Mob Mentality

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by WEAP0N XW0LVERINE, Nov 24, 2014.

1. WEAP0N XW0LVERINE New Player

Has anyone noticed if you join a group that's filled with a league and your the odd man out, or should I say pug, that if anything goes wrong, you will bear the brunt of everyone's anger. I was on my healer and saw someone shouting they needed a healer for Ava and Zam. I joined them and saw that they were all in league together. I told my gf who was watching me play, that if anything goes wrong I will be the blame. Sure enough Penguin mows me down when he's at 2% health. The guys don't even notice me go down as they're wrapped up in their conversation. I also don't have a mic to say anything about me being dropped in the corner. (Btw, why can't we type when we're KO'ed?) They defeat Penguin, and afterwards one of the guys gives me a long rant about me being able to buy a Playstation and not have a mic. Tried to tell him my mic was broke, but even if it was working I don't like to talk anyway. I walked out while he was still ranting, he must've thought I really needed the alerts and I would stay and deal with that. They needed a time out lol.
  2. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

On PC, we can type while KO'd by hitting '/'; not sure if PS has a similar option or the same option. '/' is how we type in our commands for the chat line.
  3. WEAP0N XW0LVERINE New Player

I'll have to try it the next time I'm dropped. Thx
  4. Saami Loyal Player

First time i hear that.
    Thank you very much.
    • Like x 2
  5. Cable Girl Active Player

I pugged heaps when I first returned and did have a few 3/4 league member runs and had no issues with them.

Must be my wonderful luck... All my luck goes to finding decent players and not getting gear.

Although i would prefer a pleasant experience with meh gear than a bad experience and getting gear.
    • Like x 3
  6. Tank 4 life New Player

I hate when I'm in a group and someone one does not have a mic and goes down. It is hard to know if they are down that's y I recommend buy a mic. That will save u problems. Also the members did not seem to Blame you for stuff going wrong but like they seem mad you not have mic and they are wrong to be mad. They knew when they picked you up to group up you had no mic.
  7. ErnieB Loyal Player

lol I always wondered how the hell people kept talking after getting KO, thought it was lag that would let them used the window before the KO hit them, thx for the info.
    • Like x 1
  8. Delta795 New Player

If it was one person ranting at you then that's not a mob mentality... Not saying they were right or wrong.

Also, get a mic. I hate when you are running content and someone in the group can't or won't communicate.
    • Like x 2
  9. MetalMario Loyal Player

No I haven't noticed this at all; if anything it's the opposite. Usually I hold people in my league to higher standards and get annoyed at them even if it's the odd person's fault something goes wrong.
  10. Schimaera Devoted Player

As part of a league that fills group with "randoms" I can say: Never happened. "We" blame them if they
    - do something stupid (Kalibak aura)
    - do not what they're ment to do (solo healer/tank)
    - keep dying for stupid reasons by not paying attention to the fight (again Kalibak aura, not blocking in L&W, Desintegration Fields, Kraze, Deadly Beams, and many other things)

However, we rarely kicked a "random" out of our group or insulted one. We don't even shout CR requirements when we decide to take somebody with us.

So long story short: Things you mentioned only occur when the 'main group' in a PUG consists of bad people without decency.

Btw rage quitting on your end wasn't the most social move either. Some people are jerks and talk trash but that doesn't mean you should behave likewise. Just give a darn about idiots already ;) It's the kind of advice I'd give to everyone.
  11. Malachyte Devoted Player

I have a mic and don't use 99% of the time when I pug for that reason.

My typical response to people like that is to say "I have a mic, I just don't use it to speak to idiots as yourself"

Then I usually leave the instance...
    • Like x 1
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

Really? Didn't know that. What's "/" on a QWERTZ keyboard then? Neither Shift+7 nor NUM / work.
    What does is opening the inventory. There I'm able to type something in chat. Maybe that works for consoles, too?
  13. DCUController New Player

I dont have a mic yet

and Im still on PS3, but I try my best to communicate to ppl in the group chat, I agree I've been the odd-man out in many cases and usually get the boot if the group wipes rather its because its something 1 of them has done or I did lol

usually its not me as I know what to do in all the alerts, duo's, Necropolis and Artifacts

now if I run LD or L&W sure I will seem "noobish" but its only b/c I haven't had much experience in either :p
  14. King Felsa New Player

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's not mob mentality. Mob mentality is when a group of people perform a specific action or carry a certain view, and others decide to join in that behavior as to not feel like an outcast. Your example is more-or-less a form of discrimination, against non-leaguemates/friends.

In your example, a better example of mob mentality would have been you agreeing with the league that it was your fault, and hope that they don't kick you.
    • Like x 1
  15. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Sorry but I find having a mic makes the game more enjoyable....I have not one but four mics just in case one dies and one did the other day...I'm not about to leave my group hanging due to me not having a mic...
  16. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Sorry, but it isn't one player's fault for not having a mic in my opinion...

When I can't get a pickup, I call out "Playername's down" or "Someone's down" (if I don't know the name)
    That way whoever's close can do the pickup.

If a player goes down and no one notices, then the others aren't playing as a team, imo...

Second note: As a member of a villain league, I will add that when we queue for pvp and hear amanda waller, we always ask, "I wonder who the hero is?" just to open a dialog and get the "guest" talking...
    It really gets fun sometimes if we get a random hero who we've fought against in the last few matches!
    • Like x 3
  17. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

Discrimination at its finest...

And as Stranger said, if no one notices someone's down, it's probably better to leave the instance cause a group who can't take 2 seconds to break contact and check the player names isn't a good one in my book. Like I run dps lately and I usually end up checking the names more than I should, so I don't care if I'm dropping damage or helping to split incoming damage to get an ally up (though I have no shields to be attempting pick ups, heh).

But don't let it bother you too much, there's just crap groups you'll end up in at some point in the day.
    • Like x 2
  18. StarshipAwesome Well-Known Player

When I've come across situations like that, only once was it ever a group thing. Outside of that, it was individuals that would blame me for stuff.
    • Like x 1
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I run a lot IN one of those leagues that ends up with 3 people and an odd man out in an alert. I won't yell at you until you **** up - heaven help you if you do though. I'm also not above telling my own league members 'hey you need to do this' in the middle of an alert either.

Normally we're pretty nice to whoever we're running with though, league or not - it can get a little rough when a few of us are hammered running instances, heh, but we try to be cool with people - if they're our members or not.
  20. Omega Boy Committed Player

Some people can be jerks. It's not exclusive to leagues or pugs or heroes or anything. While these guys may have proven you correct, you totally prejudged them based on the fact that they were in a league together. Self fulfilling prophecy?