Help with blocking and countering

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Wanderica, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Wanderica New Player

If I'm ever going to get those feat points from PvP, I really need some time in the woodshed to learn how to block and counter properly. I understand the concept, but learning on most PvE MOBs just doesn't cut it. Anyone know of a good spot or dungeon to practice this before I go and frustrate myself in PvP?
  2. ACW37162 Loyal Player

T5 and up content where even mobs can counter and be countered.

Gotham wastelands
    Metropolis Battlezone
    Gotham Warfronts

All have mobs who can counter, roll a tank if your not already, good tanks are good at counter mechanics.

Tanking end game content is as close as your going yo get to a pop match.

Also any of the iconic anomalies work out counters with legends characters.

Ras Al ghoul has a counterable range that carries a huge telegraph and do still hit like a truck, if you enjoy legends pve at all
    • Like x 1
  3. Wanderica New Player

Perfect. That's exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.
  4. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I'd personally advise the Huntress and Bizarro solos. Though honestly, even decent players in PvP are going to be far, far better than they are.

Also if you're on USPC I'll be happy to show you sometime. Me and a few people are going to be running some drills this weekend to improve our reaction times so you can learn some of the basics and when you're ready, some more advanced things there as well such as baiting.

EDIT: This offer goes to anyone who's on USPC and wants to work on counter mechanics.
    • Like x 4
  5. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

THIS ESPECIALLY : Specifically the Test Subject #1 Challenge; I would say the Bizarro Solo is hands down the BEST Block Counter training in the game, it FORCES you to understand it from the second major fight forward and makes sure that you know EXACTLY what value it has after that.

Also (if you want a brush-up late game Solo Target you can just fight All The Time) - the Obot.

If you find the Obot to be a little much, fight the Mbot instead.
    • Like x 2
  6. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

PVE mechanics work better than PVP...PVP you have players using hacks and there is lag that makes PVPing hard or impossible at times...

For instance, I was doing PVP Legends yesterday. I lunged at a player using range, I hit them but they must have blocked before I hit them, even though it showed no signs of them block, I get knocked over and that they start using range again, and rinse and repeat.

I also know one handed has a 1 second window where you can go melee into range without the attack showing any range attack, but both still count...

There are other things such as major issues around block breaking...
    Other will say powers make it harder, etc...I say it is teh PVP mechanics.

One player I run with is great at PVP and admits it is due to the PS3 and the fact that he guesstimates what your next move is knowing his system lags where as you cannot do that with the PS4 due to faster rendering...
  7. Guilty_iNNOCENCE8o8 New Player

Sorry dude, I'm not going to sugar-coat. Best advice for learning PVP counter mechanics:

GET IN AN ARENA / LEGENDS MATCH, START LEARNING.

Aside from hackers, lag, and facing a seasoned PVPer, best way to learn PVP is by DOING PVP. NPC's don't react or fight like an actual person. 'Nuff said.
  8. Lord Raiden Dedicated Player

Best way to learn is in arenas and legends. But be warned, there will be an overwhelming amount of times where you will block and get no counter but then get block broken when you're in the middle of an attack.
  9. Cable Committed Player

There's really no AI in the game that can teach you to counter like trial and error against actual players, however something that can give you an advantage is to familiarize yourself with every weapon combo in the game and each and every weapon mastery combo associated with them. It may seem time consuming but learning what combos each weapon utilizes can help you to predict what combos your opponent is going to to try to hit you with (or alternatively fake you out with). To go even further than that is familiarizing yourself with the counter mechanics of each and every power. Learning what moves from each power are susceptible to counters will also go a ways towards victory in the arena.
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

This happening intentionally highly depends on server lag and ping. If you notice this happening a lot try to not play during peak hours.

It's also important not to confuse lag with windows as counters aren't based on animations.
  11. CrazyArtBrown Dedicated Player

The cultists in the T5 missions are good for practicing. The ones who fight with a staff are really useful, because they give you a harsh stunning if you just let them attack. Block or counter instead, and you'll slice them down fast. Those enemies are everywhere in the Gotham Wasteland. I like the groups inside of the Knightsdome Arena duo best for practice. You can walk into that yourself instead of queuing. All the bosses in there are good to practice on as well.

As someone already mentioned, on the hero side the Oolong bot is extremely good for practicing blocks, counters, and rolls too. I used to fight him several times a day when I was trying to learn this better.

Inside of the Trigon alert, the Avatar of Sin also has some very easy to read tells. I used to run that every day for easy lunging to interrupt practice. Nowadays, people blow through that so fast that it's not as instructive as a queued alert anymore. If your CR is high enough, you might do that as a solo too though.
  12. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

What kind of drills? I'm on USPS but I find myself unable to BB on reaction. It's the one type of counter I pull off the least in everything from 5s to 1v1s. I'd appreciate any tips you have for improving reaction time. You can PM me.
  13. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

It's a relatively simple drill. I'll probably end up recording a tutorial on it eventually but for now I'll toss you a PM :) anyone interested can do the same.