DPS Comparitive Overview

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by MadBux, May 4, 2016.

1. MadBux Level 30

Commonly, the answer to the age old question, "what is the best power?" is met with frustration by tenured players and responses similar to "choose what you like, they will just rebalance thing soon again anyway".

I appreciate the fact that daybreak has regular rebalancing efforts, but would anyone mind pointing me to a relatively recent post outlining the comparative differences between some of the top tier DPS roles as it stands in the present state of the game?

I want to build a baseline knowledge of where we stand today so I can build off that with every subsequent GU that roles out.

Here is what I've collected so far.

Top - Mental, Gadgets, Sorcery, Earth. Ice, Munitions
    Middle - Fire, Atomic, Celestial, Light, Quantum, Rage
    Low - Nature, Electricity

Again, we're talking DPS for the purposes of this thread, but I'm looking for a discussion similar to these (particularly the thorough tank post :) )

Tank comparison - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ank-vs-tank-comparing-the-tank-powers.259310/

Healer discussion - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/healing-powers.272806/

Thanks in advance!
  2. L T Devoted Player

I don't know of anything recent. I started a thread like that in the powers section but it was before re-balancing started. I tried to point out that there's more to a DPS power than just damage potential, but the focus of the thread wound up being pure damage. I considered making an Oracle's Guide, but trying to learn Celestial exhausted me, and I never got around to Rage or HL. Maybe I'll to that after I finish adding power costs to the tank thread.
    I guess you could look at the testing thread for each power, and look at the parses that were posted and the load-outs used. I know everyone cares about damage output first, but there are x-factors to each power that will affect that in a raid. How easy is it to be interrupted? Does it have a shield to mitigate risk when getting up close? How is the damage in your alternate stance? Does it have crowd control so you can solo with it?

I never thought it was fair to *just* look at the numbers, especially those taken in front of a sparring target that can't hit back. Don't get me wrong: that's a good starting point. It's just not the last word on how a power performs.
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm flattered!
    • Like x 3
  3. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Totally agree with the test dummies. Our test servers might as well not have any other place open because the only testing done is on the dummies in the watch tower.

Someone needs to make a funny video or picture of our testers. Not actual people, the dummies. These are dcuo testers, lol.
    • Like x 1
  4. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

BEST- Mental, gadgets, munitions
    Top middle- Atomic, Earth, Sorcery
    Middle- Celestial, light, Fire,
    Bottom middle - Quantum, Rage
    Low - Nature, Electicity
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkB Well-Known Player

This may change depending on each player.

BEST- Mental, munitions, Atomic, Earth, Sorcery
    Top middle- Fire, Celestial, gadgets
    Middle- light, Quantum
    Bottom middle - Rage
    Low - Nature, Electicity
    • Like x 1
  6. MadBux Level 30

Yet another stellar post by L T. Well done, my friend. I certainly understand the need for making the disclaimer about the potential damage output. Max output isn't always what makes a solid DPS in any MMO. I'm a seasoned MMO end game raider in various capacities, so I appreciate the comment. I was simply looking to develop a baseline knowledge of ANYTHING related to DPS that is reliable and you offered exactly that. There is a considerable amount to soak up in DCUO, especially when you get into the AMs for each role. Anything to help speed up the curve to consuming knowledgeable insights is all I was really looking for.

Thanks for the good read!
  7. The peoples Badguy Committed Player

The Bad One is a proud member of Team Gadgets and will never switch. Team Gadgets from day 3.
    • Like x 2
  8. xD25x Dedicated Player

Seriously atomic and the pet powers over gadgets? Dont run with any 2 emp gadget users i see
    • Like x 3
  9. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

I know Munitions will 1 shot just about all adds in the game right now except BBS, but I'm not sure how it is on bosses. Lots of people are putting it at the top so I trust those people.

Rage needs to be below all powers except for Nature and Electric. I'm not sure if Light is just as bad as Rage, but I think they are pretty close to low. I guess my input would be keep top the same,
    Middle- Fire, Atomic, Celestial, Quantum
    Low - Light, Rage
    Atomic Tank (non battle spec ;)) - Nature, Electric. I'm pretty sure an Atomic tank with min Dom mixed gear would do more damage at this point.
  10. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

1h make nature ok, haven't played electric in a while so idk
    • Like x 1
  11. DarkB Well-Known Player

Well, as I said ... everything depends on the player. We all agree that Fire is not TOP DMG but who knows use it can beat any of the powers described as TOP.

I saw beast atomics and very bad mentals. None knows such as devs programming powers therefore is subjective. I saw sorcery, fire, mental and Atomics breaking scoreboards.

Of course talking about testing new raids which is where is the capacity of each power because we know that work differently and some make DMG accumulated other OT and others start out with a very big DMG and then held. It is therefore not comparable to old content or alerts that everything dies very quickly.

But I have not the truth, just i say that beyond the general we can say the TOP powers; the player is the one who makes the difference. Electric & Nature are excluded from this observation.
    • Like x 1
  12. Delta796th Loyal Player

Those lists are funny
    • Like x 1
  13. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Day 3? Bandwagon jumper!
    • Like x 3
  14. Warlock Well-Known Player

More props from me on the tank comparison (I provided OP the link to it :))--you definitely put some time into that.

