Some people simply should not try to lead a raid

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TechWarrior0329, Mar 4, 2017.

1. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Feel free to add any horror stories that may have happened to you in this thread. So tonight I had on my CR 175 Munitions DPS and was working on grabbing COINS! The night went pretty well and I completed the 410 Event, all three dailies, the duo, the UT alert and the OLY Raid. It was getting pretty late and I was thinking about just logging when i saw a guy building a GOM so I figured I'd join and have that out of the way for the week as well.

So I am the third guy to join the team and that was after I explained that my now Cr 180 DPS was a munitions ... So my guess is if I'd answered with the "wrong" power set I'd have never been invited to begin withbut hey that's his option and apparently i made the cut.

SLOWLY the team built up and at one point I am standing around in my lair watching the Team leaders health and Power bar go up and down and thinking "So are you building a team or in the Monster Zone attacking stuff?" I never said that out loud in chat but at one point the leadership switched briefly while one of the other DPS invited 2 players and then gave it back to our fearless leader. So at least 25% of the team our fearless leader had no hand in recruiting at all other than letting some one else do it while he attacked stuff.

We get down to a point where we have 1 TROLL, 1 HEALER and 5 DPS and of course someone mentioned "We still NEED a tank" More time passes and finally another player joins the team... a second HEALER so we are doing GOM with NO Tank. This led to one DPS quitting and another delay while we replaced him with.. ANOTHER DPS.. still no Tank but we qued up to head inside. Now by this time I have lost track of how long we have even been building this thing so I just mindlessly open up and que for the raid.

About a minute later, I was actually surprised no one had fallen asleep waiting for the team to be built, we arrived..... at the entrance to the Olympus raid (which as i mentioned above I had already done that day and now even if i wanted to use replays to do again I couldn't). At that point I turned around and walked the heck out, quit the team and logged for the night. No clue if our so called leader simply forgot what RAID he'd started to recruit for or if he just assumed everyone was OK with doing OLY before we did GOM.

Not a huge deal but I'm sorry if you are advertising your recruiting for ONE thing you do it and don't just assume its okay to switch at the last second. Also I have to admit the dead silence on the LFG from your team leader while you can see he is obviously running some other mission INSTEAD of recruiting send a bad vibe out to the team.

LOL Rant over thank you very much for your time and trust me I have seen far worse from leaders but this guy keep me on line almost an added 30 minutes for absolutely NO rewards at all.. Thought I'd share. Anyone else have any juicy "OMG WHO told you you could lead anything?" stories to share?
    • Like x 1
  2. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

I was actually in a good mood before I started running Olympus and God of Monsters today. Olympus, we had a good unit. Moving through the adds like death's own laxative. Then key players just up and started leaving. And that brought everything to a grinding halt. (Guessing that was their intention.) One player was spamming power, their power bar was empty. Said needed more power. Seriously like draining me like crazy.

So I obliged the player. I'm trying to deal with adds in front of me and supply power. We successfully defeated Athena, I was like yeah! Move on to next boss, then next thing I know I'm kicked. I re-queue and first question I get as I re-enter is can you dps? Luckily 2nd team I managed to make it through to the end. Without the juvey bs. All I want to do is try and get most of my alts through AFIII, play my role to the best of my ability, get my coins. Considering it's Sunday already. Time's running out to get rest of my alts through the content.
  3. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I've had days like that. Well not exactly I can't recall the last time i was kicked but GOD have i seen some weird and dumb behavior. As example a while back I was on a Phantom Zone alert and we worked our way through the first part and defeated the malfunctioning Jor El AI with no real problems at all and then POOF two of the three DPS suddenly just quit. No team wipe, no major issues and since this was a PUG and they were both from different League it was not a call for help from a league(unless two sent of a distress call at the exact same moment .. I'd love to see the odds on THAT happening and causing two guys on one team to vanish at almost the very same moment). My best guess?

Well honestly I don't have a BEST GUESS but I suspect it was the frequently seen "We didn't defeat everything fast enough. This alert will take 2-3 minutes longer than i hoped for. I'll quit and find another team" (POOF). Now the funny part.. The two of us left reopened the Q, got 2 new team mates, both a little lower in CR than the two that vanished, and completed the entire alerrt with no deaths, no issues and in pretty good over all time. So what ever caused those two to bolt cost them what turned out to be a really enjoyable alert.

