Ghostbusters 2016...well that happned...Spoilers

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TheArmorsmith, Jul 15, 2016.

1. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

Lol what? Thats not how that works...that iteration of those films did die...its called reboots.

The Dark Knight had nothing to with those Batman Movies just like those Superman Movies had nothing to do with those older Superman Movies. Superman Returns wasn't in the same line as Man of Steel both where reboots. One Failed and the other succeeded enough. Thats like Saying the Ben Hur movie is the same as the First Ben Hur movie...its a reboot. And its not safe to say if they lose alot of movie they might and can cancel a sequel to the 2016 film and go for a reboot again. And if they did a 2nd one no grantee it will do well like this one is bombing currently, its not about hate its poor judgement on Sony. I think they will do a 2nd but if it flops too then its dusted that would be too many loses and they will likely reboot it years later like Fan4stic.

Its not hard if the can't make up the money the lost them a 2nd is less likely even if they came out and said it. And Paul Feig would have to go his name on this would be toxic.
  2. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

Ok I cannot speak for those who hate on it without seeing it. But I've seen it and i don't like it. I think you aren't understanding why many are hating on the film it seems. You posted the link but how does that link show that this film is doing well? They said they they are planning to do a sequel before the movie dropped so your point is what?
  3. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

You're off on some things first Batman & Robin where a reboot from Batman Begins, not sequels. Dark Knight was a reboot not a sequel. I reboot is killing off the movies before it as if they never happened in a sense like a different universe. Those Superman movies is ta good example Superman Return and IV and even Man of Steel aren't in the same universe. The Return was meant to reboot it but it flopped so they rebooted it again.

You can call it safe but its not really safe. They plan on making John Carter into more than one movie as well...how'd that go?

This movie is going to lose them money....and i can see them giving it one more shot becasue of the investment into this. Its like seeing what DC is doing with its movie's they saw who BvS did and knew it could have done better and decided to change the directions on the films seeing the Justice League Trailers. Saying they will make a sequel which we all knew since the say they where planning on that months ago becasue they had faith in the film, also that Zuul reference in the end credits should have told you something....with that said Sony could always say nope and reboot it again. But your examples where reboots not sequels.

Plus a sequel doesn't mean the first one was a hit. This one is failing no one can say other wise its a fact its in the numbers. It made $125 million in 2 weeks that's not good it just pretty much almost caught up to the cost of its ads. BvS a movie people hated made that much on its first weekend I wanna say and then dropped off hard. This movie made $46 million and came in 2nd to a movie in its second week that's another sign it was going to flop.

If you watched it and enjoyed it then good for you. And i'm not saying you can't otherwise. But for me and many others this movie was bad. I didn't like how the studio and Feig treated fans and put all men into the same category and tried to shame people pretty much into seeing it. And its not a good movie given the cast they have it would have been better.
  4. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

This movie is a modest success, it's going to land at around $120 million when it's done. It probably doesn't need to make 3x the budget as it's also "supported" by merchandising... The biggest summer flop this year is Ice Age: Collision Course. People that haven't even seen the movie seem to have a high opinion, but as it stands, reviewers that have actually seen the movie are in the majority favorable.
  5. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

We're not trying to troll, just trying to clarify your points. For example, Spiderman did not go back to Marvel. Sony still owns the rights to Spiderman. The joint deal they made with Marvel Studios is that both will equally profit where Marvel will get 100% profit for non solo films and Sony gets 100% profits for all solo films. Also all Spiderman films will be produced by Marvel meaning they have creative control but Sony of course will have final say. Plus Spiderman and any related characters in his stories can appear in any Marvel Movie and vice versa, any MCU character can appear in Spidey films. Now the idea of having Andrew Garfield appear as a cameo would be a nice nod but why stop there, why not include Tobey Maguire while you're at it, lol. Ultimately, though Sony is still trying to push their ideas of Sinester 6 and Venom, I say leave it to the people that actually know what they're doing. The same can be said for Ghostbusters, just give it to Marvel, XD.
  6. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

$120 million for this kind of a movie is bad and will lose money since the movie cost $144 million with around that amount for ads. Sorry but as of today thats not good enough for over 2 weeks. As for the reviewers yes it is try many gave high praise but they said on average a score of 65 (6.5) which is odd given that many said the film was great while giving it a 65 (6.5). Many believed that many reviewers didn't want the trouble from the studio that was calling out male reviewers. The reason that is becasue one YouTuber said how he didn't like the movie but in a way that was so respectful but turn out that the studio still went after him. But at the same time Female YouTubers that gave the movie an unfavorable review didn't get an ire, because it wouldn't help the Studio on them saying men are hating on the movie. So the reviewers score is not well trusted in the case even though I know some generally liked the movie but you can tell many didn't want the trouble. Even when Roper got hit hard for not liking the movie and know many people are telling him sorry becasue he was mostly right.

