DC Universe Online 2

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Fatal Star, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I would agree that instead of starting again they should just improve upon what they have. Like you say, WOW doesn't have multiple versions. Only a massive version which has been continuously built upon.

The difference between WOW and DCUO is that WOW is built on a proprietary engine that was created by Blizzard with the soul intention of running an MMO on it. That means that they can continuously change aspects of the engine to suit the ever changing environment. DCUO is built on the Unreal 3 engine which evolved from earlier incarnations of an engine designed to run First Person Shooter games on it. It was never designed with the intention of hosting MMORPG games on it. With it being proprietary, they're extremely limited in what they can do to it and I don't believe they can change the core aspects of it.

This is why a sequel is also needed. DCUO was built on a heavily modified version of the Unreal 3 engine. So even upgrading to the new Unreal 4 engine would require a substantial amount of work because of the modifications needed to make it MMO ready. A better solution would be to use an engine designed for MMOs built by SOE. SOE's custom built MMO engine is the Forge Light engine which is what Planetside 2 runs on and in terms of stability in my experience playing it, it's vastly superior in every way to the DCUO Unreal 3 engine. Then as time goes on, improvements could be made to the core engine to support new tech and features which means that the developers don't need to change the engine again after creating DCUO2.

Ideally, if money was no object, they would start again with a sequel continuing on from where we leave the game after Halls of Power 3. Perhaps Darksied does something which flattens the cities of the World or maybe the War of the Light storyline leads to the destruction of Metropolis and Amazon Fury leads to the destruction of Gotham City. I don't know. The storyline would explain why the Gotham City/Metropolis in DCUO2 is different from DCUO as a bigger, more vibrant city would be possible on a better engine.
  2. JonnyD New Player

PS3...(lol yes, I went there)
    So when I'm retired in an nursing home with great internet access? Something to look for in my old age, for sure.
    • Like x 1
  3. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This isn't true. Not entirely anyway. If the developers discontinued the PS3 version today, the game would remain exactly the same as it is right now. The graphics wouldn't suddenly improve or anything like that. Everything would have to be rebuilt. Higher resolution models created. Better detailed textures created and so much more. Basically, they'd have to spend a lot of time creating everything again.

We'd still have that awful and irrelevant 1-30 levelling phase to work through, too, which offers nothing in terms of how the game actually is post-level 30 and feels very much tacked on due to the dramatic change in direction the game took from it's concept phase. Although the game is very stable on PC and PS4, any problems that exist now would exist after the PS3 is discontinued.

Theoretically, if the PS3 support ceased, they could go all out and make more detailed future content, but the art styles and consistency wouldn't match at all and it'd feel very much like a patch work game of different qualities. Go and run the Metropolis City Hall levelling instance and pay particular attention to how much more detailed Sinestro is because of DLC9's improvements to his model compared to the fodder Lanterns that surround him. Low resolution textures and badly aliased Lantern symbols. This is basically what the entire game would look like if they discontinued PS3 support and began producing higher quality models and environments exclusively for PS4/PC.
  4. Arcpope New Player

Blah i hope your wrong.
  5. Arcpope New Player

Ps3 is holding back this game,period.
    I wonder how many f2p are on the ps4? It shouldnt be considered dcuo2, more like and expansion. Updated UI, new class would be cool.

Seriously though what are the ps3 users waiting for, the system is 10 years old.

Anyone with a ps3 should have no opinion in the matter.
  6. Drathmor Unwavering Player

no reason for a new game all they need to do is separate the servers and my prediction is it will be around January of next year as that will give everyone two Christmases to update their systems at that point PS3 can still get new features just a dumbed down version of newer content until the point it is dropped completely in a few years
  7. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

They have also stated that the current UI (User Interface) design isn't the most efficient in terms of memory management. They can squeeze way more memory efficiency in the PS3 console if they revamp the UI for a more simpler one in terms of logical complexity of the code.

Since we (the players), have been requesting more content, they have delayed the UI Revamp and the Mobile App. I'm pretty sure we'll see a UI Revamp in a not so distant future and that will lead to the possibility of adding new powers, features, etc. Also a UI Revamp will mean for better performance in the PS4 and PC environments.
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

That means double the work load to produce superior and inferior quality content.

Darkseid for example. A high resolution Darkseid model for the PS4/PC version would need to be created, then a low resolution PS3 version created, too. Then there's the cost of running 2 different servers in addition to the PC server which is more cost. All costs which could be put towards developing a brand new game taking the best of DCUO and expanding upon the ideas behind the best parts.
  9. Drathmor Unwavering Player

not really they can easily drop the graphics on PS3 back to original to release some memory and its far easier to scale down graphics than to scale them up. but dont worry they will separate them its only a matter of time as the PS3 barley has room for one more power set as is.
  10. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

I'll prefer for a UI Revamp that will allow the devs to Squeeze more memory out of the PS3 console since the PS3 players are more than the PS4.

This is what I'm talking about:
  11. DSug176 New Player

I'm still on PS3 because I simply cannot afford to get a PS4 for the foreseeable future. If I had a few extra hundred dollars lying around, I would definitely go out and get one today. I've always been the kind of person who needs to wait at least 2 or 3 years before I'm able to buy the latest system. That being said, even I have to admit that the PS3 is holding the game back, unfortunately. It takes about a full minute for anything to render in a huge open area, especially since they added Downtown Metropolis Battlezone and Gotham Under Siege. I also strongly believe that that is the main reason why the devs went the DLC trilogy route: to stretch them out as long as possible until the PS3 users have almost fully migrated over to PS4.
  12. GJGBlackDragon Dedicated Player

You are aware that the ps3 players are the greatest number of users and legendary memberships in DCUO?

It has been stated by Spytle that one of the main reasons that they aren't going to drop the ps3 and will support it in the long term is that.

Don't expect SOE to sacrifice their main income stopping the development for the ps3. There are still ways to improve the memory efficiency in that console and squeeze more content out of it.
  13. Burnt New Player

So funny! A new team would change the core gameplay? That's exactly what this team did and made me and many others quit. I would welcome a new game with a new group of devs. These guys totally ruined this game, sent it back to alpha testing phase and people are STILL paying for it lol. WIP should stand for We're Incredibly Perplexed
  14. Arcpope New Player

R
    Um duh .

My point is ps4 is the future. Not ps3.

Even playing world of warcraft on PC ,you had to upgrade your hardware sometimes. And it's lasted what 12 years or so.

This game is becoming stagnant . And people are dropping like flies.(the people who matter anyway ,the paying kind and beta's)

Now it's nothing against people who still are on ps3 because of you financial situation, I'm saying ps3 users should have no say in the future of this game.
    • Like x 1
  15. smoove76 Committed Player

Jeez!!! NOT THIS TOPIC AGAIN!!! THERE WILL BE NO DCUO 2.... PS3 WORKS FINE!!! IT MAY NOT BE GREAT ,BUT AT LEAST IT DOESN'T HAVE LOG IN ISSUES LIKE THE PS4.............. P.S. IN BEFORE THE LOCK
  16. DCUOPoe Level 30

This MMO isn't dictated by the game or game play. It's dictated by business. Them launching into the new = them abandoning the current, which pays their bills. It's possible that they have something akin to a sequel in some stage of development (very very early pre-production). I'd say a good amount of their R&D resources are focused on optimizing the current pipeline they have. It's true that the more new technology is released the more it limits what they can put into this game. It's also true that it makes developing for older technology easier. If the team at Naughty Dog decided to make a Jak & Daxter game for the PS2 today it'd pale to something like The Last of Us on ps3/4... that doesn't mean it wouldn't be among the best PS2 games ever released (and made in probably 1/2 the time or less).