Sadly these days even if nothing bad happens at all if they don't THINK its going quick enough they either quit or start kicking hoping to get stronger better team mates (in THEIR opinion). The part I always find totally stupid? Okay you just quit a team that basically was doing great but wasn't moving quick enough to please you. NOW you get to wait out the deserter penalty (no huge deal its only 2 minutes) and then que back up and spend even more time waiting for the game to find you 3 new team mates. In the mean time the team you LEFT already has 1 boss defeated, picked up new members and could very well be done and walking out with all their marks and armor drops WHILE your still waiting for that new team to form.... AND YOU SAVED TIME THIS WAY? lol No one said every one playing any MMO is a genius and a lot of them find new and exciting ways to prove that fact daily
    • Like x 1
  4. gemii Dedicated Player

i don't use LFG at all, to many big ego nerds in there. The only time i did use it was when i was doing my legend team-up feats

if you had to explain to someone your a certain powerset just to make the cut i wouldn't even want to play with that person.
    • Like x 2
  5. SuperNerdGeekOverkill Dedicated Player

yep. there are a lot of people like that. sadly.
  6. sharpy36 Active Player

I lead groups all the time. I've made hundreds, and I'm sure I'll do hundreds more. The way I like to put together a group is by using a sort of point based system. There is nothing official, but it's just something that I have found to work well for me. Hopefully it can help others make groups. Here is the essence of how it works. This is a simple example of my thought process.

I will give each instance a value of 1-1000. I will decide on the minimum amount of points I would like for that specific run. My goal is to simply meet the minimum number I've decided. I will then start looking for people. I don't care who I get. I will keep inviting people in a way that makes sure I meet my minimum instance requirement. No role or stat matters to me at this point, I just need to reach my decided goal. Sometimes my minimum goal will be too high to reach without specific roles, but my goal is not based on a specific set of roles, stats etc. I care about the team as a whole. Each person has their point value decided based on their experience, skill, SP(usually not much value), CR(usually little value), and whatever else I consider relevant for that specific run. If we meet the minimum goal, the group is fine. I don't care what roles or stats I end up with. For example, if my group scores high enough with 4 dps, and people with only 100 SP, then I'm fine with that. Each persons character does not matter, it's a group effort. The point requirement for each instance is based on my mood, and how well I'm playing that day. If I have all 4 roles, but they don't add up to my total point requirement, then that is not a group I'm very happy with. Being able to decide a minimum instance point value is entirely based on experience. As a leader, it is your job to decide the requirement for each group. If the group doesn't meet my point requirement, then I will tell the group that I do not know if we will beat it, but we can always try if everybody is willing to possibly fail. I have found that my success rate for accomplishing whatever goal the team set out to accomplish is VERY good. Many other groups made by others want every person to be a minimum CR, SP, and a specific power type and role. Everybody can meet those requirements and still fail miserably. Then the blame game starts, people start getting kicked, angry and the group eventually disbands. Everybody would have just wasted hours accomplishing nothing.
    My point system isn't perfect, but it has worked very well for me, and my groups. If a run is not going well, we will decide on a maximum acceptable time for the group to keep trying. But generally, length of the run is irrelevant. If it takes an extra 5 minutes to finish because of the group we end up with, it doesn't matter to me. The goal is to get through together and keep it fun. High CR people might be excluded, despite how good their character stats are. Everybody must contribute more than just character stat numbers in order to help bring the total group value high enough. I also try to keep my groups first come, first serve.

If I feel like I can't make fair decisions for a group for whatever reason, I will not lead one.
    Also, everybody has their bad days. Just try to keep it fun.
    -Vallerie
  7. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Yeah that was sort of a first clue that things might get strange when I joined the "TEAM" last night. I realize there are some folks out there that have a thing against certain power sets but seriously? This was a SATURDAY night and there had to be a dozen or more team leaders begging for everything from Healers, to Trolls, to Tanks and yeah even DPS and that guy is going to refuse to invite based on a power sets? And then he turned right around and decided "Ahhhh who needs a tank! let's just go with 2 healers and we should be fine"

I think one of my favorites was a long time ago a team leader was on recruiting for a alert (to Be honest so long ago I can't even recall which one OR which ALT I was playing... HEY I'm old I'm allowed LOL). The guy had a CR requirement and it was about 2-3 higher than my ALT and about 2-3 away from being higher that the content was intended for. Now I didn't even bother sending a message since I assumed I'd just be ignored anyway but I was looking to do that same mission and joined another team being built by another leader. Our team Q'd up and headed inside, completed the alert with no problem and then returned to the outside world once again. What did I find when I got back to looking for a new team and mission to do? The exact same guy with the HIGH standards still trying to fill the slots to do the same alert I had just finished. Now for all I know it could have been the guy had a really bad rep and no one wanted anything to do with him but on the surface it sure looked like the STANDARDS he set for joining his team made the recruiting process so long and agonizingly slow that it took him longer to form a team than it did to complete the alert.
    • Like x 1
  8. Johnny0276 Dedicated Player

