I asked the Tank in Blackest Night why he wears dps-gear

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by kentasaiba, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emoney Dedicated Player

As a fire tank of five years I can say as tank, there are pulls, taunts and every other power. Any power as a tank will establish agro. Taunts keep the agro for 8-12 secs, pulls will pull the agro'd enemies to you.

Dominance does play a part in aggro. You must have the minimum amount to break the will of NPCs....that means for anything whether it be agro, pulls or taunts. Tank gear alone usually gives you the minimum required dom....after that its only for healing CC and shields.
  2. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

You're right about the pulls because that's a crowd control effect and you have to have the required dom in order to break the will of NPCs. You are wrong about taunting and aggro itself, the devs themselves have stated so multiple times.
    • Like x 2
  3. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Dude... no offense I just read the thread and you are indeed miss informed. You are trying to play off a knowledge issue where you got called out

Aggro = getting adds/boss attention directed to you by performing a superpower while in tank stance (taunting), all moves aggro (not sure if winter ward is still bugged and aggro dumps).. you can't SPEC for aggro.

Dominance = Ability to control adds (need to pass the certian CR threshold)

Cetrian bosses have aggro dump moves, where you need to re establish the taunt

Or you just tried a weak troll attempt.. your snarky replies just make you look like (my theory is that you probably are) an idiot.
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

The one thing you need to realize when thinking about tanking in DCUO versus tanking in almost any other MMO is that there is no threat race in DCUO at all. There's no such thing as a "high-threat" rotation. DPS will never, ever pull off of you during the pull or burst windows unless you stop pushing buttons. That is because every power you use in tank stance is what would be referred to as a taunt in most other MMOs. You press the button and you are top threat on the target and up to 7 other mobs within a certain radius of it. The only powers that behave differently are like the one you posted earlier in that they only aggro the targeted mob and override any other tank's aggro so you can separate two bosses, for example.

Compared to WoW, SWTOR, Wildstar or most other MMOs that use some form of the trinity, aggro management in DCUO is remedial kindergarten stuff. The real skill shows in how the player manages their mitigation mechanics and utilizes the counter system.
    • Like x 2
  5. Harlequin Devoted Player

Dominance has absolutely nothing at all to do with aggro. Nothing.
    • Like x 5
  6. Volkenraider Loyal Player

What the heck does respeccing have to do with anything?... You just confirmed my theory that you are indeed an idiot

Your loadout in tank stance doesn't matter in terms of taunting lol, (some breakout moves might not taunt)

But then again, you have the "aggro spec" LOL
  7. Streven Dedicated Player

I think we can all lay off Mister Please now. He already admitted he isn't experienced with tanking mechanics in DCUO and he's going to try a tank toon himself to learn the mechanics. At this point we should be encouraging him and not continue to beat him up. Just saying.
    • Like x 3
  8. Harlequin Devoted Player

Taunts do something in this game, just not what they do in almost every other trinity based MMO on the planet. The hardest thing about tanking in this game when you come from a background as a tank in other MMOs is forgetting almost everything you knew.
    • Like x 2
  9. Volkenraider Loyal Player

You will still taunt adds or the boss in tank stance regardless of what superpowers you are using... Not sure if you know how to read man. I'll explain it again just in case

Aggro = Ability to keep the adds/bosses attention directed at you by taunting them with a superpower in tank stance

Taunting = Grabbing your enemies attention by casting a superpower (in tank stance you will automatically get the attention directed at you). Some breakout superpowers might not taunt, not sure if bugged, its been that way for a while

Dominance = Ability to control the adds/boss if you meet the level's threshold

Common myths = Dominance affects aggro.. You can still taunt and hold aggro without having the required dominance
  10. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Other games require you to build it up right? I remember someone who had a WoW background used to say it was like that, or similar
  11. Helderman Dedicated Player

I wonder how did this person go from the Brainiac ship to Blackest Night in four days. I'm afraid I already know the answer: Replay badges. Thousands of reolay badges.
  12. Volkenraider Loyal Player

I disagree man. You shouldn't be at that stage in content and not know the basics of tanking, especially if you are playing one as well.. You had god knows how many tiers to learn your role.. Or even if you switch, you should have done content enough times to know how all roles work.

If this was Khandaq or a lowered tier alert, I am completley with you.

Its like me signing up advance economics course without knowing the basics of supply & demand or elasticity, etc
  13. Streven Dedicated Player

I'm not saying don't kick him. I'm saying take the high road. Be nice and teach him something. You never know, maybe the guy just changed powers and has never played that role before. Eithe way, we should be friendly and supportive towards our noobs unless they get hostile and obnoxious. If that happens just kick and ignore.
    • Like x 2
  14. Emoney Dedicated Player

Ok, you go into ANY raid with lower than required dom and see what happens.....adds will swarm everyone and it will be chaos.

But like I said you can't, because if you have the minimum cr (gear) you will have the minimum required dom.

Years ago we could walk in stuff under Cr.....and less than required dom.....tanking was not possible...any other superpowers would gain agro as soon as it exceeded my damage( which isn't much for a straight tank)
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

It was a joke.

Spytle himself went on record and said this regarding dominance.

16. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Again I disagree sorry. Somebody who has just switched powers and has some degree of DCUO knowledge will A) Go in with the right type of gear B) Knowing that its his first time he will look for a quick guide on how to use the new powerset, or ask someone (since hes at the blackest night stage, he must know someone)

You should definetly be helpful towards new players (Heck can't count the amount of times I've helped people and ran content both PVP and PVE so they could get used to their role), but when you are talking T7 (or T8 dunno I quit before that DLC) its unacceptable.

You will still taunt if you are positioned (at the right distance) correctly and aggro will be directed at you.. Now if we are talking about how effective of a tank you'll be with low dominance, thats another issue
  17. Volkenraider Loyal Player

I never said anything about modding mate, learn to read.
  18. Harlequin Devoted Player

That is basically correct. Think of it like the parser, sorta, only instead of damage it is recording how much threat you are generating per second. Everything everyone in the group does generates threat. Healing generates threat. Causing damage generates threat. Auto-attacking causes threat. As a tank, you need to generate more threat per second than everyone else in the group if you want to remain at the top of that chart.

There are threat modifiers on certain abilities and a few more things (like range modifiers) but that is the basic gist of it.
  19. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Dominance affects Crowd Control and survivablity as a tank, not aggro.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...gu41-testing-notes.221882/page-2#post-2840095

Generally most of your Dominance comes from your Gear and mods, so if you die then it's completely on you.
    • Like x 2
  20. Harlequin Devoted Player

If you are in naked in tank stance with a full t8 DPS who is going balls-out bursting down a mob and cast Inescapable Storm on that mob, you will not pull it because your Dom doesn't overcome the mob's Willpower but you will get aggro on it. It will completely ignore your buddy and walk right over to you and splatter your naked body all over the wall.

Dom has nothing to do with aggro at all. Nothing.
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.