Regarding DPS, to your point, I would like to see more discussion on the utility capability of each. We all already know roughly where they rank in raw numbers. What I'm not as clear on is how each solos (can shield or heal or has storng CC) --- or any other strengths or weaknesses beyond just the pure DPS numbers. Sorry Celestial wore you out, when all you needed was 3 buffs and WOTPcCS for trash and RcW for single target :).

On point, I think Hard Light is one of the best utility powers because you only need 1-3 tray spots for combo starters. Beyond that you can add self shield, SC, Robot Sidekick, etc. It has the 3 second grace period to resume AM if interrupted.
  15. L T Devoted Player

Thank you very much. Labor of love.
    Ice has a shield that's part of its AM (bitter winds) and one that isn't but helps build chill effects (reflection). Plus Reflection is a very strong shield for a DPS because it doesn't depend only on stats. As an Ice Tank you can sit behind a shield and use Arctic Gust to do good damage if you're a little over-geared for your content.

Gadgets and Mental both have a usable-while-controlled pick-up/shield/agro-drop as part of their AM. They can also use Stealth as part of their AM, so they can hide extra powers like a super-charge in there. As a Controller, Gadgets has access to it's 1-2-3-4 AM damage because Battle Display isn't required for extra damage. Mental lacks that, but can use a load-out with Grandeur and Stealth to get extra damage out of its powers in Control stance.

Earth and Sorcery have a ton of freedom as to what they put in their power bar. But the pets are such safe damage that most Earth/Sorcery DPS just go with a fairly standard load-out. Earth's Totem has good, continuous, crowd control.

Fire has no shield, but Burning Determination is a pick-up and a small burst heal. Flame Cascade is excellent for Crowd Control, but only when your enemies are grouped. If you get paired with a Gadgets DPS who scatters enemies all over the place that makes things hard. As a Fire Tank it's hard to use any AM damage powers because using them keeps you out of block a long time, plus they're vulnerable to interrupt.

Quantum has the option of throwing in a Shield or Quantum Tunneling as a utility power when in DPS stance. As a Controller you can add Time Bomb to your load-out and have a few different ways to get AM damage (though you have to use only Time powers).

As Nature you have a Gazillion different options. It's one really cool thing about the power.

As Electric, as the power stands, you don't have room for anything in your load out. Not even a super-charge. Crowd control is weak, but Arc Lightning produces a decent heal, even in DPS stance.

LOL! Yeah I've given up on Celestial. I had Remander feeding me tips and still kept messing it up. I'm just too much of a spaz for that power. It's very flexible though-- it's like you get to have 12 powers in your tray instead of 6. I've seen Celestial Healers put up some really good damage.

O
    Yeah I had an absolute blast leveling with hard light on the test server. When I left it and came back to it after like 2 weeks I had a crazy hard time trying to get through the Science Spire at min CR-- mostly because I kept forgetting the rotation. When I was playing it all the time it came naturally, but when I stopped I found I had to get used to it all over again.

But if Celestial has 12 powers on the bar, Hard Light has 15. I didn't mess around with different load-outs too much, but I bet you could stick a shield in there somehow.

Back around GU47, I was running through Patrol Catastrophe to compare the powers for solo play, because before it was nerfed that instance was fairly hard. I think Science Spire at min CR or close to min CR is probably a good test of a power in solo content.
  16. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

I would beg to differ...Quantum is Upper Bottom Middle :D
    • Like x 3
  17. Warlock Well-Known Player

Thanks for the reply. Did you every get to try Munitions? I've been thinking of trying Gadgets or Munitions as an alt. I have a HL toon that's pretty fun--but since I already play Celestial as a main, I think 2 combo powers might be too much on my brain.
  18. L T Devoted Player

Only in front of the league hall Targets on the Test server.

Interestingly Mepps just posted a thread in the Developer Feedback section talking about a lot of the same things that have been brought up in this thread. Nice to know we're being heard.
  19. Wallachia Devoted Player

Why would you classify Hardlight above Rage, if you don't mind me asking?

I have always seen people putting Rage above HL.
  20. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I would state all powers have a chance to top the charts with the exception of Nature and Electric. Rage is not good any more IMO and is why I do not play my Rage vill any more. I thought it was fine and after I ran some content I wanted to delete my toon. I dislike the changes to rage and I may go munitions on that toon if I ever get to it.

Fire can do really good in damage, I have seen some really nice FIRE DPS, can play and keep up with most Ice and Gadget DPS.

Earth and Sorcery are just to strong ATM and I have a feel Pet damage will be adjusted downward very soon.

As for Gadgets and Mental, both are hitting harder than they should and it is a shame that they were allowed to hit live like they are and no adjustment has happened to those power and I play Gadgets.

As for Atomic, it is ok but it needs an interruption window.

Quantum damage is ok but not as good as it could be, the damage cap is hurting it.

Light, I do well with and I can see future mechanics making other powers play more in mid range and making Light a more viable DPS down the road, but for now it is not one of the best but it can compete in the right hands.