why are my characters renamed? I'm a lifetime subscriber

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by isee, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isee New Player

Title of thread says it all.

My character selection screen has a dozen character names, all of them unique because they are all sucky names no one would ever pick, all renamed.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but the announcement for this name change thing said any innactive names will be reclaimed.

How am I innactive? I have a lifetime subscription. I've been logging on all week once a day this week. Why do every single one of my characters in my character selection screen have "_I_I" after them?

isee turned into "isee_I_I"

Asheron turned into "Asheron_I_I"

etc.
    • Like x 1
  2. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

If the last time you logged in to the game was 18 months before January 20th, your names became up for grabs. Being subscribed did not mean your account was active.
    • Like x 7
  3. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

There was more than just a reclaim today.

They also did a merge of the PS and PC name database according to region. So why you have those _I after your names is because some from the other platform also has those names.
    • Like x 7
  4. isee New Player

Last time I logged in was for that prosieben or how ever you spell it thing they did. before that, 18 months. so in the last two years, i've logged in a at least once between the 18 month marker.

And where does it say anything about accounts being innactive? A subscriber is active by definition. Who cares how long a person plays as long as they are paying monthly. In my case I paid $200 upfront when no one would invest in this game, before anyone thought it would last, long before it went F2P, and kept playing when the servers were all but dead.
  5. Zernam New Player

So long as isee's account was active (logged in within 18 mos) the characters would not have been modified by the process today, there are still people with duplicate names on PC and PS (to be resolved later if they get Cross Play to fruition).
    • Like x 3
  6. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

b/c they didnt like you characters name :rolleyes:
    • Like x 2
  7. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's not the criteria they set for determining "inactive". If an account (not a specific character) hadn't been logged into since July 20, 2013 then those characters got renamed. This was clearly stated in their release at the beginning of the year.

tl;dr - play more ;)
    • Like x 7
  8. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Ok I was going on the fact that he said he was active, so I went with what I thought was a sensible answer to his question.

I now see his definition of active is not quite correct so my previous statement is now invalid in this case. Although it could still be valid for others, I don't know for sure how they are dealing with the duplicate name thing.
    • Like x 1
  9. Miserable Dedicated Player

Your statement wasn't just invalid in this case, it was completely false. Nobody had their character renamed because someone on the other platform had the same name.
    • Like x 1
  10. VintageWine Dedicated Player

Just because you are lifetime doesn't matter. Stop with the entitlement please.
    • Like x 11
  11. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Not from what I've heard from friends. I've yet to go and verify these things, but I have heard of characters having their names changed.
    • Like x 1
  12. KiaserX Level 30

I am a lifetimer, but I have also been very active with my account. That means that I have fought through multiple levels of content and supported the game with marketplace purchases. Since you have not logged in the game at all, you basically quit. The game has not taken away your lifetime membership, and you still get all the perks of being legendary. The name reclaim was a necessary step in progression.

In the comics, some characters can take over names of those who are no longer able or willing to do the job anymore. You were likely given an email ,of some sort, in regards to name claim. I did. Just like most things, if you don't use it you could lose it. I am glad to see interesting names in the watchtower again and the happiness of the current playerbase with names they can be proud of. The name creation was getting ridiculous with the amount of names that were unavailable. New players had to resort to model numbers or some creative method to get a passable name.This game does not give handles like @whatever.this

I am sorry you lost out on your names from a standpoint of a player who suddenly found interest in the game the day of the reclaim. There are many new names to choose from. After all, this is a business and sometimes the old names on the door get replaced with new names. I hope this does not drive you away and you can enjoy the game again. It has come a long way.
    • Like x 4
  13. chipzes Committed Player

• Like x 7
  14. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

• Like x 5
  15. Ghaladh Dedicated Player

Man, in many countries, if you buy a piece of land and you leave it unattended and unused, and some squatter makes it his home, you will lose the property after a few years, without even getting paid back. If you have a personal parking spot with your name on your work place, but you keep parking elsewhere because is more comfortable to you, you will lose the privilege sooner or later. If you have a girlfriend, but you don't call her for months, guess what's going to happen...

Do I need to make more tangible real life examples? If you are not using it, you have no right to demand it as yours just because you bought a lifetime subscription 4 years ago. It's just selfish. You don't even care for the game anymore! You just logged in because you wanted to keep the names to yourself! If, and I do mean IF you will ever return playing, your characters will have _l_l at the end of the names you have chosen. I am pretty sure you can live with it.
    • Like x 4
  16. White Streak New Player

Wait. So when the last big merger happened and everyone's names got smooshed together, YOU'RE the guy I lost my Asheron too. I had a Sorc HB Healer named and set up to look like Asheron from Asheron's Call but I lost the name on that character during the big server merge. I have finally found you.. I've put some contracts out in Gotham, Metropolics, Central City, Oa, and others. You shall not be safe.

In reality I never really play so it's fine, I do think it's funny though.
    • Like x 3
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

I am sure you are aware by now that with the reclaim they also merged the PC/PS name database regionally.

This means that the USPC and USPS name databases are now one system. With this there are undoubtedly a great deal of duplicate names now. These names may not have been reclaimed but instead some sort of symbol such as _I or _I_I would need to be placed after said names in order to differentiate between them, system wise.

So no I was not "completely false" in my statements.
  18. Miserable Dedicated Player

Fair enough. Your statement about them merging the name database is true. But no one was renamed except for the inactive accounts. There are still duplicate names on the 2 servers in the same region.
  19. Miserable Dedicated Player

The only names changed were those of characters on accounts that have been inactive for 18+ months. No active names were touched, even there's someone with the same name on the other platform.
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

Regarding the region merge, there is still a level 14 toon on USPS named Remander. Neither of us were renamed. Not that it couldn't have been botched somehow. I'm just glad none of my names were changed. Better stay that way!
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.