Why are so many files so often corrupted??

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by WhiteCollarKiller, Aug 22, 2016.

1. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Since about a month (or two) I experience a problem that now occurs frequently (at least once every 3 days). When I go to a place like Arkham Island or to Gotham Sewers in the Wayne Manor Duo, the game crashes.
    I then start the launchpad and open the tool icon. "Validate game assets" checks the files. It finds always errors in the files and exchanges them.

>>
    Checking game installation...
    All files are up to date
    Checking all game files...
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/METROPOLIS/MMET101/LB/MMET101_LB_193.MAP, even though size 892,920 and time 1467108587 matched. Expected 1870772256 but detected 616487663.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0131/MPYR0131_SKYDOME.MAP, even though size 696,303 and time 1454659217 matched. Expected 3845730382 but detected 2848438907.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0171/ART/MPYR0171_ART_003.MAP, even though size 774,122 and time 1467110427 matched. Expected 2374493256 but detected 3737524912.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0225/MPYR0225.MAP, even though size 1,466,358 and time 1454682479 matched. Expected 3795334840 but detected 2253714364.
    Found 4 file(s) to update.
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/METROPOLIS/MMET101/LB/MMET101_LB_193.MAP
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0131/MPYR0131_SKYDOME.MAP
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0171/ART/MPYR0171_ART_003.MAP
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0225/MPYR0225.MAP
    Finished downloading 2,951,366 bytes in 0.842 seconds (3,505,185 bytes per second)
    <<

You might be seduced to say that there is a virus on my system ... but if that were so, it would not always produce exactly the same errors, would it? And I can assure you that I always close the game regularly (apart from the times it crashes ...). Please look into it!
  2. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Scan dein Sytem nach Viren. Sicher ist sicher.

Überprüfe, ob mindestens 20% des Festplattenspeicher noch frei sind und wie sehr der belegte Speicher fragmentiert ist.

Außerdem gibt es noch diverse Programme, mit denen sich Festplatten auf schreib und Lesefehler überprüfen lassen. Denk daran, dass auch Überhitzung Fehler auslösen könnnen.
  3. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Also, der Reihe nach (aber zuerst mal danke für deine Antwort! :))
    As this is an international forum, allow me to switch to English for an answer:

My Windows Defender, always freshly updated, found nothing. And I am extremely carefull with surfing and e-mails.

Free partition space is 75%.
    Fragmentation is 1% in this partition.
    The hard disk drive is constantly checked by Windows 10. So errors are known, when they occur. So far my system found no problem on the computer on which DCUO is installed.
    The error above mentioned occurs also in cool nights. Apart from this I have 4 (four!!) coolers running in my PC (making it quite noisy ...)

But wouldn't it be strange that - a virus or a hardware problem being the issue - it would only and always strike on DCUO and nowhere else and there always exactly on the same places??? C3P0 would say that the odds for this event would be 1 to 1.239.087.

No, the reason must be within the game! Maybe an unexpected conflict between programming and something in my system hardware that takes care, that some game files are not closed correctly, so that the error repeats itself constantly without being able to be reproduced on another system. No idea how and why, but it's a problem within DCUO!

Can you do me a favor, Lady? Could you please verify your game assets on launchpad tools and post, whether errors were found and - if so - which ones? Thanks a lot!
  4. Wicked Banana Well-Known Player

Heya WhiteCollarKiller

The corrupted files on your post are maps of areas. One is in Metro and the other are instances. When you log out, do you simply press X or you go from Esc>Settings>Exit Game?

If you press the X, there is a possibility that these files are still loaded in the memory and they get corrupted or are being flagged as still in use.

If that is your case, try to exit normally and see if you still get errors.
  5. Wicked Banana Well-Known Player

omg nevermind, i just saw this And I can assure you that I always close the game regularly (apart from the times it crashes ...). ^^

The reason you get errors though is because of the files are in use when you exit the game, so the startup check finds them with a different CRC and downloads them again. The CRC check does not necessarily means corrupted file, maybe an in use flag can change the contents of the file.
  6. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Yes, you are right in how I close the game. Playing DCUO in full screen mode, there is no simple X to klick on, so it's always by Esc - Exit (without settings in between ...;))
    What you say, Banana, is exactly what I am assuming ... some files that are not closed correctly. And the DCOU techs should look into it, because there is only a chance that the game itself keeps those files open instead of closing them correctly on leaving the maps, thus corrupting them.
  7. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Sorry for double post ... just to make sure, I just checked again ...
    Three of the four files found above, were corrupt again.
    What did I do yesterday in DCUO?
    • played the new training event with 2 chars
    • did one trigon event
    • was in the vault with 2 chars
    That's about it. I was in my own base and in the HoD between instances.
    The trigger for the error can't be the new event, nor TP LPvE, because this specific error came into appearance before both of those events were available ... On the other hand, the error might have been cause before yesterday ... :mad:

>>
    Updated File List

Checking game installation...

All files are up to date
    Checking all game files...
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/METROPOLIS/MMET101/LB/MMET101_LB_193.MAP, even though size 892,920 and time 1467108587 matched. Expected 1870772256 but detected 597545038.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0131/MPYR0131_SKYDOME.MAP, even though size 696,303 and time 1454659217 matched. Expected 3845730382 but detected 3044584273.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0225/MPYR0225.MAP, even though size 1,466,358 and time 1454682479 matched. Expected 3795334840 but detected 2634278147.
    *Warning: Fullscan found CRC mismatch on C:/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/DC Universe Online/UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/TEXTUREFILECACHE/SUIT_MED2.TFC, even though size 27,594,752 and time 1457029281 matched. Expected 4162372685 but detected 409946658.
    Found 4 file(s) to update.
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/METROPOLIS/MMET101/LB/MMET101_LB_193.MAP
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/TEXTUREFILECACHE/SUIT_MED2.TFC
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0131/MPYR0131_SKYDOME.MAP
    Creating UNREAL3/DCGAME/COOKEDPC/MAPS/PLAYROOMS/MPYR0225/MPYR0225.MAP
    Finished downloading 16,624,109 bytes in 4.131 seconds (4,024,233 bytes per second)
    <<

To make sure that this error gets a bit of attention, I will cancel my membership at end of the month ...
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Most malware are built to be able to hide from the Windows Defender. Use a different scanner, even most free ones have better detection. You can even install it for only temporarely.

You should also contact the Daybreak Games support.

Just to doublecheck: You do not have any cheatengines installed for any game right? even legal engines and modifiers for a different UE3 game could cause problems.
  9. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Virus: Why should any malware ONLY attack DCUO files (and always the same ones)?
    Cheat engine? Never had one. What for? I'm best of the best even without any cheating ... ;)
    No, seriously, I am a bit too old to start with this kind of kiddies' stuff. Either I can play a game or I can play it on "easy mode" or I don't play it at all.
  10. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Explaining why malware does this or that goes beyond what I know - I only know that they sometimes do werid stuff.

I still recommend you contact Daybreak Games. Even if you cancel your sub, they'll just think you can't afford it anymore or don't like it....they also can't do anything as long as they don't know that there is a problem...
  11. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Okay. I just thought that turning to support with tech probs would result in nothing but the standard answer: "Post your problems in the forums!" At least this is, what I heard several times from different sources. So I thought, I'd take a shortcut ...:cool: