Are Skill Points a little bit overrated?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Ynashimitsu, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Ynashimitsu New Player

Today I had an argument with another person playing in DCUO, we were arguing after a duo we did together, because I broke something and because of that he wouldn't be getting the feat. The funny thing is he didn't tell me not to break it until I did... and by accident. Anyways he was spamming insults and asking me how many skill points I had. I told him... 60. And he was spamming ''LOL'' and ''hahaha'', he said ''I've got 122 sp'' so I told him we could duel to settle this. And so we did, both as dps in full 90 PVP dps gear, and he had all sockets filled with white mods, including that 60% damage one. Still I beat him, 3 times in a row. I then told him his sp are overrated and he logged off, probably heating. Now I ask this question and share this story just to know if sp are really overrated, because from this experience they seem to be, but you might have some other experiences, facts, numbers... I'm pretty much in doubt if I should go farm sp now, because I was feeling like farming them after plenty of people told me I have low sp for a cr 106, and I agree, I've seen people with way more than me at cr 70, I just don't farm a lot... I am that type of person who gets gears and mods them intead of farming for marks. Except my PVP gear, which I had to farm for.
    • Like x 1
  2. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Skill > Skill Points.
    They do make a difference but superior skill negates it.
    Also you need to have a bit more SP at Cr 106.
    Rule of thumb your SP needs to be higher then your CR
    • Like x 4
  3. Magnificent Loyal Player

For you to beat him so handily so many times with similar gear but such a huge disparity in SP, he must have sucked b@lls at PVP, had his SP slotted poorly or both. I call those people "fodder" ;)
    • Like x 3
  4. Master Play Committed Player

+1
    • Like x 1
  5. JonnyD New Player

Skill + Skill Points > Skill :D
    Superbad/No Skill + SP < Skill + low SP

I'd recommend working on your SP when you actually have a formidable opponent. It is a good edge.
    • Like x 2
  6. Sabigya Steadfast Player

1 + 1 > 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Abisial Committed Player

Trust me skill points matter. Having Only 1 WM at T6 is cutting down on your possible damage also your Crit chance and magnitudes are VERY important
    • Like x 3
  8. Burnt New Player

Skull + skill = broken skull
    • Like x 1
  9. JonnyD New Player

2 + 2 > 2!
    full cup > half cup
    :rolleyes: hitting with a unix book > hitting with a pilow

LOL
    • Like x 2
  10. Ynashimitsu New Player

I guess you guys are right, maybe he just sucked lol, If PS4 records our gameplays I'll get the clips and bring them here for you all to analyze, in our first fight I almost lost, but in the other two I had two easy wins.
  11. MARK2099 New Player

You just were better, if you really want to see how much sp help in overall performance try to compare 2 similar skilled players one with 60 sp other with more than 120, not just random players.
  12. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

I don't think sp are that important, but I wanna know how are you 90 pvp cr and 106 pve cr with only 60sp? That seem impossible.
  13. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

Skill + High sp = OP
    • Like x 1
  14. savageprime New Player

Ypu fought a horrible player. The damage ypur putting out in a t6 raid will be the equivalent of a damage troll, which as a dpd is bad and your not actually contributing anything to a group. SP is no way form overrated.

In pvp yes they play a part but not as much due to fighting mechanics.
    • Like x 1
  15. Drathmor Unwavering Player

first of dont mind that dude he was a ****** but SP are important in this game and there are people who will discriminate against you for not having a ton so just be warned but they are not the end all be all of a good player it just shows you have put in the work and are usually better skilled due to time played but dont underestimate their value because they do make a significant difference in your numbers in all roles
  16. Mageara Well-Known Player

I agree with what most people are saying. Skill will most of the time triumph over SP, but you will get you a** busted against anyone of equal skill and "adequate" sp. 106 cr with 60 sp tells me you're not experience with the game itself. You might be good with your role/power but I would think you still wouldnt be skilled enough to handle advanced content mechanics (dox EO without dying all over the place, lockdown feats, over all survivability). To me and to many other players having 130+ sp shows you've played a decent amount of the content to know how to handle difficult content. However, I also know a decent percent of the population doesnt play to be competitive or anything like that so I say if you enjoy the game as you are right now, just roll with it. However, if you're a scoreboard chaser or just generally competitive you will need a whole lot more sp.
  17. LeagueOfV Dedicated Player

For PVP the fighting mechanics are most important. I took a 2+ month break from PVP, and was fighting like PVE my first legends match back. I fell behind by about 300 after 2 KOs before I got back into the block, bb, lunge mindset. I ended up winning about 100 to 0 I think. I have a hard time doing PVP on my own hero because I'm so conditioned to spam WM range with my powers. I need to practice with a better melee weapon (I use bow) for the new PVP season.

Even my kids know the PVP mechanics. I got a phone call during a match one time so I gave the controller to my son who was watching me play. He ended up winning the match for me ;)