I have been very curious about how serums will function aesthetically.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Burning_Baron, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

When the new powers were announced, I was immediately intrigued. AMs withstanding, Munitions and Atomic are pretty straight forward from a visual stand point. However, Experimental Serums is a wild card. It is their way of adding visual flair to a super strength power set but I am curious as to how.

Will there be various gases to represent different things, will be grow like bane, or maybe there will be an aura system like Sorcery that represent what effect the serum you took has on you.

I am also very curious about ranged attacks. Does the fact that it is called experimental serums mean that whatever serum was given to you can be a excuse for why you suddenly have laser vision or atomic breath? We will have pic up and throw moves or will it simply have clones of moves like shards?

For example Shock wave seems like a prime candidate for a long range super strength power set move. All they have to do is remove the and use the TK push graphic with a different color?

Could we possible see us pull random things from thin air like long pipes and girders to toss or slam into enemies? picture Atrocitous's rage flail but instead of a flail we swing a long steel beam and slam it down into enemies for AOE mid range damage and then we could combo into multiple slams like we are BAM BAM lol.

What are some of you all's opinions on this? Devs what tidbits on visuals can you reveal at this point?
    • Like x 1
  2. x xBane New Player

I think that the power should have a bunch of brutal attacks such as injecting serums to grow big and chuck boulders and if you have the tank role the size increase should give a big buff to toughness/defense and heal you a little. I'm really excited for this power since I have had my Bane toon since 2012.
  3. ZeusShock Well-Known Player

I was thinking that this powers is all about buffs and buffing yourself. Injecting some type of serum inside of you. With a little bit of spice.) But Soon we will find out.;)
  4. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

First off, there's more than likely not going to be any animations where you 'inject' yourself with anything. That's a problem area for any game, especially DCUO which attracts a younger audience (F2P access). Second, in order to utilize memory saving designs, it'll probably recycle several animations use in weapon buff utility powers, ie: Neo Venom Boost, Weapon of Destiny, etc, and possible Smoke Bomb/Armory Change's smoke burst animation. It may also end up using the 'power up' anim used by various activated trinkets. That all sounds good to me, so long as the delays for these anims don't leave you crazy vulnerable.
    • Like x 2
  5. Jafin 10000 Post Club

The visuals are something that intrigue me too. If I remember correctly the main reason the devs gave a few years ago for not making a physical power set was because it wouldn't be visually interesting, so either they're going back on that reasoning or they have ideas to make it visually interesting. I'm also interested in what the tank mechanic will be. Each tank power we have now has a unique way of tanking in terms of how they handle incoming damage, so it'll be cool to see what they come up with for this one.
  6. bindi Well-Known Player

i hope you're right, i have a character that i'm waiting to try serums with because a super strength set would be perfect.. but i'd rather she wasn't constantly injecting herself with needles, lol..

i'm sure it would suit some characters, especially super-soldier types and (obviously) bane inspired characters, but a super strength set without needle injections would definitely fit waaay more characters.
  7. Ramonater New Player

i dont think they will have animations of needle injections lol just because what that may promote plus thus never have Bane inject any needles so i think they will go the same route. I am thinking its going to be a ripoff of Bane idea with the serum tank on the back or something like that. But that's all just a guess
  8. neidler New Player

I think the main animation will be size increase since they already gave us a bit of a preview in halls of power when you pick up the weapons.
    Something i noticed in this game is that the powersets are normaly represented in some form or another before its released.
    Hl obviously had all the lanterns running around, electricity had that floorpad in oolong, celest had doctor fate.
    Thinking about it now, munitions will probably borrow moves from lex and avatar of tech and atomic i think will use some animations from the brother eye duo. Just my 2 cents.
    But as far as serums I gotta agree with the no injections thing,probably not gonna happen.

As far as animations for serums go, not sure. It would be easier to speculate if we knew the power tree names.
    Since its a tank power based on experimental serums its tough to guess.
    They could do something weird and have a sorta celest/rage hybrid where the trees would be something like venom and antidote.
    In this hypothetical scenario the venom tree would provide buffs while having adverse affects if overused sorta like rage crashing. The anti veno....er antidote tree would be based around self heals and immunity but kind of mirror the venom tree, thats where the celest/rage hybrid comes in you combo you venom tree move to its appropriate antidote tree move to prevent adverse side effects.

I doubt that happens though, seems a little to risky esp for a tank trying to do power combos.

Back to animations. If we look at other powers and look at common factors that could help. So we know itll have its 4 super charges one of which will probably be BIG mode cause they probably dont want huge characters all the time cause of door blockers and what not.
    Wishful thinking, just gonna throw this out there and say one of the moves might be doomsday inspired just because the precedence was set by the scientist in the smallville alert. In fact in my mind,now that I think about it thats very possible and if it isnt one of the planned moves, should be, imo.
    So that being said they might have two size altering sc a bane and a dd one. One would be more offensive and the other defensive I would think.
    Also I dont think the serums will have a sheild ala fire, so expect alot of serum users w the hl sheild in the load out. I see a healing sc along the lines of rampage/regeneration as well as self healing moves simalur to metabolism in terms of effect and animation.
    It will more than likely have ww rock throw, but what about pulls?

