to see anyone post a video showing the combos doing more dmg when parsing. But again the combos dont matter. Atomic should have a grace period for thre 1234. I get it has 2 AMs but whats the point of having 2 if people are gonna say ya have to use only 1 of the AMs to be viable? Its just flawed all around.
    • Like x 1
  5. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

I hear what you're saying. And I agree that it's very cool that Atomic has two AM mechanics. But it's as light FX stated above:

If the 1234 AM has a grace period with Mental and Gadgets then Atomic should also have it. Trying to use the argument that Atomic has options because you have 2 AMs doesn't change this issue. Unfortunately the combo mechanic is vastly underpowered when compared to the 1234 mechanic. But it too suffers from the same issue of interrupt.

When running Underworld Trials most groups do not use a Tank so the DPS is the target of the boss/adds. Whether you're using the combo or 1234 Atomic suffers greatly when DPSing in content like this.

It's not a have cake and eat it too situation. Mental, Gadgets and Atomic have the same 1234 cake, but while Mental and Gadgets have a knife to cut it straight...Atomic has a slotted spoon.
    • Like x 2
  6. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

Whoops! I did mean disrupt. But interrupts also factor into it. Atomic does not have the grace period that the other 1234 mechanics do.
  7. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

I want to make something clear with this post. This isn't meant to say "Atomic should get all the perks!" There is no suggestion of getting to have cake and eat it too. And this isn't about how Atomic should have all benefits and no drawback. The issue is that Gadgets and Mental have the same mechanic Atomic does but they don't have the same grace period. All the AMs have a grace period to them if you get interrupted or disrupted. But Atomic's 1234 mechanic is missing that grace period. Adjusting it just brings it more in line with the other powers that utilize the same technique.

And yes, I know Atomic has the option to combo. But this post isn't about that mechanic.
  8. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Having the option to combo is why it doesn't get the grace period.
  9. Gimpy Loyal Player

Wait,,,,what,,,,you mean Quantum has a grace period?

That's odd, at anytime I get interrupted in a rotation I might as well start from 1 if I plan on having any "significant damage" ( it's quantum and capped so I don't think significant applies but used it anyway) from the rotation.
  10. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

Quantum's mechanic is not the 1234. It's all built around Time Bomb and doing as many powers as you can until it explodes. But even that has more of a grace period than Atomic. And where are you getting Quantum? Nobody has mentioned it here. Only Mental and Gadgets.
  11. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

You're sure of this? The devs have confirmed it somewhere?
  12. Gimpy Loyal Player

I got q because I read your other posts, specifically this one,

Quantum is one of those AM powers and does not have a grace period when interrupted.
  13. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Yes, I'm sure of this. While I don't think they specifically said "no, we're not gonna" Atomic people begged and pleaded when the grace period was added for Celestial, and then wept bitter tears when it was added to the Advanced Interaction AMs instead of their own.

I'm not going to do the searching. They have stated repeatedly that they, categorically, do not plan on adjusting powers in advance of the revamp. So, whether it deserves a change or not is a moot subject anyway.
  14. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Quantum does have something similar for a missed Time Bomb.
    • Like x 1
  15. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

Referring to Mental, Gadgets and Atomic. Apologies for the confusion. I thought it was a given considering Mental, Gadgets and Atomic have the same 1234 mechanic and those have been the only powers mentioned in this thread. Nice outside the box thinking, but this is a very specific box we're talking about and Quantum doesn't quite fit inside.
  16. Gimpy Loyal Player

98% of the time there isn't anything to hit after a missed TB since the other powers have KO'ed everything

But a missed TB isn't from being interrupted, it's from the target moving away from TB's AoE or everything being dead before it explodes.
    • Like x 1
  17. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

I don't think you can take them not addressing it as confirmation that it's intended. That's making an assumption and there are plenty of things that go unaddressed that are considered outstanding problems/issues/frustrations. I think it's best to take official word for it over the assumptions and conclusion jumping.

I have read them stating that. And this isn't a request for an overhaul. But as I stated in the original post, I am aware that they are prioritizing Stat Revamp over fixes to the powers as they currently are. Your confirmation of what I've already said is appreciated. Now the real point of this is to request that the devs add in a grace period before Stat Revamp goes live. If you disagree with that feel free to comment on why. But you confirming things the public already knows gets us nowhere.
  18. JohnnyDWellens Level 30

He's right, Time Bomb does have a "backup plan" of sorts when Time Bomb misses.
  19. xXHeadlinerXx Dedicated Player

So basically when you say you are sure of the reason what you actually mean is you aren't sure but that's just what you personally think the reason should be. Is that correct?
    • Like x 2
  20. The Anxient Loyal Player

Love all the 1234 is better than combos talk in here! Lol
    • Like x 1