League Hall: Security Breach - Mantis

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Purple_Haze, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Purple_Haze Level 30

I'm officially posting to say that I'm going to be boycotting this Alert by not doing it again until the devs change the mechanic. This is by far the worst fight I have ever seen in this game! I don't see how anyone could have thought this was at all clever or smart to integrate this strategy into a DCUO boss battle.
    • Nullifier doesn't hold its charge for nearly long enough. Nor is the energy field large enough.
    • The charge pads are simply too far from one another.
    • Running with the Nullifer and getting knocked down while bringing it back, by the time you place it by him, he's begun to suck the power out of it and needs to be recharged.
    • Mantis being able to kick the Nullifer away is unacceptable! Worst idea ever.
    • Mantis has too much health. I would say it should be cut in half, but I'd be satisfied with a third. No boss fight should last for 30+ minutes!
    As I said, I'm refusing to do this Alert again until this fight mechanic is changed. I hope there are enough people who agree with one or more of these points...chances are I'm going to be called a noob and told to cry more, but I'm serious about this. After spending upwards of an hour doing the rest of it, only to fail with Mantis after getting him to within an inch of his life, is infuriating.
    • Like x 5
  2. Notangie New Player

They'll definitely change it now. Fight the powah. I watched my spouse do it, it was less tedious with a better group. Join a league.
    • Like x 2
  3. Solmes202 Loyal Player

I find it fairly interesting but not difficult. Not every boss in the game can be tank and spank. We had our I pec tank actually hold the nullifier. Mantis chased him all over trying to get it. Very funny! When the charge went down the Troller grabbed it and recharged it, gave it back to ice boy and the whole thing took five minutes.
  4. ThermoFist New Player

The mechanics are unbalanced. Boss fights are designed to be difficult. If they are too difficult--and, therefore not fun--the incentive to play the game is diminished. I suggest we--"we" being the game developers--try to strike a better balance of difficulty and enjoyment. A little less hard core, guys.
    • Like x 1
  5. GregDawe New Player

It's fine.
    Stop whinging.
    Just cos you can't use 4dps and win in 5mins, doesn't mean there needs to be change.
    We found the best way was 1 heal, 2 dps, 1 troll, 1 dps aggro and attacks, the other uses the Nillifier.

You obviously need to re-strategise.

Nothing is broken, just your tactics are not quite up to standards.
  6. Punchy New Player

It's not a bad fight... if you pass it the first time... But if you die and have to restart from the beginning, then have to take another half hour of running around with the nullifier? I don't usually have 2 hours to spend trying to scrape up that last mark...
    • Like x 3
  7. Ice Lantern New Player

1) The effect of the nullifier lasts some time after it has been discharged.
    2) The tank can hold it and pop immunities to reduce his ability to kick it away.
    3) If you tank him in a corner, there is a good change he will kick it into it and thus still close enough to nullify his shield.
    4) He does have a lot of health. I only say that because I find the fight WAY too easy and thus boring. I guess that simply isn't the case for you.
    5) Get better DPS. If the boss fight is 30+ minutes without wipes then it means your DPS needs to consider only playing support roles because clearly DPSing isn't his wheelhouse.
    • Like x 7
  8. Solmes202 Loyal Player

It's just not that hard. Took my initial group a few minutes to figure out the mechanics so the first run was ninety minutes. Now , two days in, we are already getting through in 45 minutes. What's the over under on beating a half hour by next week?
  9. Ice Lantern New Player

If the fight is taking half an hour then it's not the alert that's the problem.
    • Like x 3
  10. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

Is this DLC going to run players off like Origin Crisis too?
    • Like x 2
  11. Purple_Haze Level 30

I'm not running anywhere. I actually enjoy this DLC. It's simply that ONE fight. Unfortunately, it's the final fight of what is generally a fun alert. I'm just not going to waste my time doing an alert that has a greater-than-average risk of not finishing after committing more than an hour to it.
    • Like x 1
  12. Avian Dedicated Player

I always have the tank pul him to a corner and have whoever is carrying theshield nulifier put it into the corner so whenever he kicks it it will basically just stay where it is and just recharge it and put it the same place again. Seems your problem is that you just don't try to think of possible ways to make it easier for yourself.
    • Like x 1
  13. Rhinosus13 Loyal Player

Its day 2-ish on the dlc, full 94 gear? prob not so of course its going to be hard to start with, my league has 2-3 pieces of 94 gear each and get both alerts done in an hour with 1 tank, 2 dps, 1 troll setup (our league lacks healers), you need to learn what works for you
  14. Raeket Level 30

Mantis needs a nerf and not cause its hard but cause its so repetetive, from a healer point of view its like healing someone fighting against a sparring target. Im sitting on full power pretty much all the time and i would say there is next to no chance of anyone dying, unless they lagg out in the fire. Would be ok with the amount of HP if he had different phases, but as it is now if you can take him down to 95% you seen the whole fight with the exception of the fire in the end. And the reaction of killing him is not "hell yeah we did it" its more like "thank god thats over"
    • Like x 2
  15. Blue Spectrex New Player

The tank can lunge Mantis before he gets a chance to drain the nullifier, he has to be quick though because it doesn't take long.
  16. Stamen Dedicated Player

I agree that the health pool is high and it wouldn't bother me much for it to be lowered some, but I do LOVE the fact that this fight is good way to let really terrible DPS know how bad they are.

There are some really, really, really terrible DPS in this game. That fight with Mantis makes them stand out like a sore thumb.
  17. FESTER665 Devoted Player

They're already tweaking it and we should see the changes in the next update......

Read the posts from the SOE employees by using the SOE post tracker tab at the top.
    • Like x 1
  18. Archangel Rafael New Player

There are not. If you had taken the time to read before posting, you would see A) no one wants Mantis Nerfed, B) There are 3 or more good guides here already to explain how to defeat Mantis
  19. Proto1118 Committed Player

I'm fine with the fight except the high health. I don't like this trend of bosses with "a billion" HP. With the exception of the game waiting for you to fall asleep so you can make a mistake, there's nothing challenging about it.
  20. Minarum New Player

Origin Crisis ran players off? Guess too many people can't accept a challenge I guess even though this dlc is sort of lacking it except in the feats.

This alert is the only bad thing about this dlc. Not because of this fight or high hp or any of that. But because it's the most basic, and boring one of them all. First 10minutes is closing the boom tubes... I was bored and disappointed. Other than that, the boss' hp isn't too high, the fights are cake walk. I enjoyed the final fight, but learning the easy way of doing it springs no challenge....