Adventures in the Comics Bargain Bin

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by BernUnit81, Aug 10, 2015.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So, I think I started a thread like this a little ways back but I am too lazy to go fishing for it. I was down at my local comic shop again, swimming through the $1 bins and found some interesting stuff, thought I would share with you all.

I cam across a lot of Image stuff [I really like their books, something about them just seems more enjoyable, relate-able and real than some of the stuff from other companies]. I was there on a back issue sale day [buy 2 get one free] I walked out with quite a haul for myself to read.

I ended up with a lot of Brigade issues [which I really should start reading]. I also got something Supreme, something called The Pact [it was alright, nothing overly interesting]

What I am interested in and am enjoying reading is something called Apocalypse Al. Got the first two issues. Story is of a female private detective specializing in end of the world stuff, her contact/partner is a zombie who was once a cop. She is supported by something called The Committee. She is decedent from a line of people who have done similar jobs. She of course is the only girl in the lineage of this. Good art, well written and I think work the read, hope to find more issues.

The other that caught my eye and seems to be a good story is something called Valen The Outcast. Seems to be kind of warrior type story set in times long ago. Swords, monsters, a bit of magic. Art seems good and story seems to decent too. Got myself the first 6 issues.

Another thing that caught my eye as I haven't seen his name on anything other than Batman lately is a book/series by Jim Lee called Divine Right. Haven't got too into yet but Jim Lee's name on it grabbed by interest. Seems to be a bit of magic and stuff set in the modern world of some guy, down on his luck who gets caught up in a magic mess.

Still grabbing any Cyber Force back issues I can find as I am really liking that stuff. Anyway, just wanted to share with you all.
  2. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

So, I decided to dig up this thread again as there have been many trips to the bargain bin made since i made this post [and one trip to a ComiCon where I grabbed A LOT of books]. One series I have found and gotten into reading is one called "Broken Trinity: Pandora's Box" from Top Cow. It's a 6 part series, of which I have the first 5 [might just order #6. I think this is part of a Top Cow series called "Broken Trinity" which I am getting into reading the first 2 issues.

I picked up a copy of "Gotham by Gaslight". For those who don't know, this is a one shot done where Batman/Bruce Wayne is set in a Gotham of the 1800's and chases down Jack the Ripper, awesome read.

Picked up some books in the series "100 Bullets" which I haven't read yet.

I also picked up TPB of Vertigo's "Hellblazer: Orginal Sins" of which John Constantine is the main character. So far so good, Constantine is a cool character I think I can get into more. I love the urban setting mixed with the magic and occult stuff.

Other books I grabbed in my travels are a bunch of independents. I will have to look and see what else is in the piles I am quickly acquiring. Let me know if there is anything I should be looking for.
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

LOL, funny you should mention this. So I was in NY, finished coming from a meeting and was on a lunch break before hopping on the train. I was walking by and what caught my eye was a street vendor with a huge sign "COMICS $1 & UP". I go up to the gentleman and ask what kind of comics he has. The guy says majority old but some new DC, Marvel, Image titles. Now the comics are legit, some reprints, and the condition of the comics weren't bad, they weren't mint but in good condition, nothing to brag about. I go through a batch and what I find is stuff I read back in the 90s and some awesome titles. Luckily the guy had all the 4 variant covers for the X-men 1991, I ended up bundling them up for $10 :D

X-men #1
    [IMG]

Uncanny X-men #142
    [IMG]

Classic X-men #1
    [IMG]

The Walking Dead #1
    [IMG]

Spawn #1
    [IMG]
  4. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Good finds!
    For a different type of Superhero comic experience try these:

Jame Robinson's Starman
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(comics)

Matt Wagner's Sandman Mystery Theater
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandman_Mystery_Theatre

You won't find many big epic battles in these, just solid writing. They've all been collected into TPB's into several volumes. I also like that both series can be read to a complete conclusion for their respective characters.

Not much of a Spoiler here:
    Both heroes have since passed their mantles to new characters.
  5. MichealOkane Committed Player

In my area of residence in my small town in Texas, there were two comic stores. One of them had a really nice guy named Doug who really liked the business. The other one is just a Hot Topic with comics and toys. Doug closed his down for an unknown reason, so I have to go to the other one which is extremely expensive (Five bucks for a New 52!? No thank you!) and the people who work there all all teens with acne and body odor. So me only 3 years older. I'm not mad at Doug, in fact I'm happy that he retired and is getting to relax. But I think all comic stores should be kind of like that, where the guy actually talks to customers and it's like a safe haven for comics. Oh, speaking of which, I bought this book a few days before it shut down.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Signed by Dean Cain and Adam West
  6. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

when i was a kid a neighbor had a garage sale and sold off his collection of silver age dc comics. was mostly justic league of america from around issue #50 to about 120, old showcases, worlds finest and brave and the bolds...for 10 cents a pop.

more recently i found a box of 3 for a dollar bagged comics and indulged myself to a few. ended up scoring a bunch of late 80's/early 90s kevin maguire and adam hughs issues of JLA but the one thing that stood out for me all by itself in its own bag was a trade of the original Mask mini series. The movie was fun. propelled jim carrey into super stardom, had for its time cutting edge fx but the original mini series was as far removed from the movie as you can get. done in black and white (and illustrated by doug mahnke to boot) the mini series was dark and very, very violent. things didnt work out quite as well for stanlet ipkiss in the original story as they did in the movie...