HL new Combo AM ¿GUIDE?

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Lantern Jild, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Instincts New Player

Brilliant guide.

Also glad you said that you started Assault No.2 with IMP, because it starred it out because you meant to put Power IMP which made me laugh once I realised :)

Will try this out tonight, it's been 10 months since I knocked the dust off my HL toon.

I do have one question though, does HL AM basically allow me to take all those wasted SP I have in WM trees and reapply them into extra might slots and then pickup the 25 Prec/Might boost at the bottom of each tree? Because I am assuming that, if I use HL AM, I will never use my weapon & there it doesn't matter what weapon I use, apart from whether it is melee/ranged. Right?

Oh I also forgot to ask about melee rotations as I didn't spot anything about that. I saw someone using 2 different armorys with different weps which I could only assume at the time was a different build for melee/range as he started using claws (in AoD).

I am so far removed from HL these days it's unbelievable, I miss the old fast clip days and mega burn :|
  2. The God New Player

Why didn't you mention dazed pi in the guide? And are you playing HL dps without using chompers at all? It basicaly cuts damage of constructs in half.
  3. Rokyn Dedicated Player

You don't need the dazed PI for the combo AM. Dazed PI only affects damage pre-2.5 seconds in combat or at 4 seconds starting when your enhanced combo damage kicks in. Most cases, there could be other people who can daze for you or that are dazing in your group. So you can be more power conservative and not use it and just work with your teammates. Once enhanced combo damage kicks in, you are doing damage dependant only on modifiers and precision damage.
    • Like x 1
  4. The God New Player

Mhm, didn't know that, thank you.
    • Like x 1
  5. Delta795 New Player

Construct combos are prec. based damage so make sure you are speccing into everything that enhances prec. or weapon based attacks..NOT Might

As for melee based rotations you can spec I to those along with range if smart wit PP. I use claw > hold claw > swing > boxing glove just not in newest content as its kind of a death wish
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Theirs the way that it was set up by Tunso in which a player would spec into

• Light Claws
    • Spike Quake
    • Ram
    • Mini Gun
    • Chompers
    • Light Weight
    • Fan
    • Chainsaw
    • Boxing Gloves
    • Impact
    • Entrap
    • Grasping Hand
    • Light Blast
    • Both DPS passive innates in the Iconic Tree
    This was done so that the player could combo from range infinitely AoE to AoE or Melee infinitely AoE to AoE.
    Combo's would be
    Range - Fan>IMP>LB>MG>RAM>FAN repeat
    Melee - Claws>LS>BG>CS>Claws repeat
    Your free to use whatever you'd like to combo. Their is time's when melee'ing won't be okay. If you opt to go LB>MG>ST. Then the old Claw>RAM>WT>IMP would still be usable. All constructs are buffed to include the Dazed PI, Chompers/SQ DoT, Ins buff once the player reaches 4 or 2.5 seconds(if in combat). You can use CH or SQ pre 4 or 2.5 seconds to increase the damage from those constructs(before the AM boost kicks in).
    If using the combo AM I suggest increasing your precision as high as you can. Might will only affect your combo starter and PI applicator. I suggest staying in your combo's as long as possible. Once it stops you have to ramp up to get to your boosted damage.
    You don't have to use the loadout as specified designed by Tunso. Use the powers/combo's that work best for you. Many of Lights powers have a similar damage range. So using what works for you and how you want to play will be ideal.
    • Like x 1
  7. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Just to jump in on what Rokyn was saying....

AM boosted damage post 4 seconds(2.5 if already in combat) consists of the Dazed PI, Chompers/SQ DoT, and Inspiration buff running in the background. This was done since the player wouldn't be able to cast those and continue combo'ing. Its best to continue combo'ing as long as possible.
    • Like x 1
  8. Babacua New Player

Question: Is it better to renew insp and NVB everytime off CD or should I just keep with my hit count and then when i get knocked down or whatever case may be that gets me out of my hit count and to then renew the buffs?
  9. Instincts New Player

Thanks.

