Dear Support Roles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dark Horus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. comrade sonya Committed Player

The OP asked you to contribute beyond the bare minimum. You can heal and dps, you can troll and dps, you can somewhat tank and dps, and you can dps and support your team, it's not about being carried it's about doing all you can to SUPPORT your group.

And you're wrong DPS can contribute to each role.
    With my annoit buff I can give the healers a resto buff making their heals stronger, I can strengthen the controller's shield, and improve the tank's shields/mitigation technique.
    I also improve everyone's precision helping with the collective burn.
    With benediction I can increase everyone's critical chance, making their damage greater and if there's a battle heal increasing the heals the group will receive.
    A sorcery dps using their pet AM can power other ally pets with offering
    In a duo a mental dps using their AM is constantly stunning adds preventing damage to themselves and group member.
    And there are countless more examples

The forums vastly underrate the support DPS can do based off outliers, and perpetuates nothing but this weird Anti-DPS agenda.
  2. megamanexe Committed Player

you didn't actually prove or provide any arguments/evidence to prove that trolling isn't easy..
    this is coming from someone who plays all roles, pays attention to their surroundings and teammates even in dps role, goes to pick up as many people as possible, again even in dps role and knows how to hold back on the power and/or pop sodas and such when/if a troll can't keep up for whatever reasons.

not sure why you feel the need to make this into a "i hate dpsers" thing because i am not making this to be a "i hate trollers" thing. i'm just saying some people are not aware of all their responsibilities and just spam weapon attacks or one or two moves they don't really need to be spamming. (e.g. heal spammers, tank pull spammers,PoT spammers, WM spammers, power recharge spammers, range tap spammers, attack power spammers (i.e. no thought of dmg rotations))

i play the new alert mostly because the raids don't drop any good gear now and in very few groups do i see a troll who throws the right debuffs, if any. if i'm lucky enough to get a troll who debuffs, then most of them will screw it up by throwing the healing debuff on james and jared instead of attack or defense, especially defense so we can finish them faster. then ofcourse there's the trolls who just spam weapon combos and don't bother to throw a recharge while the tank and/or healer are struggling for power and the troll's bar is full. smh it's really dumb. i'd show em how it's done but i get bored trolling.

just cause you had one or two bad experiences doesn't mean that my opinion isn't valid or that you need to get all upset at the thought that someone legitimately screwed up at their role in a group run. it's just a game after all. chill
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Battle supports are actually something I haven't seen in a while and today I began seeing shouts on LFG for battle support roles. Its rare because like many have stated it depends on the player, experience, and SP. Compared to alot of the community that focuses on one role with low sp but I have come across some battle support novices. One battle healer in particular (won't name him) I was trolling and he specifically told me via mic, "Troll, stick by my side and keep up, because I'm going to spam my powers bruh" I couldn't facepalm fast enough and we started the raid, and yes, his power was going down fast, he actually put me to work because he was the only one that was spamming like crazy. Eventually I get KOed by the boss and wouldn't you know it, no one picks me up and the battle healer was right next to me. All I keep hearing is the doofus yelling on his mic, TROLL! POWER!, TROLL! WHERE MY POWER?!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  4. VariableFire Loyal Player

Is it me or are DPS getting pushier these days? Trying to run AoD and RttN via OnDuty queue for marks while overgeared almost inevitably results in a low CR DPS whining "hey man, switch to DPS!" Do they mean swap, heck no, they just want another DPS to do most of the heavy lifting for them.
    • Like x 3
  5. Multiverse Creator League

It is not just DPS sadly.

Was in a Duo as a Troll with a Tank.... and as I start fighting the EVIL Black Lantern...... I notice the Tank remained behind.

Then I see in the Chat Box..... "Switch to DPS".

And before I could finish of the Black lantern off and reply to him..... he was already gone.

Which is for the best.

He was replaced with a Healer and we did the mission fine.

The irony is how he expected me to switch to DPS..... but he remained as a Tank???:confused:
    • Like x 2
  6. Surkilo Well-Known Player

You can do damage as a support role but however in my opinion I say support role should not use damage power in their loadout since it would not support their role properly.On the other hand I would say its ok to use weapon or weapon mastery to do damage as a support role and it help to get some power back as well.
  7. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

It depends on the situation as well. When I heal there are times especially in lower Raids like in FoS3 I would concentrate on healing if I'm which usually i am the only healer. I would stay on the outside of the action and pick up people if need be. And when the Gold Golems pop up I will try to lead them away to keep people from being 1hit, while keeping up with my heals.
  8. Derio 15000 Post Club

Well if the support role only had 44 SP, they couldnt get WM. I dont know why everyone walks around expecting everyone to have 50+ skill points at T7. Stop dreaming.
    • Like x 2
  9. Exo Bang Babies Active Player

Yep, that's basically what I do when in a support role and assuming that's what everyone else does as well.

