Dcuo vs WoW

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Swaggernaut, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Rachel Ray's
  2. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Im Premium (Ive spent a total of $10 on DCUO), and I enjoy the product.

About the only thing you can do in WoW is twink. Level 20 is like Level 1 in DCUO. There are 100 potential levels and numerous gear levels.

For this to be an equal measurement, WoW would have to allow you to level to 100 and limit gear to regular dungeons and Aspirant PvP gear.

That being said, there is no even steven gear PvP in Wow, so even though you are only limited to Robin, you can get into an environment where you have a shot. Nothing like that in WoW.
  3. dngnb8 Devoted Player

UO or EQ were before WoW. I would assign UO this definition. WoW was the UO/EQ killier
  4. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Understood. Since I currently play both, I expanded on the info.

I agree with this, however, DCUO provides an environment that is better suited to someone who cannot afford the monthly fee. There is far more game play available in DCUO FTP then WoW FTP
  5. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Youre surprised?

Target doesnt advertise Wal Mart sales, why should DCUO allow ESO marketing?
  6. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Well technically gear doesn't matter as much in the larger scale pvp maps... Just look at all the people hiding in the caves of AV.;)

The play mechanics for dcuo are what sets it apart from every other mmo, however WoW has a far more immersive world(s) to explore once you get into the lore for the world and the character race/factions. It can take you up to 10+mins just to travel from area to another, this might not sound like fun but when you consider random pvp encounters and the aspect of traveling into "enemy or contested territory", it can be quite thrilling. There are a lot of things in WoW that may seem like drawbacks that end up working in its favor.
    • Like x 1
  7. RachaelRay New Player

Yea, actually.

There have been threads about multiple other games here, mmo or otherwise. Must see it as a bigger threat. :shrug:
  8. kravonik New Player

EQ was the EQ killer. however both those games are still played today.
  9. Aren Sul Committed Player

I play both. I've played WoW since release and that tends to be my main game - it's where most of my online friends are. I tried to get them here, because I like this game much better, but that didn't work out for the reason I prefer this one: you are more engaged in combat regardless of role.

IMO some plusses for WoW:
    • Wow has the advantage of player numbers and
    • 10+ years of fine tuning (yet surprisingly still far away from where you'd think they'd be by now with player satisfaction - I could go into detail, but we'd run into a real tldr)
    • If you're not into heavy mouse click/controller type play then WoW may suit your playstyle, (+macros, add-ons, etc for customizing that play style)
    • More to explore in terms of terrain, zones, etc (although the most recent expansion's lack of flying is stifling).
    • Better built-in guides to getting started and leveling.
    • Better suited for playing on a PC - mouse over objects and abilities/toolbars, click to interact, move windows, etc.
    IMO someplusses for DCUO
    • As mentioned combat style
    • Even though the community has issues, I prefer the four role style as well
    • Customizing the look of your character's gear (seriously DCUO trumps heavliy here) making every player look more unique.
    • Staff involvement - another hands down advantage. I feel more connected and engaged with the team here in DCUO - never liked Ghostcrawler in WoW, but at least you heard from him once every few months. Here, just tune in every Friday night to FNL! Not to mention other live broadcasts of new features.
    • Storylines - the focus shifts, and I'm starting to get tired of playing World of Thrall-craft
    • Umm, the DC universe - we're talking cultural icons here.
    And I can't quite say how - but I honestly feel like this game is more creative in design and willing to take more risks. I feel like it's the classic lumbering elephant versus the agile fox - okay so that's not a classic comparison - but you know what I mean ;)

For me, I prefer DCUO easily.
  10. dngnb8 Devoted Player

This is very well done

While I prefer WoW to DCUO, I think the comparisons are pretty spot on.
  11. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wasn't saying that WoW came first, said that WoW was the "My First MMO", you know, like the baby versions of things to get little children into something, like "My First Lawnmower" or "My First Chainsaw", products made of cheap flashy brightly coloured plastics
  12. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Yet, products that have long term memory. Fun is fun whether flashy bright plastic or dark brutal graphics.
  13. Swaggernaut Active Player

Yeah I know I know I'm just curious about WoW. I really enjoy dcuo and obviously WoW is considered the best mmo so I was wondering if it's enjoyable but for no money. Freemium is the death of games and I'll spend a bit but can wow be fun without going my broke?
  14. dngnb8 Devoted Player

I pay 6 months at a time. That comes out to 12 a month. Every other year is a new release, $60. I also own a house, car etc. I have a career. I can afford it. For me, when I was single, I drank that much after work.

WoW costs money. FTP WoW gets you very little if you ask me. If FTP or premium is your budget, DCUO is far better. Youre in the right place
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

The only way to find out if you are going to enjoy it, is by playing it
    Personally tried it a couple years ago (before DCUO but after WAR), it was fun but not enjoyable (found the cartoony-ness of it to be too much)
  16. KidMidnight Loyal Player

i spit on wow.

>patooie<
  17. Galil ACE Well-Known Player

WoW is a better game but the gameplay is so dull, basically its extremely polished due to its huge userbase, not to mention that classes keep changing and become more and more complex scratch that, they just change and the good thing is that while every expansion you get cooler new powers in your excising class, that also means that bad changes come along with it.
    If only this game had even one fourth of WoW's current playerbase it would be better funded.
    • Like x 1
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Not if they are all Freebies
  19. dngnb8 Devoted Player

The did a skill/stat/spec squish in MoP.

In terms of what you can do, I have essentially 8 things I can do in DCUO in a fight

In wow, it is around 32.

Some people argue that 32 is too many and dont use em all. Other say that the 8 is not enough. I play all classes in WoW. I have level 100 toon in every class, and I use far more then just 8 skills. On my rogue, I use about 30 in 1 battle.

Premed, Slice and Dice Stealth, Ambush, Death From Above, Back Stab, Shadow Dance, Cheap Shot, Ambush,

That is just an opener.....

When I play both games, I feel limited by DCUO. Not only is keyboard moving cumbersome, but 8 things just seems so limiting. Simpler may be much better for some, and that personal perception is not really up for discussion IMO. It just is personal preference really. Maybe because I have so much I can use in WoW, it sets an expectation for other games? What ever the reason, I feel the combat limitations in DCUO create an elementary combat system. Is it fun, hell yeah, but JMHO, WoW is more fun. Its like being in a baseball game and the rules only allow Fastball and Change up, but in another league, they say you can throw what you wish. Both can be fun.

WoW is not just cartoony, but it is incredibly cartoony! It reminds me of the old He Man cartoon back int he day.

That being said, DCUO is as well IMO. Just a different cartoon style of cartoon. I just feel like I am in a DC style cartoon.

For more realistic graphics I think you have to look at GW2, LOTRO, DDO.
    • Like x 1
  20. Aren Sul Committed Player

Yep, that's another one of the things that my friends had a hard time adapting to - the limited power selection in the load out tray. I always attributed that up to the game being designed for a console instead of a pc. And I also agree it's a personal style of play, on the one hand there's a bigger variety to choose from an use; on the other, you have to really plan your choices from the full set. (And I like your baseball analogy)

Having said that, there was a point where WoW's skill trees and spells were too sprawling and most players were relying on the same 8-9 abilities in a rotation. I give a lot of credit to any game that can hit the happy spot where you can have a decent set of abilities to choose from for varied play style and yet any combination of them can be equally effective.

P.S. Just a side note: at one time or other I did level every class to whatever the cap was for that expansion, but didn't keep my priest, nor the DK and now my monk is kind of fading although I brought him up to 100 - other than that, all the rest are 100 and I like them all. I have one of every power in this game - makes me an alt-a-holic ;)