GU 43: Mental Advanced Mechanics

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Tunso, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Synapse Well-Known Player

Having tested both the ranged and mid-range versions of the AM in all end game content, my opinion is that 1 of 2 things should happen: 1) as others have suggested, allow weapon attack clipping between resonance amplifying powers to bring total damage to anywhere from 12-13k or 2) increase the base damage of the powers used to amplify resonance. As E Clip said earlier, the new WM loadout saw an increase in dmg so it's a tricky line to walk.
    I appreciate the hard work you and the other devs put in, so I don't want this to sound like harassment lol, but I agree with most everything in Greenman's initial post right under the OP. I know all of that may not be able to be implemented so what I said above may be a good compromise. What I would really like in an AM is similar versatility to nature. I don't mean copy and paste, but I like how that power is set up. It's very dynamic. Thanks for reading!

PS- whenever a graphics overhaul is possible please give us a spit shine. Our animations look like hi-def doodles. I did like how Terror Blades used to look...
    • Like x 1
  2. BroadSt Bully Well-Known Player

Sorry to beat a dead horse devs, but I also agree with Greenman's post and pretty much everything he said. Unlike most of the posters here, I have only been mental for about 2 weeks (Was rage since it came out and needed a break) and the damage comparison between WM loadout last week and WM loadout this week versus AM is not even comparable in most instances.

While I like how much power you get back from resonance, a few things I would suggest for AM:
    • Not enough options. We're pigeon-holed into using 4 powers tops which can get very boring.
    • Boring, as Greenman has suggested, sitting there and pressing the same buttons over again can get very boring.
    • Lack of power interactions that work together. Granted I get we have mass terror and mass levitation that set up our PI's, but with resonance these PI's are basically null and void to my understanding. Gadgets on the other hand can set up PI's with Gauss, Cryo, Fear gas, stasis field and whatever else allowing for burst and extra dot damage, while setting up their big hit. If we could do this with Pyro, Cryo, Phantom Flames, thought bubble and psychic shock it may make powers hit stronger,
    • Make Grandeur and invisibility like distract/stealth in the way they work.
    • Make one of the supercharges viable. Either cut Mass Hysteria down to 50% OR make all of the ghosts that pop out all do damage equivalent to Robot sidekick for the time they are up.

On another note, if you could something with the look of some of the powers in the future that would be nice to, because as it stands right now everything looks basically the same with the exception of a different colored squiggily line.
    • Like x 1
  3. Dragon lord New Player

All mental was really turned to was a group burst damage with no single target sniping (PK). Oh, and everything greenman said.
  4. Locarthemanbeast Committed Player

I am actually having fun with the new AM. Its not the greatest thing to ever come out but its not miserable. Sure (and I do mean sure) there are things that need changing like if you aren't going to use the AM mental is now pretty useless I feel without much DOT's

First my rotation is quick. Once I get Psy Res going I hit my 3 then dump MT and start over. Everything is off of cool down. I rarely use my WM anymore even though I know you get a constant crit off of it. But its ok because the power I am getting back even with a troll is enough to allow me a damn near infinite rotation. I threw on my 35% to help with the clean up of single target adds at lower health.

I don't know where we need to go from here and Greenman has some seriously spot on points. Mass Terror is garbage and some of the moves that could have been updated got overlooked so you could put this AM out. Plus only giving us a small window of option for an AM means ever mental player with have the exact loadout a billion times over. But, the AM isn't the issue. The AM does what its suppose to do and works "well"...its the rest of the power.

IMO I feel like the team is trying to kick out all of these AM for all these powers but neglecting to improve powersets. This isn't a revamp, its a shuffle. Pair mental up against any other power and see how it fairs. Then look at the complex sets of AM for each power and tell me mental didn't get a very short stick.
    • Like x 2
  5. Little Sister New Player

When I hit Mass Lev or Mass Terror (depending on range), it seems like half the time it doesn't even hit the target, or it does but it will do barely any damage.

Other than that, I'm having some fun with it.
    • Like x 4
  6. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

Tried some quick testing on a mini cuz I didn't have to do all the respeccing on her (cr 101)..damage was all over the place on mass terror after setting up for the big payoff..some were under 1k...most around 2k...very very very rarely hit 6k. Seriously better to just use weapon full time. Used to be my fave power..ugh.
    • Like x 1
  7. Locarthemanbeast Committed Player

I noticed this last night too.

Since the damage is split, is there a possibility that if there are so many targets that when it splits, it splits so far that no damage is received?

Do you always get a number off a single target compared to a group?
  8. Little Sister New Player

No, all this has been on single targets, with maybe the max of like 3 (Historic District Battlezone quests).
  9. Locarthemanbeast Committed Player

I started to check range last night on MT. Idk how much of it was changed but I do feel like too far back is not hitting anything.
  10. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Mass Terror should only be working at mid-short range. It hits at long range, but the damage on it is putrid.

To get max DPS using the AM you have to be in melee range and pray you don't get knocked out of your rotation. It's silly and WM is the far superior alternative to this for plenty of reasons.
    • Like x 3
  11. DarthSizzle Dedicated Player

Ok so my mate has 5700 might and i have 7246 might and yet with out buffs we are both hitting about the same. Does that make any sense?
    • Like x 1
  12. DarthSizzle Dedicated Player

I also dont understand with my might at 7246 and having to be in melee range with MT am i hitting less than 10k i see 7k 8k does that make sense?
    • Like x 1
  13. DarthSizzle Dedicated Player

Omg so i pop a nitro get my might close to 8k and how am i hitting mt for 5k. What? This makes no sense.
    • Like x 1
  14. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Also, if this is a feedback thread, why is Test Server down?
    We need that up to see if there is a bug with Mass Levitation and Mass Terror.
    I.should be seeing well over 10k with MT at Res x3 and im only seeing 9k
    • Like x 2
  15. HazeTA New Player

Anyone noticing any difference from the supposed 5% crit chance, 25% crit damage buff were supposed to have?

I tried not specing WM and specing WM and i'm seeing absolutely no difference, especially as far as crit damage goes and i'm not seeing anything in current buffs either.
  16. DarthSizzle Dedicated Player

Exactly
  17. DarthSizzle Dedicated Player

Not seeing it either
  18. HazeTA New Player

Hmm, back to WM it is then, or... I think I might break my 3 year 'Mental4LYFE' mantra when respec tokens go on sale...
    • Like x 1
  19. CTEN Well-Known Player

Why did we bother to give feedback on test if you were still going to go live with this garbage?
    • Like x 6
  20. Little Sister New Player

^ This was the reason I almost quit. This AM is total garbage. They don't understand balance at all. I'm sure someone like Spytle will come in here and say otherwise, but really, UGH at Mental AM.
    • Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.