The only time I have played a healer and did nothing but stand there and heal is when the DPS is extremely OP.
    If I'm on my sorcerer, I just let the watcher do all the work.
    This is very rare though and everyone was cool with it.
  10. IceRaider Dedicated Player

His request of you switching to dps from troll while he remains tank is just dumb lol.... No tank power with maybe fire as an exception has access to a power back mechanic. And with that said all tank powers are aggressively power hungry especially ice and earth. I pop reflection and it damn near eats half my power bar so he'd hold aggro for about 48 seconds not factoring in supply drop, colas and sidekicks which all have obscenely long cool downs lol. The better option is tanks switching to dps and trolls stay troll stuns, pot n recharge are better than aggro for 48 seconds if he was knowledgeable on power conservation.
    • Like x 1
  11. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

What exactly do you mean by "not trying to do damage"? Are they are not using weapon combos at all? Or do you expect them to have damage specific powers on their loadouts while playing support roles?
  12. inferno Loyal Player

When I'm in my support roles, I primarily focus on the role, whether tanking, healing or trolling. The weapon attacks and the weapon I equip is not focused on doing as much damage but getting my hit counter as high as I can to further increase my power regen. In fact, I use WM clipped with a power to save power usage and when my power gets below 50% I switch to getting my hit counter up.
    • Like x 1
  13. Kharhaz Committed Player

Its not anti DPS, its just that the DPS role tends to require more maintenanence, they are always out of power, their health drops quicker than a ****** knickers, and they they want the tank to get aggro to take the hassle.

And to top it all off, they now want the support roles to the one single job they have.

Sorry, this argument for the DPS fails, dont like it? go support and do what you are asking others to do.
    • Like x 4
  14. AberrantAngel Committed Player

To OP. If you are being healed and have the power to do what you need then those support roles are doing their job. That is all that matters. Just cause it may take longer then you expected to be in the instance. Who's fault is that. No one's. Maybe yours because you have an expectation before you actually run a few minutes to sew how this run will go.
    • Like x 2
  15. Red Templar Dedicated Player

While they shouldn't focus on damage I don't know why you wouldn't use a WM combo or two between every power use, to cut your power cost, and help your self power regen.

Unless they don't know about that........
    • Like x 1
  16. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

In some instances I'll only be healing not do damage if:
    • I feel that I might be countered a at critical moment when I need to heal
    • I'm in an instance where the boss is going to reflect my damage back, but I know I'm going to be too focused on health bars to notice.
    • I'm kinda PO'd for some reason. Like if I'm asked to heal without a tank but two dps together aren't pulling the same damage I could pull off by myself. I've had one case of this where one is a tank power, and won't even switch to tank between bosses so I can switch to dps. And, another case where a dps and I could've swapped roles. Or, with trolls that refuse to troll, even if it's just to throw a debuff at a boss that needs it ... negating any possible extra burn they were adding (and it was almost always very little).
    • I'm really just phoning it in. Like if I'm on a phone call or something while I'm playing.
  17. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

While I agree with you 100 percent not because of the damage the support roles do but because it helps get their power back. It is quite discouraging as a support role to look at the total damage output and realize you didn't even crack a dent in the over all damage for the instance. Hopefully, with the changes the developers are making the support roles can complete bosses if a dps dies instead of having to intentionally die to redo the encounter.

Until support roles do more damage there really isn't a huge motivation for them to do as much damage. Again, they should be attacking whatever to increase their power so they can heal or stun or give pot or whatever. But the damage increase for support roles should be equal to a really really bad dps or to the point they do at least 60 percent of what a dps can do versus 10 percent or less as is now.

But to turn the tables on the dps.....please block, when you are being directly hit. If you die and you are not blocking you are a major problem. If you die faster than you can react then again its all on you because you cannot expect a healer or a troll or a tank to be able to react faster than you can. (My biggest pet peeve is that the unskilled dps can't find their block button, not including the skilled ones).
    • Like x 1
  18. comrade sonya Committed Player

You're making blanket statements with 0 stats to back up your claims, and I could do the exact same. The healer role tends to require more maintenance, they are always out of power, their health drops quicker than a ****** knickers, and they they want the tank to get aggro to take the hassle.

Silly right? Your issue is not with the role but the actual players who act that way, it's not something inherent to dpsing.

I strongly disagree with your point about dps wanting support roles to take their role. The game since launch has continued to grow towards a goal of improving support role's dps capabilities. Removing dps penalty in support roles, hometurf mods, celestial's ability to turn dps into heals, and now letting support roles retain AM damage in support role. Seems like the notion of support roles sitting in the background doing nothing but bar healing is becoming a stagnant playstyle.

I wouldn't make this expectation if I didn't do it myself. If you don't like doing more for the group that's fine, but don't make up nonsensical excuses like it's not encouraged by the developers themselves.
  19. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

Was just standing around when we didn't need a heal
  20. Dark Horus Dedicated Player