Any Idea's On Testing Future DLC's And/Or Updates?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheArmorsmith, Jun 25, 2015.

1. TheArmorsmith Dedicated Player

We all had problems before with content in the game not properly tested look at some of GU47 as an example and all the cluster **bleep** its causing now and GU36 I heard before and update 3 too. What can or should be done to improve testing? Should it be thoughtout more carfully? Should some of the players who play the game be call upon to break the updates like they should be doing in the first place? Or just keep things as is? Any other thoughts on this subject can be and will be appreciated.
  2. Antwoman Dedicated Player

They should I think hire players who sole job is to break the update, too many testers test things that fit them, and thats fine and all. But there are so many misses in game. But also I want to add I don't know what and how the Dev's test things before they put it on test severs. I'm just purley basing what I'm saying as if they let us do the sole amount of testing. But if the run or can run I should say my way I would hire 3 new players 3 veteran players tell them all the bugs they know about and tell them the find everything they can if its a huge update then get more players veterans that knows the in and outs of the game, use the new players ot see how most new players would feel or fit in said content. Players who don't care for DPS or scoreboards too.
  3. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Its not that the game updates/content is not properly tested. Its the time restraints the devs have. They will always push it out no matter if its ready or not, because of schedule deadlines. A green name mention this once, issues with the game update/content will be addressed with hot fixes.
  4. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Nothing can be done about testing on the PS platforms.
    As for PC testing, the issue is that you need to be subscribed to have access to the test client. Remove that limitation and test would receive much more feedback, but also hurt DGCs wallet for at least 3 reasons.

1) Test server upkeep costs increasing as population also increases
    2) You can play everything in the test environment for free and power level in a few minutes. This creates risk in players then proceeding to play it a la grind in the actual game if they could simply hop on test and 'have it all', so to speak.
    3) One less reason to say subscribed to PC DCUO, for the few that keep subs for test access.

The only other solution would be organizing work order checklists where key components of the game were tested every single release by tester groups in checklist fashion. For example, we've seen tank aggro draw fail on partiular powers that weren't noticed during the test phase. Add testing every single tank power for taunt effects to a checklist for every release. It's arduous, and I don't think too many people would be interested in returning to repeat test every single release.

I think we're stuck with the model we have. Testers will find what they can so long as they hold interest in testing at all. Everything else falls on the active player base after an update to observe and report.
  5. Antwoman Dedicated Player

That's true I do forget sometimes about the deadlines.
  6. BumblingB I got better.

You know, there is a level of expectancy that the players think the testers should have. It's funny.

BTW, there are some bugs that can only be found on the live server.
    • Like x 1
  7. Antwoman Dedicated Player

I think the OP is meaning that a team of tester go in a test the game while keeping the current one. In other words have a group that will actually do the job of testing in live situation more often than not the players on here don't do that and frankly isn't their job to do so really, so why not hire people who play the game to test it propertly I see no issue with what he is suggesting.
  8. BumblingB I got better.

There is a paid team for that. It's the QA team.
  9. Antwoman Dedicated Player

true but there is also in some places called a beta team its a team of players familia with the game and that play it. They are paid to test the game...They are sometimes testing it before its put on test servers. They are also asked to gauge the community reactions and thoughts of those not in the forums or in the forums. Its like the QA team is the police the the beta testers (I'm calling them) are swat teams.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

QA Team for testing content before and during test launch builds.
    Community Council for community relations/reactions.
    PC testers for final stages of testing.

After all the lay offs, hiring more people is probably far away from their thoughts right now.
  11. Antwoman Dedicated Player

Yes which is why I and the OP said if possible and also the beta team isn't paid like a normal staff member its usually ask for volunteers or pay them cheaply. You be surprise how many volunteer for free. So the hire issue really isin't an issue to be honest if the game has reputation behind it that is.
  12. Delta795 New Player

Allow PS subcribers to log into PC test server
    • Like x 2
  13. Zhouz Well-Known Player

Wait are you saying players should volunteer to test the updates before they come out? Cause that's what already exists with the test server...
  14. Antwoman Dedicated Player

Lol true but not in the same sense...Its like this some companies hire people to test things in games to see an reaction from a player stand point its like hiring an actor as an extra really. Say for example 6 months ago they made a new power water the would spend 3 months making the power then hire actually players to test the power make the sign agreements not to share or leak info or will be sued something like that. for 1 month they test the bother trying to break it and give a report to the QA teams who then fix things in a month span in time for server testing. -note- they sometimes use those players in the test servers to see how the players are using the said powers or adjustments and report their findings as well.
  15. Streven Dedicated Player

Yeah, if they wait til everything is perfect we'd never get any updates. Current system is better. New stuff with a few issues is better than nothing at all.
  16. Streven Dedicated Player

I'm hoping there will be enough people to test the older instances when they release balance passes on them. The test server population is low though and most people will only group to run latest content and SM to be the first to beat it when it comes out on live servers. Even with a small team of dedicated testers you will miss stuff. The types of people who look for and find exploits aren't the type to post feedback on said exploits other than to brag.