Should OP items and others be craftable?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sylo, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Sylo Committed Player

I posted my ideas about certain items being craftable for quite awhile now in various threads. I realize these items purpose is to entice players to by RB to keep rolling the dice, but other MMO's allow crafting of such items albeit not an easy thing to do. However I also think certain gear items could benefit from crafting, like jewelery, mask and weapons.

The crafting system has so much potential that seems to be going to waste IMO. All the various trash loot( literally, the trash ) could be given purpose in allowing it to be used as ingredients in the crafting of such items. Along with EXO'S, focusing elements, and plans + special items that need to be bought from a vendor for current marks. I.E if making a mask of op, or any op item, 200 rubber chickens( only trash loot I can remember atm ) a stack of 20 exobytes from all category's, aggressive, durable, tenacious etc, a stack of 40 focus elements( current ), plan from vendor for 100 current marks plus special item for 50 marks( fabric for mask, basic metal for weapons, gold for jewelery, etc ). Much less for current tier items of mask, jewelery, and weapons.

Not saying that such items as should be removed from the loot table because I realize there are people who want these to remain entirely on luck, just saying there should be other means( not easy means mind you, but means that do not require luck ) to acquire them for people. The biggest plus IMO to this idea is getting people back into the older content and extended play time for most with giving them something to do besides stand around going crosseyed from watching LFG, and the better point is giving the trash actual value and purpose.

I realize this was sorta tried with black dawn and vengance, but it was poorly implemented IMHO with plans being super rare drops on the loot table, which negated the entire idea.

Anyways just brainstorming to see what others think.
    • Like x 3
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I think every item should be rewarded for an exceeding amount of effort.

With regards to the Omnipotence items, I'd be happy for them to remain as a random drop if it would help in negotiations to get the best gear distributed because of effort and not randomly.

But I'd love to see them make these items build-able through R&D providing that it wasn't an easy thing to do.

I play games to be challenged. Kind of like climbing a mountain, starting at the bottom, looking up at the peak which is your end goal. A cable car to the top would make the whole experience irrelevant. But being told you can only go beyond the next point if you roll a 6 on a 20 sided dice is just ludicrous and not worth it. Everyone willing to climb the mountain should be able to reap the reward of reaching the top.

Games which have this kind of ideology are good at keeping me engaged and content. Games which don't, I grow tired off and move on from. For the last 21 months, this has been the case with DCUO and now I'm starting to grow tired. The reason I don't let go is because I've invested a lot of time and money into this game and want to see it survive and prosper, but by doing it the right way.
  3. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

When they announced R&D I was happy but it has turned out to be one of the biggest let downs in the game there's so much potential and it's wasted.
    • Like x 1
  4. Simple Answers New Player

I've always wanted that helm from Prime Battleground.
  5. Sylo Committed Player

Yeah in no way should the "recipes" be something one could easily grind in a day. I just think it would add a little more depth to the game plus actually have a mechanic where if the player puts in the effort it pays off.
    • Like x 1
  6. Kristyana New Player

In my opinion, the best gear should be able to be obtained by two different ways - assuming that the gear is identical:

1) As drops from raids (easiest way, for people that are skilled enough to run them)
    2) Crafted with an ungodly amount of materials

Every other game I play has this. We've even seen some of this in previous DLCs before the concepts got canned.

I would love to see the best gear in the game also be able to be crafted. You could buy materials with marks, trade them, sell them in the broker, etc. We saw this with some tradeable items in Hand of Fate with the codex plans. Fabric used to be tradeable, and the soder plans you bought with marks were as well. Are they still? I haven't checked.

It would be a great mark sink and give premiums another way to play the market.

EDIT: It could also go towards stabilizing the ingame economies since they're going to merge across servers.
    • Like x 3
  7. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

Yes. For the love of Grodd, yes. I miss crafting. I miss killing and gathering to find the right bits and pieces for the project I'm working on. I miss spending weeks and months stockpiling materials so that I can attempt to build something, knowing that I only have a 30% chance of actually succeeding (and making sure I have enough stuff to make a few attempts). I miss that feeling you get when you finally succeed. I miss learning new crafting recipes and customizing the armour I make. I miss selling my stuff to other players, building up a customer base and making special commission items.

When I first started playing this game, I didn't really do much research. I saw the DC logo and thought that I'd give it a go. I knew there was a Gadgets power, and in my naivety I assumed that I would be building my own gadgets (learning schematics, gathering components etc.). Nothing in this game has disappointed me more than finding out that was not the case, in fact I almost called it quits (then I discovered Sorcery and gave it another shot). I would kill for a good, solid, meaty crafting system in this game.
    • Like x 2
  8. Scar-Red Nova Dedicated Player

I always thought the Norseman thing was a good idea but I don't like how the mission drop rate is low and even then lower for the specific piece you need. Maybe like 100 Fury (or whatever top tier mark) for the Mission then the materials drop in the raids but they're rare.Llike FE6 in TD rare. Different materials per raid last boss, non-tradeable.
  9. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

R&D/crafting has been handled terribly by DCUO and I recent changes make it abundantly clear that the powers-that-be are trying to move on from it, especially since no updates have been made to improve or expand it, as they have focused more on gaming elements that can be monetized with minimal time sink.
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

This.

What we need is a revamp of the whole crafting system but I think to make it more complex the game would need to make space otherwise or drop a certain platform everyone is already complaining about ( :p )

I'd love to see some changes there. There's no need for craftable gear but I'd like to see changes in Mod and Soder crafting.

Mods with dual stats and % to crit or something, soders with HoTs or PoTs in addition to a percentage heal, Stims like the cookies from the seasonal who buff stats for a short time etc.
    • Like x 2
  11. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Nah, this would be a bad approach. It would put the developers in a position to reduce the drop rates to near impossible levels or make certain pieces as rare as the Omnipotent pieces.

The system needs to change so that luck isn't a factor AT ALL in players being able to get the best rewards. Kirstyana is on the right track with an appealing suggestion that changes nothing of how we currently earn gear, but gives us the option of either purchasing the gear for an extremely high amount of marks (but still realistic within the time frame of 3 months) or a LOT of R&D components. Maybe even a mixture of the two.

That way there's an option for those who just want to spam the replays on getting the gear as a random drop from the raids, but those who don't have the option of doing it in an "epic quest" style or just by grinding out a lot of marks. No infringement on either side of the debate's preferred method. Both working towards the same goal. Like approaching a city via a highway or on a train. Same destination, different modes of transport to get them there.
  12. Derio 15000 Post Club

Remove the luck factor and just make it a very long grind.
    • Like x 2
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

To me it's win-win.

The devs get their money from the compulsive gamblers who want to blow through the tier at record speed and get the gear from beating the hardest content.

They get the money from players like me who don't cancel their subscription and are enticed into speeding up their grind through replay badges.

Make it happen, devs :mad: Mepps! I know you're reading, friend :mad: Make it happen.
    • Like x 1
  14. Sylo Committed Player

Thats pretty much what I said.