The moment the technology barrier fundamentally hinders the communities enjoyment of the game is the moment they take a longer look at DCUO 2.0. The only people it currently bothers are a very vocal 10% (or less).
    • Like x 1
  17. Derio 15000 Post Club

PS3 users will never come over to the PS4 if they havent already by the end of the year, simply due to ease. Take FFXIV for example who are planning to divide their servers for PS3 and PS4 and PC so that the PS4 players dont have to be limited to content by the end of the year to add a new class.

However DCUO atm does not have the money to do so because they do not have enough legendary subscribers. Hopefully by the end of next year they will have enough legendary members to divide the servers to be able to add new fresh content into the game and block of the PS3 off new content but still support it as planned.

DCUO2 cost too much.
  18. Minnion Devoted Player

Not so sure I like the idea of getting rid of in game chat. I mean you're proposing an MMO that places server limits on the players ability to interact with one another outside of emotes.

So a list of what I'd like to see in DCUO 2

-The ability to carry allies around.(Not all superheros can fly and even in comics it's not unheard of for their allies who can to give them a lift.
    -Two player emotes, It would be cool to be able to give your friend a high five, a double high five, shake hands, or heck even perform a variety of two person dances.
    -Vehicles, yeah yeah I know we have people who can run super-fast and fly, why would we want to drive anywhere.... Well lets just go with the idea that not everyone would want to play a superhero with superpowers. This is still the DCU the game would be set in and many of it's iconic heroes and villains lack actual superpowers. It's only reasonable that some players would want to play an unpowered hero who uses powered armor or his crazy ninja skills to fight super-villains.
    -Lairs, or more specifically lairs with greater customization options than what DCUO has.(Even if only piecing together a set of prefabricated rooms and hallways. after choosing a theme. The PS2 could handle this, I'd expect that the PS4 and beyond to be able to as well.)
    -Interactive lair items, not just the amenities but I'd want to be able to sit in my chairs, or heck when it comes to fighting within our lairs I'd want the option of throwing my furniture at the intruder.
    -Fall damage.(Movement mode abilities and what you land on/in might be able to mitigate if not outright negate the fall damage and players can of course catch falling players saving them from damage.)
    -Movement modes revamped slightly, with physics varying slightly between them:
    1.Acrobatics that work more like Tomb Raiders movement, but with a grapple gun that can stick to pretty-much any non-glass surface.
    2.Super-speed when active should work a lot like you on your skateboard in any number or skateboard games. While in movement physical attacks are performed a lot like the stunts in a Tony Hawk game. You can run on the surface of the water.
    3.Flight- Add in some more areal stunts dive-bombing and even the ability to forcefully pick up enemies.(They can still use breakout.)
    4.Swimming- When underwater you can move as freely as a flying character can above water. You can use your upward momentum to leap a great distance when breaking the surface of the water. Outside of water you're still able to climb up anything an acrobat can climb, but you lack the grapple line and won't be able to climb surfaces that require a rope to climb.
    5.Stunt driving- You are an exceptional driver, your movement is basically the same as it would be if you were playing GTA, except of course in GTA you didn't have to worry so much about an enemy player picking up your car and sticking you up on a roof somewhere like he was Hankock.
    -More interactive world: Just little details like...
    1.Being able to do parallel bar routines off the lampposts if you're an acrobat.
    2.Being able to rip up stop-signs, lamp posts, trees, parking-meters and such to use as a weapon if you have superstrength.
    3.Actually being able to break some windows.(Like the shop windows in open world shops/bars/clubs.)
    -More open world shops to buy lair items and cloths from.
    -More open world PvP events.(Store robberies, bank robberies, hostage rescue, putting out fires, committing arson ect.)
    -Bigger open world cities to explore, basically rebuild Gotham and Metro from the ground up, make them complete with surrounding countryside, expansive sewer systems, airports, working train-cars that you can actually ride in, underwater sections that you can swim through. Shipwrecks, secret underwater lairs, ect.
    -The ability to disarm armed enemies.(In other-words knock the gun or sword out of their hand or whatever... Certain weapon/combat styles are immune to this, like martial arts, hand blasters and brawling....)
    -Power system not too far removed from the one in this game.

