Ghostbusters 2016...well that happned...Spoilers

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TheArmorsmith, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Remander Steadfast Player

Well, slightly bigger second weekend drop than Ghostbusters 2. On target to be a money loser, given the $144 mil to make and $100 mil in marketing. Evidently, the toys are doing well, so there's that. Doesn't bode well for future installments.
    • Like x 1
  2. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Hate to disappoint you haters, but...

"After its opening weekend, Sony's president of worldwide distribution, Rory Bruer, told The Wrap that "while nothing has been officially announced, there's no doubt in my mind [a sequel] will happen." He also said that Ghostbusters is expected to become an important Sony franchise."

Sony also said they hoped it would gain around $30 million during it's opening weekend in the US, but after good reviews and marketing, they upped it to around $40 milion. It ended up with $47 million at opening weekend. Better than expected, in fact. And as for total income, it had a production budget of $144 million, and as of July 25th 2016, it has made $125 million so far. But there are still plenty of reports from other markets waiting (Russia, Japan etc), and then there are the DVD and BlueRays.

On top of that, this is the biggest opening for Paul Feigh and Melissa McCarthy ever. Hardly a flop, in other words. Sucks that you personally don't like it, but strangely, the world doesn't revolve around you. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(2016_film)#Sequel
  3. Remander Steadfast Player

Sorry, it dropped 54% in the second weekend. Yes, it's made $125 mil thus far, but you must account for the marketing, when looking at profitability. It's far off the mark at this pace. Sure, there will be DVD and Blu-ray, but to be considered successful, a film can't just break even. Doesn't matter what Bruer says now. They're still in "putting lipstick on a pig" mode. The final numbers will determine whether Sony will ultimately invest in additional Ghostbusters movies. Only time will tell. Glad some folks liked it. To each their own.
    • Like x 1
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

No movie is considered a success if it doesn't make at least 3 times more than it was spent just to produce it, so gaining 125 million after spending 144 million - not counting marketing costs - still doesn't make it a success.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

And as I said, a sequel is already confirmed. So there's that. :)
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Sony is so desperate to make a successful franchise they'll do anything. And what Bruer stated was Sony's attempt to save face. As someone stated earlier on the thread, the movie will have to make 400 to 500 million to be a success. And as it stands now it's at 125 million worldwide. Besides they did the same thing with their Amazing Spiderman franchise saying they're going ahead with their expanded universe starting with Sinister 6, the Amazing Spiderman 4, and the Venom solo movie; down the road later, poof, they quickly pulled the plug on that.
    • Like x 1
  7. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

You do realize both articles refer to Sony's original plan of expanding on the Andrew Garfield Spiderman franchise and how Sony is trying to push the idea again but ultimately with the deal with Marvel and the Spiderman reboot I don't see that happening anytime soon
  9. Wallachia Devoted Player

Paul Feig himself said that he wants the movie to make 400 millions to consider it a success and the idea of making a sequel was not officially announced, just Sony executive saying it will have a sequel, yet the statement was said before the release.

Its current grossing is considered 'mediocre', far from acceptable. Not saying it won't have a sequel (although it'd be idiotic to make a sequel for a movie with a mediocre performance), but the movie is far from being a success.
  10. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Yeeeeeeah so bit awkward, but it might be a good idea to check the dates of articles before posting them.... One is coming up on 5 months old and the other is a year old.