Ha. Yeah...I was healing in PZ. And I stick to same routine when running it. Left passage, right and then middle. Clear the adds and defense turrets. Then Jor-El. But this one pug group, all dps just spit up. I was left in the middle saying um...go team! in different directions it seems. lol. I was running back and forth trying to heal both parties. We ended up with a buttload of adds and defense turrets AND Jor-El. Guy said to me, just dps! What a friggin' nightmare. 1 or 2 of them left. I can't remember. We got new players and a mess of a raid to drudge our way through. At least finally made it through.
  9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Oh dear god I have had an experience like that too. A team never went left or right just straight up the middle and woke up Jor El. Lots of fun at that point dealing with Crystals while a pile of mobs were trying to take our heads off. That wasn't too long ago so I am wondering if the problem there was one, or more, of those folks that created a new character and then bought the upgrade to 100 CR and then proceeded to be carried to THAT point.. because THAT was a nightmare.
  10. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

There are still people ignorant enough to think that only ice and mental are good dps. Once I am in group a leader asked what my power is. I said atomic and got the boot right away and he said "atomic and 186 CR is weak." This was for OLY.

Fortunately there are some good leaders. I did GOMe at 188 with a 190 ice and 189 sorcery. I beat the ice dps by 1.2 mil and fell behind the sorcery by about 2 mil. Thus, atomic really is not a bad dps. I mean I've even been criticized for using the combo loadout even though it's more consistent.
  11. light FX Steadfast Player

Some people are just super ignorant and pay attention to nothing and expect everyone else to do things for them. Gotta love the end game player base :rolleyes:
  12. Balton hero Committed Player

Had a weird thing happen to me a few days ago. Generally try to stay out of duos with my nature alt because of self-consciousness about her (lack of) damage, but with the ancient coin weekend, bit the bullet and ran Raising Hades with her. First day, paired with a 176(or might've been 179, I forget, was 17-something) mental---outdamaged them 3 to 1. Then, next day, ran with a 188 ice, and kept up with him in damage---had me thinking they buffed nature without telling anyone--until the third day, when I ran it with an ice who knew what they were doing, and my damage was poo again. True story.
  13. |The 3rror Committed Player

don't blame you for walking out lol it just like when someone que as as a dps and people find out whats yo power they want you to tank cause they wanna dps i switch to tank and if the burn is slow i just stop what I'm doing and switch to my pvp armor and wipe the group :)
  14. ShadoRaven Well-Known Player

I had experiences on both ends of the spectrum this weekend.

Random qued for GoM with my Earth main and got in honestly one of the best groups I have ever been a part of. Everyone knew exactly what to do, and just ran through the entire raid with ease. No wipes, and actually got the Egg feat without even trying for it. I forgot to look at the time at the end, but I would guess it was around 10 minutes or so. I've been in many pre-made groups that weren't nearly as good.

On the other end, I random qued for Oly on my FIre alt and got in a group of 6 league members, one other random, and myself. Everything is going fine til we get to the second boss fight (Hecate, i think?) and everyone pauses in the doorway. Then this pops up in the group chat directed to me ... "why aren't you using your weapon?" Ummm ... cuz I'm fire, why in the world would I use my weapon? "Start using your weapon or be kicked" So, I check the scoreboard and I'm trailing the 1st dps by less than 2k damage, next closest to us is a good 2mil behind. After advising them to worry about their own damage more than watching what I'm doing, I see Batman on the screen. Then I get a tell from one of the other league members, and I quote " stupid MFer, learn how to use your power." Lol, whatever. I would guess they're still in that raid now trying to finish.
  15. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Your wall of text was too long, but if no one else steps up, someone will at least try to provide some direction. If you see that person is wrong, then I guess it's your turn to speak up.
  16. Mightyhon Well-Known Player

We are living in hard times, dear friend
  17. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

AWWW let me condense it for you then. JOINED TEAM that was forming on LFG. Leader said we doing GOM. Leader took a lifetime to finally get a full team. Finally qued up and when we arrived inside .. WE WERE DOING OLYMPUS which BTW I had already completed earlier and at that point even if I wanted to use replays to do it again (which I didn't) I can't because I am IN THE RAID. I SPOKE up by leaving. If you can't even deliver what you advertise your planning to do.. then don't advertise at all.

Short enough for you or should I use smaller words too?
  18. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Hmm sounds like you were better off getting the kick than dealing with THAT. It is Hecate BTW but that's just plain DUMB to kick someone because you NOT using your weapon enough? Takes all kinds I suppose.
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Make ya own groups. ;) I have zero people left in league, thanks to a certain someone. I've been able to log in weekly and get both raids done. I do feel ya, but all I can keep saying over and over is form your own group. Yes, yes, I know everyone says it. Sorry, but it's true. I talk to my group. For GOM, I ask the tank if he can solo. If not, I shout for a dps/tank for 2nd boss. Most healers don't like me cause I run 2 heals. Let me tell you, I have stomped on some healer egos.
  20. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

LOL kind of you to cater to people with tiny attention spans. Your post wasn't even long.