Similar to the Nexus of reality idea, what if the Nexus destabilized causing rifts to other worlds to open in the DCUO Universe? Not only allowing us access to instances in the rest of the multiverse, but perhaps even an explanation as to how we "respawn" and an excuse to have timed challenge runs.(You have to make it back before the rift to that world closes trapping you "Forever" For that matter you could actually have moving walk in portals that spawn at random like the Titanic Trenton and such... Giving us a reason to explore the open world. as well as an explanation for any adds that spawn.
    • Like x 2
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

The trouble with DCUO and monetisation is that their offerings are poor. The marketplace is beyond terrible and outside of replay badges, there's no reason to consistently support this game monetarily.

There has been absolutely no new styles added to the game since the marketplace opened. Lair themes have stopped and Weapon Styles are probably the only area they've performed well in.

Amenities are a great move but you can and have been able to obtain them for over a year, in game, for free. They were too late with this one.

Armouries are the perfect marketplace item. Desirable, not necessary but make your life extremely easy and convenient. More items like this should be added. Teleporters are a good step but there are problems already with them including the fact that you can't place them wherever you want in your base and they consume a precious amenity slot despite the company asking for money for us to use them. Fix these flaws and you've got another good product.

Aside from that, all there is to buy is replay badges and convenience items like Exobit finders and repair bots etc. All fine, but not great. Replay badges have a shelf life. You don't need them when you're fully geared up. Sure there'll always be people grinding marks for gear but still.

They'll never make incredible money with DCUO because it's not monetised well enough. The evidence is there in the statement released about the PS4 community being relatively small but providing the most income on the Playstation side of business. Tells me that there are a hell of a lot of PS3 players who simply don't have anything to buy yet the PS4 crowd is full of brand new players who haven't experienced the entire game yet and haven't bought much of the same stuff we've had to choose from for almost 3 years.

It needs completely overhauled but they have commitments to live up to with those players who are lifetime subscribers and those who paid for the game and paid to play it prior to the launch of F2P. Again bringing up my original point in an earlier reply about how a sequel would be more beneficial than an overhaul because of the fact that all commitments made to DCUO would not transfer to DCUO2.

I also believe they should "strike while the iron's hot". Make a move while people actually care about the game. Don't wait until it looks like a decrepit pensioner mid-way through the next generation. Start planning now and stir up a buzz amongst the community.
    • Like x 2
  20. Derio 15000 Post Club

Only problem with that is man-power. Devs dont have the man power to complete all of this while at the same time working on their new DLC packages that they are aiming for while working within the PS3 limits. If this game had come out a year later in 2012. Then they would have held out on the Megaserver and would have been able to put PS4 and PC together and eliminated many problems today.

However now the only real beneficial source of income are replay badges. R&D scanners are more like a 1 time deal because once players buy 1 or 2 they create a route and then no longer need to buy them.

I do agree the game needs an overhaul, especially the marketplace which is clearly lacking. They can add new female clothing styles, mist auras, and if they really wanted money they could get exclusive new hairstyles working and in the marketplace. By them banking on waiting for PS3 users to make the switch is sad.

If the PS3 players of today dont get a PS4 by the beginning of next year saying they are waiting for more games then they will never get one or will get one far too late. With PS4 being roughly 30 percent of entire playerbase and growing, the devs know that if the game doesnt go in the right direction by the end of the year then they will be once again dependent on the PS3 due to PS4 getting more F2P games and a much wider MMOs to choose from.

I love DCUO but they need to capitalize more on the marketplace and one of those items are auras. Selling a standalone exclusive aura at $10 will make them much more revenue than a booster gold bundle.
    • Like x 1