GU 43: Mental Advanced Mechanics

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Tunso, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Skorpion Dedicated Player

Well Mepps said in a non-specific way. They are revieng info for the AM and the overall power seperately (in terms of balancing) but do not have much intention on doing much for now.
  2. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Yeah, but that lunge won't hit. Only weapon attacks that you can put in between amplifiers are taps. No holds, no tap hold combos, just taps.
    • Like x 1
  3. Norwegian ninja Well-Known Player

Tunso, do you actually want to have feedback and an honest discussion about the Mental AM? Prior to your post there were 7 1/2 pages of posts. While some drifted into WM and what they would do differently, there were some posts that spoke specifically to the AM. You did not reply to them, you ignored them. Very similar to what you did in the testing feedback thread.

People are disappointed because feedback had been given prior to the release specifically about the AM being poor and it was still released as is. We are told that the AM is working as intended.

Read the rest of the thread, there is a chart and graph showing that a cr 108 toon with 5500 might can out dps a cr 111 mental with might of 6800. Is this really working as intended? Did the Devs sit around and have a meeting and say lets make mental so weak that a power with 1300 less might can outpace it? Because unless that is what you planned, it isn't working as intended.

As has been stated many times by multiple people in both this and the testing thread:

This AM has little variety. We have 1 power to activate the AM and need 3 to amplify it. To get those 3 we get to choose from 4 options. Once amplified, we have two finishers to choose from. Neither hits very hard, very consistent, or from any type of range. This lack of range brings another issue. We now need to be in close to the ads. By moving in close, we are in danger of getting hit, thus interrupting the 5 moves (can't move while doing them either) we need to chain together. In sum, it is stiff, lengthy to perform, easily interrupted, lacks variety and hits like a wet noodle.

While I am a passionate person, I am also logical. Can you, Mepps, or anyone else please explain the logic behind the changes to the Mental community(no pun intended)?

Why did you design an AM that is significantly weaker than all the other AMs in terms of damage out?
    Why can't it work at range?
    Why not include more options to get the amplification?
    If time and resources were a concern, why did you even release it until it was up to par with the others?

I truly doubt you will reply to this. The lack of interaction between the testers and the Devs in the testing thread has fostered the perception that you don't really care about our feedback. It has created a mindset that this is what the Devs want and to heck with everyone else. That is a shame. I am certain you want to create something you can be proud of and that we can enjoy. Take a good look at the feed back. Does it appear that people are enjoying this AM? No one in here is naive. We all realize that there is no emergency update coming in to turn it all back the way it was. However, many of us are frustrated, angry, mad, disappointed. Both the post you made and the one Mepps made were taken by me (not speaking for anyone else here) as a slap in the face. The comments seemed to fit in with the perception that you really don't care. My opinion was that you and Mepps came across as not wanting to hear any feedback that wasn't a glowing endorsement of the new AM.

While I am passionate, I am also logical here is your opportunity to set everyone straight. This is in the discussion section of the forums. I am inviting you to participate in this discussion. Help us understand.
    • Like x 9
  4. E Clip Dedicated Player

Did some visual tests on this, but it does look that moves benefit from the PI's. Again, just going by what I was seeing on screen, I will do more testing tomorrow when I have time.
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

The purpose of clipping a lunge is the mobility, not the damage. For instance, in the holiday event Larfleeze will jump to the farthest player every once in a while, and instead of interrupting a resonance cycle and having to start building resonance all over again, you can clip a lunge to get him in range of Mass Terror and continue Dpsing.
    • Like x 2
  6. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

Exactly. Probably explains why Fire is the best tank power and its AM is better than Nature's.....
    • Like x 1
  7. Dylan Top5 New Player

lol, good one
  8. Veritech Loyal Player

Maybe you should read where that was coming from. Its to make ground to stay in mid range for mass terror.
    Geez you mental ppl are negative
  9. Dylan Top5 New Player

you can also jump and move while casting, that way you can still maintain your melee taps in between powers
  10. Xzotix Committed Player

Melee is not my thing so I'm back to Electric toon til this AM is "updated". I like the power back mechanics the damage and RANGE is just far to low and my FAV SC still useless. I would put Mass Terror range completely back to the way it was, except the power cost mechanic, we need MAX range in this AM, Levitation is not it.
    #HelpUsMentally
  11. CTEN Well-Known Player

I really like what Norwegian said.

There have been three Dev posts in this thread.
    1 starting it.
    1 apologizing.
    1 damage control.

I want to make a decent post about all the issues that this AM has caused, but I don't think the devs will hear me while their head is buried in the sand.

Give us a reason to waste our time.
    We did it in the testing feedback thread and you didn't listen
    We did it in this thread and are actively not listing.