See this is where i think dc might try to suprise people, for a long time people have been asking for plastic man powers and the devs said do to technical limitations it would be impossible, but would it be possible to have an arm reach out and grab someone?
    Though thats a bit of a stretch........:)cool:,yea I did it.)

Anyway,I def see alot of fist pump and trinket usage animations going on in this power since the devs use those alot.
    I also see it using the size increase as the thing that sets it apart from other power.

The thing is though if you look at comics,man, "experimental sermus" have been used for alot of stuff from particul acceleration to regeneration. So while its fun to guess I really have no clue how the devs will tackle this one.Part of me feels like there will be a move where you throw a chemical barrel. But once again idk, I cant wait to see others thoughts. I like this thread.
  9. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

It's probably going to be like Bane and the adds in Gotham I do think it's going to play alot like rage with a system that has the whole crash feature.
  10. Ghostof91 New Player

Interesting, I think it will be a very close up combat centered around grappling, also there will be mixing chemicals that gives different results like size growth as well as inflation. I can also see venom aoe spill that damages nearby targets, as for pulls there might be arm stretching aviable.at works.
  11. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I Thought this thread was dead when I saw it fade into oblivion with no replies. Glad to see there is some interest.

I Thought this thread was dead when I saw it fade into oblivion with no replies. Glad to see there is some interest.
    I think You are on the right track with the buffing. I think it may play similar to earth int hat you can stack defenses in a similar way to absorption. Maybe there is a point where you can buff to the point of "invulnerability" (basically a shield). We can even see a reflect like like shield as well though there won't be an overt shield animation. Rage introduced the ability to pretty much infinitely stack HP. maybe we will see something like that for Serums. Instead of a rage crash maybe we will have an overload so we ahve to be careful how much we stack and the timing between adding stacks.
    As far as injecting is concerned I was thinking they may hand wave it like they do with bane. We will probably jut see our toon explode with *insert color* energy and be buffed. We could have something subtle like this:
  12. Lacedog Loyal Player

I'm intrigued as well. Can't wait to find out more about the entire powerset.
  13. rawlings42 Well-Known Player

I desperately can't wait for this one. It should and really better have the size increase at least. And it should be about mixing effects of different serums combined with some unique grappling moves.
  14. Arx New Player

How will the Hero/Villan side differ from one another if at all? It would be nice if the gave an animation option for toons cause if there is an "injection" animation idk if i wanna see my toon shooting up for every ability i would be okay with just a super strength power. I hope it is more like bane if anything and we can have a not so noticeable tube that flows the serums in, and or maybe an option to change the look of it for players that want it showing. lol I have no idea but cant wait to see what they come up with!
  15. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Whatever it is, I just want to wrestle and overpower enemies in sheer strength. This, with a super jump variant would be an absolute unbelievable match
  16. Owl Devoted Player

I suspect there will at least one power that uses the current "Drink Soder" animation.
  17. Konialis Well-Known Player

This might just be my overactive imagination talking, but ever since they announced the three new powers i have noticed some very gradual very discreet changes to the animations of mobs and bosses that are supposed to have superstrength (excluding ofcourse the iconic ones, mainly kryptonians and amazons). The ones that have changed the most seem to be the second form of R'as al ghul on the League of Assasins alert and Bane on the lighthouse duo. That could be an indication towards the type of animation the physical aspect of experimental serums might take in my opinion.

The moves i am talking about are mainly the charge that R'as does and the 360 aoe handclap that both Bane and R'as seem to share
  18. CajunKhan Well-Known Player

I'm hoping for basically a blend of earth and rage, using only the powers that simulate super-strength.

I don't want any visuals that seem like better fit for Doc Strange than for Hulk. If I can't see Hulk or Bane doing it in a comic, than I don't want it.
  19. Trial 1 New Player

Likely won't see any "injection" animations. The ESRB would have to reevaluate this game's rating and add simulated drug use. Yikes.

Soder animation - likely
    Cloudy chemical effects like bane's venom barrels - yeah, very likely and probably going to be the root of most of the animations.

I've a very ... very faint speculation that there just might be a physical character change like Nature.
    A stock muscle man/woman that draws from your color pallet.

I see a combo like system and crash system like rage.

Transform by initiating "venom" ... get stronger (buffs) ... use some physical maneuvers ... mix in some WM ... avoid "crashing" ... repeat.

From my phone - I apologize for weird formatting.
  20. Konialis Well-Known Player

I was playing Bane in Legends yesterday and i was thinking of how they could implement the venom supercharge he has into an actual tanking mechanic.Here is what i came up with.

it is basically a power called serum boost or serum shot that can be activated in three stages just like bane's supercharge. The first activation heals you for 50% of your health and gives you a 25% damge absortion for 12s, the second activation heals you for 30% of your health and gives you 50% damage absorbtion for 18s and lastly the third activation heals you for 20% of your health and gives you a 75% damage absorbtion until you are out of combat while at the same time locks you out of 60% of your power bar. The power then turns into another power (most likely a physical one) that costs 10% of your power and heals you for 5% of your health but has a very long cooldown.

It is basically a tank that gets more tanky the more damage it gets.