Sony the last few years has been pretty desperate to launch the "next big" franchise, so much so that even before their "big hitters" are released they start talking about sequels. If we were gullible enough to believe them then im pretty sure we're still getting a sequel to Fant Four Stic. God help us if that ever happens because im pretty sure thats one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Ghostbusters is doing poorly because nobody wanted it in the first place and it just reeks of forced. Women in leading roles is needed, and we're getting it with Wonder Woman the RIGHT way. But replacing a beloved film with an all-female cast just feels wrong to me. Women deserve their OWN roles and equal pay, undoubtedly, but casting them like this seems like a step backwards to me. It almost feels like theres no trust that they can "hold their own" so hollywoods plan is to leech off of a predominantly male franchise and just inject women to please the masses. This flopped as it rightly should have and so too will "The Female Oceans Eleven".
    • Like x 2
  11. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Well they have some things to hang their hats on, 73% fresh on RT, not only is their new merchandising for this Ghostbusters but it's also re-invigorated a need for merchandise of the older films that's a boatload of licensing from a "dead" franchise, and it's not playing in China which is the second largest market in the world. That could have easily done half as well as the U.S. Release or possibly even succeeding it.
    • Like x 1
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

My point, exactly. These women deserved their own original story. They deserved better.
    • Like x 1
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

We deserved better
    • Like x 1
  14. stärnbock Devoted Player

Not going to see it. Not buying it. Not even stream it.
  15. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

Well he said that months ago...so who knows what will happen....yeah i'm a hater because this movie gave me a real reason to hate on it. I hope they do it right if they make a sequel which months ago they did say they wanted to make this a franchise. I just hope they find a better writer and director that isn't trying to make a statement becasue that is what messed this movie up. And no its a flop becasue of its following weekend they just said that to give people a reason to come but it still fell short to Secret Life of Pets on its 2nd week up. That was its opening weekend so that was clearly not a good sign. But if you want to grasp for straws then by all means grasp away. To this point they need to make around $400 the move cost $144 like you said but you want to do what BvS did and make over $100 the first weekend even if it got hate....$47 is terrible give the hype of this movie. They'll be lucky to hit $250. Its a flop none the less....but good try though.
  16. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

But at the same time...how does that make this film a success? The studio wants a franchise they have things in places liek some sort of Ghostbuster land things like that of course they would make another movie....but none of that would help this movie now would it. As long as they don't Paul Feig they should be better off thats what hurt this film. I want them to use the same cast it might be a case where the 2nd movie was way better than the first.
  17. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Are you people serious, or just trolling? "I hate the movie with a passion... haven't actually seen it, but I know it sucks!" Those links are way too old! So? I could post plenty of others. "Those are refering to the Amazing Spider-man plans!" Um... that's because both the Sinister Six and Venom movie take place in the Amazing Spider-man universe... Yes, I know Spidey went to Marvel, but that doesn't change anything. There's still a Spidey in these movies, just... behind the camera, probably. Meaning we won't get to see him, as it's not his movies. But who knows, maybe we will. Maybe we'll even get Andrew Garfield returning as Amazing Spider-man for a cameo.

And seriously. I provided a link saying a sequel is already confirmed, and you still refuse to accept that this movie is successful? No, it won't make a trillion dollars like some movies, but there's a huge difference between being successful and being a flop. If it made enough money to justify a sequel, it's successful. It's not rocket science. Though in this case, they think the whole franchise is successful enough to justify more movies, video games, comic books and so on. It all adds up. Sometimes it's ok to take a hit once, if it pays off later. And besides, it's Ghostbusters. It's not like it's a brand new franchise. If you even mention the name Ghostbusters, people get fired up. Turning this into a big franchsie is a no-brainer.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Nooooot to mention both the Batman and Superman-franchies were dead for a long time, and both died twice. (Batman with Batman & Robin, then Dark Knight Rises, Superman with Superman IV, then Superman Returns.) And now look at them. It's pretty safe to say we'll get a Ghostbusters 3, 4 and 5, and possibly far more.
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

They were saying there will be a sequel even before it was released, so how it performed is irrelevant
    • Like x 1
  20. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

This guy gets it. Them talking about there maybe or may not being a sequel doesn't save this movie that flopped. And its not hating if people are stating facts. I stated how I liked the cast it was the directing and I can see them giving the same cast another shot just no Feig and none of the writers they have stated they wanted this movie to become a franchise way before this movie released. So no one should be shocked at a sequel and that doesn't help this current film one bit. They will take a ht for this movie just simple.