UPDATE: SoE 'Player Studio' program for player designed marketplace items

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TKMcClone, Nov 17, 2014.

1. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I created a thread about this over a year ago and we recently got a little more information from Rick Reynolds (Player Studio Crew) when he replied to my live stream question:

It's right in the first 2 minutes of the stream

[IMG]

This was the Mepps-fficial answer back in Oct 2013

I wanted to get this info into the hands of the community in case players where interesting in pushing forward
    base items or gear designs.

I'd say post them in this thread and maybe Mepps can give us some more guidance.

• Like x 3
  2. EPICQ New Player

Kinda._._.No, wait, it is impossible for us at DCUO because of the power behind DCUO, we can't change What's already in the comic books etc.
    • Like x 1
  3. DialH New Player

Thanks for posting this thread!

DId the video remind anyone else of this...?

• Like x 1
  4. Trexlight Devoted Player

Good man! This will also allow SOE to see the ideas the Community will come up with and possibly present it to Warner Bros saying "Hey, this is the kind of stuff these people can make."
    • Like x 2
  5. King Felsa New Player

I feel like the only way DC would allow this is if non-IP related items are allowed. For example, you can't design anything with a lantern corp logo, but you could make lamps and chairs and computer systems.
    • Like x 1
  6. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Which is cool - 99% of the gear is 'inspired by' a DC character or comic. It's rare that the Devs use an actual logo... if you keep 'specific' logos of it's pretty hard to violate the IP rights.
  7. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Great Ideal.
    • Like x 1
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I REALLY want this to come to DCUO. Not gear, though. Gear would be too complex due to body sizes and genders on top of potential issues with copyright and other nonsense.

Base items, on the other hand, would be a fantastic idea. "1 size fits all" in the sense that a TV doesn't need a male/female version of it nor does it need to fit several different body styles and not collide with any other styles.

Keep pushing hard for base items player studio. It has my full support.

#InteriorWaterFeature
    • Like x 2
  9. Baby Sister Committed Player

I want hair bow and dress !!!! Please thanks
    • Like x 3
  10. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I am Mr Drifting Dream and I support this campaign message!
    • Like x 1
  11. Radium Devoted Player

Custom made base items would make a damn fortune.
    • Like x 2
  12. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I think SoE would need to make the models for body style types available for download if it were to happen. Granted it would require player-designers to do all the versions. I do agree, base items would be the best place to start.
    • Like x 1
  13. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I am requesting a Coiled Garden Hose (you know, the green kind) for my base please :D
    • Like x 1
  14. Radiohead New Player

15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Perhaps what might work best in terms of gear is if the developers released only a limited amount of easily customisable items that already exist in the game and have been tested for collision problems and all that sort of thing and merely offer the players the opportunity to design their own textures rather than giving them the creative freedom to build actual models with may clip other pieces of gear/infringe on copyright etc.

The sort of thing I'm thinking about here is like:

- The hoodie
    - A generic cape
    - A generic wrestling mask
    - Generic flex suits

That have all been modelled already and all the player has to do is create a new texture/design for them.

But base items... base items are free reign to do with as you wish. Just set the polygon limit, file sizes, dimensions etc. and let the creativity loose. My mind is already going crazy with ideas.
    • Like x 1