I asked the Tank in Blackest Night why he wears dps-gear

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by kentasaiba, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korlick Loyal Player

Dude...you can say whatever you want, but dominance doesnt affects aggro. Thats a fact.
    • Like x 2
  2. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Yep, you have the reading comprehension of a 2 year old.. Read my posts again and point where I implied anything about modding, or stating that you said anything about mods.

I'll wait for that quote.
  3. BumblingB I got better.

No, you are actually incorrect here. You can go into any content in tank stance and wear DPS gear and gain aggro. You wont be able to pull nor survive because you don't have the minimum dom requirement nor survival because you have no real health/defense, but you can gain their aggro.

Oh and there is a consumable you can craft that will do the same thing tanks can do. It's called mass provocation agent.
    • Like x 4
  4. Korlick Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  5. Emoney Dedicated Player

Well then let me tell you what actually happened (I was there lol)

When I would hit burning determination, it would set them on fire, they would take one step towards me.....but the very next power the dps used made them jump him.....then the healer then another dps, until they were next to me and then killed me based on proximity.

If I had agro they woulda killed me first as you think......but they didn't.
  6. Korlick Loyal Player

There was a time when powers like Burning Determination or Burnout didnt work like they should as taunts.
  7. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I've seen tanks do DWF in full dps gear. Atleast to statsmatter become a thing, i see nothing wrong
  8. Emoney Dedicated Player

Honestly this whole thread highlights a huge problem with the role of tank, this community, and the game.

After five years people are still confused. I've never been one to listen to players or devs, I believe what I see and play.....and well Tank role in this game is screwy and not working as intended. Been that way for several powers over the years. What works for ice doesn't necessarily work for fire....or earth...etc.

Just another reason the next few months will be devastating....and most of all the reason we lack tanks in the game.
  9. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

dom VIII in errr thang ;)
  10. Proxystar #Perception

The question I ask is are they doing it on purpose knowing full well the implications or are they doing because they're idiots and will continue trying to do it.

These sorts of things should be kept as an emergency armory to try something if all dps die or to do with a league.

Subjecting a pug run to your experimental hybrid build is disrespectful to the other 7 people in the groups whose time you might end up wasting because you refuse to actually play a support role properly when that is required of you.

If it's a duo or an alert then go for gold with your experiments but try to avoid doing so in raids, sms or elite content.
  11. Proxystar #Perception

It's not skewey or working incorrectly its simply people not understanding the basics.

I blame the fact this is also a console game so many players load this game up on console and completely lack basic mmo concept knowledge because mmos on consoles are not as common as they are on pc.

Most pc players have some background in mmos.

I'm not saying it's the console players fault but it is I believe a consequence of the lack of experience in general that comes about as a result.

What I think could be useful is a display that can show the hate table a lot of other mmos have that option and i think that would help show tanks what exactly they are doing to get hate in the first place and how they go about keeping it.

Regardless of power type the basics of tanking remain the same the only variable is the mechanic in which you engage them.

Ice has primarily shields.
    Earth has brick and damage absorption
    Rage has damage absorption then mitigation
    Atomic has damage absorption and self heals
    Fire has self heals.

Other than that all tanks powers gain aggro simply by using powers.

Your pulls are based on dominance but bear in mind you can't pull a boss only adds or some sub bosses.

Pulling a boss shouldn't be confused with drawing aggro if you're hitting them with a pull move your not pulling your just drawing aggro or hate.

Continuing to hit a move every 8 seconds or so will maintain that aggro.

Double tanking adds a bit of complexity in terms of single taunts but nothing other than that.

A single taunt will merely over ride any other taunts for the duration so the other tank doesn't steal aggro of a specific target.

I.e splitting bosses.
    • Like x 1
  12. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Lol.. I was just giving you an overall lesson in tanking since you clearly didn't know what Tauting and Aggro meant.

You stated that you had to spec for max aggro, that itself is not possible. I just thought I'd add in the Tanking 101 since you were not familiar with it.

Scrap dominance if you want (it was just extra info).. Aggro isn't something that you spec for, its an innate ability that you get by being in tank stance when casting a superpower.
    • Like x 1
  13. Volkenraider Loyal Player

PM mate
  14. Hraesvelg Always Right

Stop. Just...stop. Any power will aggro, this has been explained many times. Quit trying to justify your first post's wording. I'll need hard evidence that you've EVER seen a person try to tank without specing ANY powers, much less that it's common enough to be commented on. Just...stop while you're behind. LOL
    • Like x 1
  15. inferno Loyal Player

Of all the replies you've made up to this point; this is the most reasonable answer you have given. By your admission, even as you have tanked in other MMOs, you have never done it in this game. You are trying to translate what you know from other games but different games, different rules. It is one thing to try to translate over what you know, to try and learn what tanking is in this game; and make that education go faster for you. It is another to take that same knowledge and try to argue with players who have tanked and have more experience in tanking in this game based on your assumptions.

It's okay to admit we don't know everything, it's okay to make a mistake; it's even better when we make attempts to learn from our mistakes. It seems like you enjoy this game and now you have another aspect of this game to learn about and enjoy.
    • Like x 2
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Im sure if i keep reading someone will say they should help the guy learn tanking. And as i scroll down yup there it is. I will never understand why players think other players are obligated to teach people the game. That is daybreak and the dev teams job. Not ours. Last i checked we as players are paying for the game as entertainment. Not to work for daybreak and be teachers. Nothing wrong with a lil advice obviously. But it is not our job to teach other players to figure things out. The game should do that or they can do it on their own like a bunch of others have already done.

This u should help every player thing imo has gotten ridiculous. 90% of the time u get ignored when trying to help someone. U cant help someone that doesnt want to be helped. But i guess we should all log on and spend half our playtime teaching other people how to play :rolleyes:

And let me be clear. There is nothing wrong with helping someone and giving them advice. Ive done it many many times. But none of us are under any obligation to sit there and teach a player the basics of their role in and end game raid or alert. I think its silly that there is an expectation for players to do that. Also the tank stuff is pretty funny to read. Any powers u use in tank role gets aggro. That is basic. U dont need hard taunts. Those are for when there is more then 1 tank trying to separate bosses. Sure u can use them and use the pulls like rage pull and storm for ice. But u dont NEED to those. I atomic tank and dont have a single taunt on my bar or the teleport pull. I use atom splitter and i hold aggro fine.
    • Like x 2
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Will just repeat what others have said....

There is NO speccing for Aggro.
  18. bmce84 Loyal Player

And what did you do about it?, offered some help or just kicked him?
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

It is written in the EULA;
    "Thou shall teach to new player 3 days a week..... and twice on Friday." ;)

But seriously..... trying to teach a player that did not ask for you help...... pretty much a waste of time. As you mention they will pretty much ignore anything you say.

Heck.... we have a perfect example in this very thread of people trying to teach/help out a player..... and that player that keeps on arguing with all those who try to tell him that there is no such thing as speccing for Aggro.
  20. metalfenix Committed Player

And that's why the game locks me out in brainiac ship if I dare to play atomic, fire, ice, earth or rage :D , I'll never understand how tanking works and I would be a menace to all groups if I dared to tank lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.