Mepps, where is the said elusive balance between powers?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dipin Gujral, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

Yesterday, in raids and on the parser, my 123 CR Ice was outperforming my 126 CR Elite Gear Quantum, so, even with the fixes and all, I don't feel they are balanced.
  2. Dipin Gujral Committed Player

I would disagree. DPS was skill dependent with the initial combat system. I really took a lot of time to understand and perfect rotations, then. Clipping resulted in faster combat and the faster you could complete the rotation, the better numbers you would see flying.

I found hitting the WM window much easier than clipping the heck out of powers.

I play earth and i don't think it's a power worth DPSing with anymore and perhaps can say the same for sorcery since both were reliant on scissor kick input to be competitive which was recently nerfed.
    • Like x 1
  3. Malachyte Devoted Player

If they really wanted to "Balance" all the powers for DPS role its very very simple...
    Get rid of AM
    Get rid of WM
    Get rid of Might & Precision base
    Get rid of all the various 35%-60% modifiers and make all the powers in the various trees inflict the same amount of damage, perhaps just keep the SC to do a higher damage out.

There you go....balance is achieved, no FOTM OP power sets, no template combos and this allows players to actually create unique power rotations.
    • Like x 2
  4. Broken Soui Dedicated Player

Gear doesn't mean much when it comes to skill. That just speaks volumes about you as a ice dps, and them as a quantum.
    I can't speak for earth. So I really can't comment on that. Sorcery is balanced though. I use 2h, not hb sk. I do feel they got the shaft slightly though. Sorcery has the best or second best supercharge in game. With that said. Your mods might play a big part in your damage. Earth doesn't get as many might hits. It might be good to go all precision for your crystal load out
  5. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

Yawwwwwwn . Sooo many threads about the same stuff omggg Everything's always about dps lol wait your turn or be fotm. And skill is always involved btw
  6. Streven Dedicated Player

So far I've seen mostly ranting and conjecture. Let's see some parser data if you're going to complain about balance. Let's talk about the situational differences between powers. How about, let's be objective instead of just whiny, entitled, and complaining. Ranting with no facts is nothing more than a temper tantrum. I have a 4 year old for that.

I don't believe in perfect balance between powers, that's just silly. However, it should be feasible to expect all powers to be relatively in the same range, maybe 10% difference from top to bottom. As far as I know we're almost there. DOT powers need some love. I know that from first hand experience. My latest single target parses put the DOT powers roughly even with each other and only doing about 60% the dps of top tier powers. I hear HL and Rage need love and I believe it. Beyond that what's so out of balance?
    • Like x 6
  7. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

Earth and sorcery are both competitive with the right weapon. I don't mean glitched hb sk damage. Its more about the timing of the weapon with your loadout. Its hard to get it figured out but from what I've seen you need to alter your loadout with different weapons but it allows for alot of flexibility in loadouts
    • Like x 1
  8. The Anxient Loyal Player

Yet some people manage to mess it up.
  9. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Balance is closer than it ever has been. Interestingly, the closer it gets, the more the outliers and minor differences stand out, and the more discussion we get here. The parser is an incredible tool for crowdsourcing this information, and I encourage everyone to use it. Posts without parses to back up opinions/feelings at this point are are not very useful.
    • Like x 17
  10. Antwoman Dedicated Player

But those are the best kinds it make things so much muddier that only nonsense coming from people who have no idea what they are saying sound like sense to some...kinda like what I just said.
  11. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Stole my line... I actually said this exact same thing in a thread quite a while ago. Someone replied"What about WM?" I figured I'd reply this to you, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondering if wm will get adjusted for different rotations and playstyles.
  12. Longshot Well-Known Player

I have been curious since the combat parser has been available to us, are you guys on your end not able to pull data and see what the damage looks like for different powers yourself? Are you not able to pull data and see what the average combat parser shows for a certain power at a certain CR?

Are you saying the only way for you to know what the combat parser is showing us, is by us giving you the information?
    • Like x 2
  13. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Of course not. But if you are here relaying concerns, you have an incredible and easily utilized tool to do that. If you choose not to, it speaks to the validity of the concern at the outset, or at least at what it is founded on.

There are many ways to play each powerset, and it's always possible we have overlooked something or a change has had an unintended side effect. That's where your information can be invaluable for us.
    • Like x 11
  15. xpoipoix Well-Known Player

Celestial and rage cant even come close to ice and gedget dmg
    • Like x 3
  16. Glacier Extreme Well-Known Player

In my own opinion DCUO shouldn't be relying on the public to test "Said" powers. You have folks testing powers with limited understanding of it, or never have been "said" power/powers giving his/her biased opinion or comprehension on "said" power/powers.

Sure if I've never played with power "A" , play with it for 2 days then jump on the "test" section on the forum... (where most of us can't post or comment in/on) how accurate or realistic should my testing be? Or accountable?

We have a handful of people testing these powers who get their opinions heard/read, and the ball moves forward.

Case and point..since ice's am it's been heavily publicated that avalanche needed buffed, arctic gust needed it's cone widened, and a block cancel needed to be FIXED *which still doesn't work correctly* months go by and nothing..a specific person requests these changes..*POOF* change happens! Call it what you want...
  17. HazelWarriorPrincess New Player

The mass public is the best testing for the system. In the end it's our experience with the game that counts. The development shouldn't test thier own work as they know things that influence how and what they test. Same reason you shouldn't proof read your own writing. Better that you hand that over to multiple people who see things differently than you do. That's what the test server is for. Would probably yield better results if there was a test server for PS though.
    • Like x 2
  18. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

All the HL threads had plenty of data for the Deva...nothing but crickets!

Sorry, I do not think the balance issue is as close as the Devs would think it is...

If it truly was, you'd see more than 3 powers in end game and sadly you still do and it's not because of balance!

IA ARMY
    • Like x 2
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Show me the numbers.
    • Like x 3
  20. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

Mepps,

I got an idea (and I come in peace). It'll be nice if you guys will set a baseline for us to make comparisons.

For example, if you developers set up a power to do a specific damage per second with a certain target at a certain CR, we could try to go against those numbers. That will help for those that meets the criteria to stop complaining because it's working as intended, those that are under-performing do their personal adjustments learning what they missed from the power, and those that are over-performing report what they are doing to test for irregularities.

I mean, if a DPS using the 3 Dummies at the League Hall with CR 124 and 160 SPs is doing a steady 18k-19k per second measuring every 30 seconds with the combat parser (just an example), the DPS won't know if he is OP or if he is under-performing until he got into an instance, check the forums or compare versus another player. He can go into an instance and claim wrongly some results based on some certain specific circumstances (normal complain that a specific power is OP because is steadily at the top of the scoreboard) and maybe the problem is not the power but the adds/bosses of that specific instance.

Setting some public information such as based damage per second with some specific CR/SPs and tested target will aid us complain less and be more constructive.

What do you think?

Respectfully.
    • Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.