Is there any hope?
    • Like x 4
  12. E Clip Dedicated Player

Actually if that is working as Veritech said is very good stuff. Maybe you've noticed how good Gadgets DPS players do it when they see adds: lunge into Distract + EMP without even waiting for the Tank to go first. That's a very good tactic because they shave off a good 50k off of the adds in a second, thats damage they can add to them and practically rob other DPSes of potential damage. If this is possible with Mental AM, its cool, but the difference is that it virtually poses no risk to the Gadgets player because of how Distract works, unlike Mental which will be vulnerable during this time. Its still possible though, but you gotta do it a split second after Tank gets the aggro so you are safer this way.
  13. MentosTroll Loyal Player

I was just elaborating on what you said. Stop being so sensitive.
  14. Veritech Loyal Player

I wasn't being sensitive lol.
    Just trying to help someone out with a range issue.
    • Like x 1
  15. Blazing Marauder Active Player

Pay attention to the bastard child of DCUO powersets

Nuff said
  16. Absolix Loyal Player

The way you replied made it sound like you were attempting to tell him that the way he was trying to fit in more weapon damage wouldn't work, which wasn't what he was talking about.

I understand that you were probably trying to make sure that anyone reading the conversation wouldn't mistakenly assume the damage from the lunge would register, but nothing was said to clarify it wasn't a direct response to the quote, but rather a clarification about a related detail.
  17. DorianM Well-Known Player

Here is an idea, instead of nearly 10+ pages of complaining about how people "feel" about the changes to Mental or about how the changes "destroyed" your favorite power can we give more actual feedback on the AM like the devs asked? Greenman's first post was a great start with some of the feedback. The Mental AM has many similarities with the Gadgets AM and with some tweaks i think could rival the power without being a total copy.

1) Like gadgets, a majority of players would like to have more powers to amplify resonance. Every player using the Mental AM has the exact same load out. I believe that this may already be in the works but its still worth mentioning as feedback.

2) Grandeur- With the similarities to gadgets this power should be involved in the AM. I do not believe it should work as a damage amplifier like distract does in gadgets, but more as an additional resonance amplifier.

3)Stealth- The problem with stealth at the moment is after using this power you lose all current amplify resonance stacks. Also if Psychic Resonance is applied in stealth it does not function properly with the power back mechanic after leaving stealth even if renewed using MT or ML.

4) Amplified resonance- This needs to last until the Resonance mechanic is renewed from ML/MT or until the Resonance mechanic falls off. There are far too many unavoidable ways for you to lose stacks which really negatively affect the play style of the Mechanic. You should not be penalized for blocking to survive boss mechanics if you would have still had the time to properly get a full x3 amplify ability off. The timing is set to where just one ranged hold or even blocking is enough to lose all previous amplify resonance stacks.

5) Amplified Resonance (x2 vs x3)- The damage scaling of ML/MT from the amplified resonance x2 to the x3 amplified needs to be looked at. Using smaller numbers as an example a x1 MT= ~300 hit, x2 MT = ~500 hit and x3 MT= ~2000 hit. I would like to suggest less of a gap between the x2 vs x3 to somewhat more like x1 MT= 300, x2 MT = 750 and x3 MT = 1875. Not saying that the damage from the x3 multiplier needs to be lowered but just scaled better between the two amplifications.

6) Mass Levitation- There is no incentive to using this ability over Mass Terror because of the increased damage MT receives to targets within 12.5 yards of yourself. I would like to propose the same damage stimulant that MT has on nearby enemies to be applied to Mass Levitation. Have it work as increased damage to enemies within "6" yards of your target or just additional damage on the one target. With current content the risk for trying to use either MT or ML is about the same with the reward from MT being much greater.

This is my Feedback. Lets try to give more Feedback. Feedback. Feedback.
    • Like x 4
  18. E Clip Dedicated Player

Just tried this and it works, but you have to be real quick about it.
    • Like x 1
  19. Boub Level 30

Finally a Productive post on Mental!
    • Like x 1
  20. E Clip Dedicated Player

Most stayed on topic, sure we might have derailed from it from time to time, but its expected since the changes affected the powerset as a whole including the WM side of it. It doesn't negate what was said about the AM, and everyone is just rehashing the same thing which has been said many times over.

PsyRes when used from Stealth loadout works correctly, just tested in in the t6 solo. Using the Stealth loadout to put some other moves there is beneficial, MentosTroll suggested this yesterday on the Mental guide thread and I've been playing around with it this morning. Its cool and it lets you put PsyRes and Mass Hysteria or Menace on it, but its far from practical because getting in and out of Stealth is a bit wonky and if the resonance cycle is interrupted during this time you're in trouble. Also if you're taking damage while casting Stealth it breaks immediately and wont let you use any moves from the Stealth loadout :(

If Grandeur doesnt work exactly like Distract for Gadgets I dont see how it can be very beneficial. Distract-EMP is such a strong burst move that gives Gadgets an edge, so if Grandeur is to be included in the AM, this is exactly how it should work imo.

I like your ideas for x2 and x3, that could be beneficial if you need to close the resonance cycle faster, which for instance can be a good thing in LW las boss fight where you have to block quite often.

As for MT being a AM finisher, first and foremost, they need to remove the way MT damages objects because we are loosing a lot of damage this way due to splitting. This has been brought up many times and it clearly affects the AM in a very negative way.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.