Plus wikileaks have emails from Feig and its doesn't help this situation as well.
    • Like x 1
  7. Wallachia Devoted Player

Lol you claim to have proof but ignore our proving of the opposite.

They said there would be a sequel BEFORE the movie was released, then people here are providing proof that the movie is being a failure. I don't think Sony would make a sequel for a failure.
  8. Necro Maat Well-Known Player

I saw it. It wasn't that bad actually. The trailers did it no justice. I feel like the movie's pace was doing just fine until they hit that concert scene. The music was terrible & I guess that was supposed to be part of the comedy as they referenced the music the guy was playing as bad. But it really just kinda pulled the whole thing down. Was hard to get back into it. They should've went with a decent musician, then there wouldn't have been that grinding halt feeling when that scene came up. I'd say it's about on par with the 2nd Ghostbusters movie, which was not nearly as good as the 1st one.
  9. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

The sequel was announced after its weekend debut of $46 million. It's an important brand for Sony, and sequel doesn't necessarily have to mean a continuation of this version of Ghostbusters.
  10. Wallachia Devoted Player

And why would they spend another 144 million dollars on something that didn't even pay itself off?
  11. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Not Ghostbusters related but remake / reboot related. The Hollywood Reporter scooped that Disney is developing a remake/sequel to THE ROCKETEER. Yes, I am not joking but after reading the premise and the title, it's seems like a better story than what the new Ghostbusters movie did to the original cast.

The title so far is THE ROCKETEERS. Here is a summary of the premise:
    "The new take sets the story six years after the events of the original movie. Secord has vanished while fighting the N×a×z×i×s, and an unlikely new hero emerges. A young African American female pilot who takes up the mantle and tries to stop Rocket Scientists who somehow stole the Jet pack technology in what could prove a turning point during the Cold War"
  12. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Because they can make a lot of money on the backend with merchandising, recognizable franchises and brands can be lucrative for years even without a marketing push from a movie. And they can always scale back the budget for next time and go in a different direction that's more cost effective.
  13. Wallachia Devoted Player

Not really. For a movie to be considered a success it must get at least 3 times more than it cost to be produced.

Your argument suggests that they should invest a lot of money to gain less than what they are using it, which would ultimately lead them to bankrupcy. It doesn't work like that. There no such thing as "being more cost effective" if there's no actual profit from it.
  14. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

That's true for most movies, but this is the franchise model of movie making... Like how George Lucas made most of his initial Star Wars money off of merchandising when he wisely sold the distribution rights of Star Wars to 20th Century Fox but held on to the licensing in his deal. He was ahead of his time as far as knowing where the money was.

Ghostbusters not making back it's budget is a setback to be sure but the gap isn't really that big when it done, and plus selling T-Shirts and mugs with Ghostbusters on it will probably have much larger profit margins.
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

Yes, he did that in 1979. We are in 2016. Different times, different people, different criteria, different mentality.

It doesn't work like that x 2.
  16. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

They've only gotten better at it... Heck, if that stinker of a movie like Fant4stic had decent merchandising sales it could probably get a sequel. But luckily Marvel had a "soft embargo" of products not under their Marvel Studios.

There are movies that exists as just that, and there are "tentpole movies" that are meant to hold up a multitude of different media. It's not a great start, but the movie has done well enough. If people are "inspired" to buy the classic Ghostbusters T-Shirt or bought the old blue-rays because they dislike the new movie, guess who still wins?

It's nowhere near ideal, but at least they know there's a "ferver" and "passion" for the Ghostbusters franchise.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And there's plenty out there for the nostalgia fans and fans of the new flick. Re-releases of the original films (on DVD, Blu-Ray AND 4K), figures from both films in various scales, LEGO Dimensions and regular LEGO sets (not sure about regular LEGO sets for the new film but I believe the new cast is coming to the Dimensions game), heck they've even re-released the Real Ghostbusters cartoon series on video.

Doesn't take much to find them, either. At least two of the bigger retail chains in the US have got some prominent displays for the video releases.
    • Like x 1