Couple more things to ask though:

- If I decide to run ST->LB->MG , then I don't need to spec into Inspiration or worry about using Chompers/Inspiration in my loadout correct? I can literally just buff before loadout & then keep using ST-LB-MG?
    I did this in lab last night as a 107 DPS and managed to comfortably out dps the other HL (a friend of mine) and he uses the ranged combo Fan-Imp-LB-MG-Ram-Fan. Not sure whether that was due to it being a better combo, or because of differences. He is 111CR/90SP & I am 107CR/159SP. Maybe the difference between gear & SP meets somewhere in the middle, but I doubt it.

Anyway... So does Melee combo still throw up way more damage than ranged combos? Like it was in the old day before everything went ranged & before HL got slowed down to snail pace.

And what about trinket buffs... Has anyone tested HL Vs HL on the test dummies doing the same combos but with & without stopping for trinket buffs?

Seems like there might be a lot of damage being given up without self buffing, unless the whole AM buff thing is that strong...
  10. Babacua New Player

also has anyone noticed that when u do ST that it doesn't more than sometimes doesnt show the dmg/register? It shows the dot ticks but not the actual dmg Or is it just me.
  11. KhaosNitemare New Player

the simple fact of the matter is regardless of which load out you choose, inspiration isn't too necessary as you're generally going off your leech your buffs from teammates as well as your neck mod.
    As far as dpsing vs your friend, sp does in fact matter. He's not Critting for volume you are. Even if his base damage is higher, you will be crit more often for higher numbers. And truthfully your precision might have been closer than you think as you can grab full mastery classes.
    With the trinkets, you definitely should be stopping your combos to buff yourself with trinkets, sodas, and supply drops.
    Also, one thing you should calculate is how much you're getting out of your combos. If you run ST combos you are betting heavily on your LB-MG probably close to 85% when using the Fan combo you're closer to 70%. If you are holding your LB-mG to get max damage and your friend isn't, it could HEAVILY affect scoreboard damage. So don't let your numbers in comparison to others have anything to do with your decision as far as your load out. Only compare your numbers with YOUR numbers. Run entire raids testing both load outs and any variations and run what works best for you. Everything else, is everything else
    • Like x 1
  12. Instincts New Player

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give two f***s about the overall number aspect of damage, as that's not the type of player I am, (Support role 1st ftw) But the only reason I used my friend as an example is because we run a lot of content together & it helps to give me an idea of where my damage is at also compared to my previous runs with him.

For instance, I noticed that I can put a stronger burn in raids on my 113CR/97SP Sorcery dps (Still missing 3 weapon trees because of 2H WM) than I could with my 107/159 HL DPS.

I'm sure that'll change as I gear up, as I am still missing some mods.
  13. KhaosNitemare New Player

Well the thing is, if he's playing differently than you it can give u good comparison but with HL failing to do very small things can end up costing heavily in damage. So with most powers, ya do all the comparing you want.... But HL is a little different. Btw I'm going to say this, not as disrespect but just cause I feel it should be said.....113/97sp is a joke... Lol anyway good luck broseph
  14. Spin Off New Player

LB and MG are the 2 hardest hitting constructs we have, so the quicker you can get to them the better off you will be, which is why ST>LB>MG is better then the standard fan impact combo. That on top of your SPs is probably why you out damaged him.

I always buff /spike/chomp before combos then stay on as long as I can until I'm knocked out or hit and hit counter resets, then I reapply buffs and throw up a spike/chomp and go again.
    I'm cure my cr 108 and I'm by no means an expert but I do find myself out dosing other HL with more cr using fan and imp and not using st lb b
  15. Instincts New Player

I should clarify, I wasn't trying to show off when I stated that. Maybe I can give you a little context, that 113/97 was rolled a week ago from a fresh toon on a completely different PSN, while also working 9-6.

