Do we need a big pop up on the screen when a group member dies?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by rival exe, Oct 19, 2014.

1. JReel New Player

Yep Lockdown is the best example. When that ugly creature does the whole leaping AoE attack you can't revive them at all even with a shield. Those bosses it is a lot harder to pull aggro on them consistently. It doesn't help you have engineers putting people in jail and adds just one shotting the nearest player.
  2. rival exe New Player

Yeah that's understandable. I should have clarified. I'm talking about people who respond like they didn't even know someone died, especially those who were right next to the dead person...and all they do is continue to concentrate on the boss/trolling/healing.
    • Like x 1
  3. Crimson Jonni New Player

I wouldve been all for a giant hand popping out of a screen to slap the sh*t out of that dps who is 2 feet away from you yet continues to spam his slow as hell dual wield weapon mastery combo. The 3 seconds it takes to pick someone up is not like its going to cause the raid to instantly slow down, relax.

Thats just me though >_>
    I see it happen way too many times, maybe we can get a voice over like " TROOPER DOWN GET HIM BACK UP"
  4. KidMidnight Loyal Player

point is there are a lot of inexperienced players running through t6. ones that dont get the basics yet.
  5. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

Not to continue making excuses for people, but I feel the need to point out that solo healers shouldn't be picking anyone up. I say "I'm solo healing here, I have someone down under me and can't get them." I've never been questioned on that. People usually know exactly where their healer is, and it's very likely the person'll be picked up.

• Trolls are usually on pickup duty because they have strong shields that will stop them from getting interrupted while turning the cog, and people can go a little while with just power over time.
    • Tanks need to adjust positioning pull, and aggro the area so people can safely pick up a downed player. So, generally, if someone goes down under them, they should move away rather than trying to pick up. Or, particularly with ice, they can call out that they got the person that went down under them ... get the person, move, and then let them know when it's okay to get up.
    • DPS should generally try to get the downed player, but back off if someone with a personal shield is on the way. They should all switch focus to whatever knocked out that player, particularly to make it safer for the person picking them up.
    • Like x 2
  6. rival exe New Player

No, thanks to the app I've noticed a lot of the pugs I run with are running with 150+ SP, and these are still the kinds of people who don't pick dead people up. Unless now we're saying SP != experience?

I still pick people up if I can as a solo healer. It helps to pop a group shield, healing over time, or super charge or if the group is good about not getting hit too often.
    • Like x 2
  7. rival exe New Player

Yeah maybe bring in Mark Hammil to voice Joker to say something when someone goes down or something like "Ha! Scrub!!" when he's out of the match for good. Or they can play the baby Mario cry from Yoshi's Island until someone gets picked up.
  8. Liongale Dedicated Player

How about a sound effect? Something crunchy.
    • Like x 3
  9. Minnion Devoted Player

Well what if there was some kind of audio cue to let you know when someone has fallen?(Like a scream or Oracle/Calculator popping up on your radar circle to let the closest player know that someone just got KOed.)
    • Like x 1
  10. Senshirou Committed Player

People are just blind to everything other than how their toon is doing and even that's a stretch since people don't even need to run a soder of their life or power is low. Sad I know. With this community tho I don't think that will ever change.
    • Like x 1
  11. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

If someone yells at you for picking someone up because you're a DPS and you need to burn, then they're stupid. (Unless necro speed feat maybe). If the tank is doing his a job, a DPS should have no problem picking anyone up unless there's an aoe down like in LD, then a troll has to do it.
    • Like x 1
  12. Treskar Committed Player

A. pop up bad... always... on websites.. in a game... your mother in law popping up outta know where... BIZZARO SAY POP UP GOOD!!!!!

B. The reason is because drawing back the camera to survey the entire scene of a fight causes FPS to Lower so many people fight closer in. This is an ACTION MMO.. not a top down like diablo or Ultima online or magicka or games of that nature where the game is more oriented on oooo pretty colors.

C. Maybe you do not grasp some of us play on 24" monitors some on 40 and maybe theres ones out there on a 90. The minimap is to small or yes tunnel vision. Adding more to a screen is like if I was wanting to play Microsoft excel instead of a video game. They have hardcore mode too where you cannot even see jack.

I gotcha you need a better way to know who is down yet that is one thing maybe people want to happen. Hereos/villains die. SO be it.
    • Like x 1
  13. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Most people in DCUO only play DPS.

And most DPSes pretty much only focus on their character and aren't aware of anything else going on around them. Someone mentioned tunnel vision.... which is pretty much spot on to describe most DPSes.

Ironically as was mentioned.... often that veterants with 160+ SP are the worst offenders.

It is as if they learned eons ago that DPSes do NOT pick up players.... and now they are dead set against picking up anyone thinking it is not their job.

Even if you tell then that SuperBob has fallen and that he is RIGHT NEXT to them..... they will still not pick him up and insist that someone else has to do it.

So I strongly doubt that having a "warning" that someone is down would make a difference.
  14. JReel New Player

With the T6 raids getting aggro on the bosses and adds is tough to do and is rare. You can pull the adds in Necro easily but artifacts and LD is another story. Not to mention once again the DPS are primarily the main targets behind the tank due to their aggro and damage clipping. I have seen plenty of DPS attempt to pick up players and failed because the healers did not have a supercharge up or the DPS lacked a shield to use. They were telling me NOT to pick anyone up because the healers and trolls had it covered as it should be.
    • Like x 1
  15. JReel New Player

The 160+ sp guys are the worst lmao. Always worried about out DPSing someone else. Who cares what good is high damage when you can't stay alive to finish the raid.
    • Like x 2
  16. Proto1118 Committed Player

Not to sound like a jerk but that's idiotic. It should not be the healer's job to pick up people. Who is else is going to heal when the healer is doing the pick ups? Since every instance now only wants a solo healer, pick ups should be last for a healer's priority. DPSs can stop the "burn" for a few seconds. Trollers are great for pick up but if the are always picking up people, then the group isn't getting power. The group can live with the damage not being given out.
    And yes I agree with the last part of your post. Whoever is closest should do the pick up.
    • Like x 1
  17. That guy New Player

It would be cool if we had some kind of a more obvious 'indicator' that someone is down, like having their whole block on the left side crossed out in red, something that catches your attention but doesn't obscure the view.
  18. Ikyotojin Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  19. RoxyStormbringer Dedicated Player

No, we don't need a pop-up. What we need are group members that either A) pay attention to their screens (all info on them) or B) members communicate that they are down, their location, and who is picking them up. People should not expect Healers to Solo Heal AND Pick People Up at the same time, it doesn't work to well at times. The community has to do better working as a team and stop focusing on just themselves.
  20. WhiteCollarKiller Well-Known Player

Teamplayers will ALWAYS have an eye on the rest of the team. Egoists will ALWAYS go only for their own stats. Pop-ups or sound effects won't change much. Worst case I ever experienced was T5 Duo "Tunnel of Lust". I was in the lead (statistically). Jacob chose to stun me. My "partner" stood at the side and watched me die. After this happened, he of course didn't mind to pick me up, but finished the almost dead boss on his own ... and left.