Munitions = Gadgets 2.0

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Proxystar, Aug 15, 2014.

1. CanopicJar Well-Known Player

It's like you read my mind.
    • Like x 1
  2. Impulsively Committed Player

Personally, I do think that Munitions is kind of a lackluster power idea as opposed to some other suggestions I've seen. However, I'm not ready to dismiss the idea as a stupid or unnecessary one. I definitely don't see it as a Gadgets 2.0.

How many guns do Gadget characters use in their powersets? One - the Suppressor Turret (and that thing is a pet that uses guns rather than a gun itself). Gadgets don't use any sort of assault weapons to carry out their Controller responsibilities or even DPS ones. The closest thing to it would be the Photon Blast I guess, but it sort of comes out of your hand rather than a gun.

I like the analogy some posters have made already of Iron Man and War Machine. Iron Man doesn't use gadgets, he uses live ammunition and lasers that are packed into a robotic suit. The Gadget powerset doesn't use anything close to his arsenal other than maybe the Napalm Grenade but that's one power. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs pull that one from Gadgets, replace it with another ability, and stick it with Munitions to silence the haters. With that out of the way, there wouldn't be a single valid argument that Gadgets covers everything a Munitions powerset would.
    • Like x 2
  3. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

First thing I thought of hearing about Munitions and it being control power is... expanding current power sets with a 3rd tree to spec in starting with Gadgets.
    • Like x 2
  4. TECHNOCALYPSE81 New Player

Magic and meta based powers have multiple powertypes where tech only has gadgets. This is the answer to those players who want to see another tech based power set. It also adds an element of balance to the game.
    • Like x 2
  5. TECHNOCALYPSE81 New Player

Hell yeah you preach it brother!
  6. TECHNOCALYPSE81 New Player

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  7. SuperiorMouse New Player

i have to add my support for the disinterest in this powerset.

not only is it conceptually very similar to Gadgets, but it's also a controller role powerset. adding something so conceptually similar would be more appealing if the dev team had at least chosen to make it either healer or tank. that said, i'm also conceptually very disinterested in this powerset because of it being based in a non-superhero comic character like Sgt. Rock who doesn't (afaik -- but i may be wrong) interact with the superhero universe and continuity of the DCU. if the devs wanted us to play with rocket launchers and machine guns they could and should more easily add these to "Rifle" and "Dual Pistols" as weapon skins.

in the many discussions regarding new powersets i've definitely seen requests for a heavy artillery powerset like this. there is no doubt of that, however being honest, it is an extreme niche or small group of players who have expressed interest in this. and considering gadgets is about using weapons to blow stuff up, aside from making more impressive explosion vfx, there isn't much more that would differentiate this powerset from Gadgets.

i would much rather development focus on powers that would make a larger amount of players happy. the physical powerset, atomic, water and shadows/darkness are the remaining most requested powersets in the player community and it is disappointing to see water or darkness not be covered in favour of a powerset like this.

that said, please understand that i'm sure the devs will make the powerset superficially distinct enough to avoid critical comparisons to Gadgets. and i have no animosity to adding a powerset like this in general, but my disappointment is levied behind the belief that it should only be added after more "deserving" powers have been added first and it should be a healer powerset instead of a controller powerset while Atomic should be a controller powerset.
    • Like x 1
  8. Feenicks New Player

Is Rage - Hard Light 2.0?
    Is Celestial - Sorcery 2.0?
    Is Atomic - Fire 2.0?
    Is Quantum - Mental 2.0?
    • Like x 5
  9. Dom-Eon Dedicated Player

If munitions allows me to perform a rocket jump, it'll be just fine with me.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 8
  10. TECHNOCALYPSE81 New Player

Very true otherwise Batman, Joker or Deathstroak wouldn't exist.
    • Like x 3
  11. SuperiorMouse New Player

thank god the devs had the foresight to include Gadgets to cover these characters. :)
    • Like x 1
  12. TECHNOCALYPSE81 New Player

I know, right? With Munitions being added we can cover characters like Cyborg and Blue Beetle and finally get a second tech based power.
    • Like x 4
  13. SuperiorMouse New Player

white noise cannon and vortex cannon? those are high tech Gadgets weapons. one is even in currently in the Gadgets powerset. Gadgets is directly inspired by Batman (obviously) and those characters secondarily.
  14. tukuan Devoted Player

This sounds like the same Celestial is just Sorcery or Rage is just Light comments that came out when those powers were leaked/announced until there was more information.

I'll wait for more information.
    • Like x 3
  15. Archangel Rafael New Player

The white-noise canon is a direct take from Cyborg.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 4
  16. rival exe New Player

If they made a powerset off of blue beetle instead of GI Joe it would make more sense..
    • Like x 1
  17. Crimson Jonni New Player

Actually did you know that power rings are tech weapons? I didnt realize it but it turns out they are. Except they're alien tech, but tech nonetheless, explaining why they dont fall under magic or meta. Also certain character's bios such as Hal Jordan or Guy Gardner show that their powers are Light/Tech. In a sense we would have Gadgets/Munitions/Light/Rage/Experimental Serums as Tech powersets while Atomic/Fire/Earth/Ice/electric/nature tend to fall under meta whilst Sorcery/Celestial/Electric could fall under magical

Being technical aside, Munitions may be our true first military tech Power set which is awesome. I should make a toon name Mike Bayy. Explosions.
  18. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Figured I'd throw the power descriptions up from SOE Live for people to check:

Munitions:
    Inspired by Sgt Rock

-Controller/Damage
    -Explosions
    -Conventional Weapons
    -Blow...Stuff...UP!
    -Run & Gun style (mobility)

Atomic:
    Inspired by firestorm....kinda

-Healer/Damage
    -Molecular Manipulation
    -Regeneration
    -Radiation Mechanics (TBD)
    -Chain Reactions (TBD)

Experimental Serums
    Inspired by Bane

-Tank/Damage
    -Physical
    -Grappling
    -Inject Serums
    -Mixtures (Power Interactions)
    • Like x 1
  19. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Water is ice .5 or hard water/ soft water.lol
  20. SpadeofSlade's Active Player

From a cosmetic/style perspective I can see why Munitions works, it makes more sense for people trying to create characters based off of villains like Deathstroke or Red Hood. Gadgets don't really apply quite so well to these types (Well, Red Hood maybe, Deathstroke no) besides it does also come down to how it works in terms of functionality, not just aesthetic. So for now I'm not going to be too much of a critic about it, wait and see I guess.
    • Like x 1