Not trying to justify the low SP, clearly it's something that I am building on as the time goes on, but to me this game has always been Skill > Skill Points > CR & low SP didn't stop me solo healing the T6 raids (Exc L&W) with 40SP and some dps gear, or soloing Lab/HoH with low SP, or keeping within respectable DPS range of the more SP & higher CR guys.

I already did a relative SP grind before I left the game like a year or so ago and stopped bothering at 158 on my old toon, then I returned & didn't want to play on a different PSN than my main PSN which I use for rockstar livestreams. So figured I'd roll a new character.

I hope that clarifies some of the SP confusion & gives you a bit of perspective, you of all people should understand that numbers don't always tell the same story.

And thanks for clearing up my AM query.
  16. Instincts New Player

Good to know.

I wondered really about the buffing issue as I went at least a few minutes yesterday in Lab without being knocked out of my combo, & that happened multiple times and I kept thinking "maybe I should stop and buff up" but wasn't sure if essentially it was worth the damage loss.
  17. Delta795 New Player

In short, trinkets yes. PI / Insp, NO.
    I will always stop to reapply trinket since they massively boost your stats. As well as supply drops, but u til I get knocked out of combo frenzy I'm trying to stay in it as long as possible.
  18. The God New Player

I do stop my combo to reapply buffs.
  19. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

A) We don't have to use INS. It will increase damage during the period its active. It's better to have a teammate who has a precision/crit chance boost and stand near them. That way you can stay in your combo's as long as possible dealing maximum damage.

Chompers or Spike Quake will apply the Dazed PI. They also start the power back mechanic. You can use one of them before you start your combo's or when your knocked out of a combo to get that additional damage to dazed enemies(during the 4 or 2.5 second period).

Rokyn used the analyzer and was able to see that the range rotation's damage during a 2 minute period was getting most of its damage from LB and MG. Letting them tick is arguably ideal. The down side to using ST>LB>MG>ST is having that single target but ST deals good strong single target damage.

I'd guess that you having much more SP probably had more to do with it.... If you we're ahead by a comfortable margin. Each are good combo rotation's. The nice thing about ST>LB>MG is that we can get to LB>MG quicker and build the hit counter a little quicker. You may also just be a better DPS.

B) Yes, Its the dev's intention to make melee do more damage than full range powers/rotations. In a vacuum I'd say that the melee rotation will deliver more damage from what I've seen and tested. That said soft CC can knock users out of their combo's fairly easy in melee range. That will take the air out of a users sail. Theirs of course times when melee is a bad idea....

I'm not sure what the difference is statistically. I don't think melee does a ton more damage(as compared to the old days) but will do more damage if the user can continually combo.

C) I haven't tested the difference. Not sure if someone else has. Their is ample time to cast a trinket or any number of trinkets. Trinkets are clipping tools so if your starting your rotation with CH to get the Dazed PI/Power Back you can clip CH with your trinket. Then go into combo's. If your casting a SC, stopping briefly to pop trinket, supply drop cast CH then SR is fine. Then its back into combo's. I think you we're looking to see if anyone has tested to see if its worth it to stop and buff yourself with the trinket. I'd just pop my trinkets before I start.

D) It can seem like that. The AM boost is a flat amount. It's damage is based on the Dazed PI, CH/SQ DoT, Inspiration buff. We do enhanced amounts of damage during that time. It's still got the heart of Light. Smaller chunks of damage dealt quickly over time than compared to other AM's. I'd suggest if you see a nature, Light(troller), Rage, Celestial player try to get one of them at least to carry their Prec Buff and keep it active. Have that person stand near you so you get the buff. Then when it comes to trinkets pop them as their available, as it fits your play in the mission.

The Dazed PI is also another thing another player can apply. Gadgets, Mental, Earth, Light(again the troller ideally) can apply the Dazed PI for us. That will allow the player to get max damage still pre 4/2.5 secs.

Hope that helps. I
    • Like x 1
  20. RamsesVIIX New Player

Quick question! Wondering in the long run which rotation has more dpsing starting off with ram snap lb mg or simply snap lb mg?