Boss Fight: Concepts

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Bast10n, May 9, 2014.

1. Bast10n Committed Player

The purpose of this thread is to create a place where we can discuss boss fight encounters that we would like to see in the game. It would appear that many people are looking for more interesting encounters and I think we should do some brainstorming. Please keep the conversation constructive and keep the ideas coming.

My Boss Fight Idea.

My inspiration for this idea was the movie Hancock. When Will Smith (John Hancock) and Charlize Theron (Mary) are together their powers are amplified (buffed) and the weather (environment) around them becomes chaotic. I think this makes for a great dynamic and a compelling fight.

This Fight would be Perfect for Hawkman and Hawkgirl but would also work for any twosome ("couple"). Superman and Wonder Woman. Joker and Harley. Etc.

When they are fighting side by side their damage and their defenses are buffed. They would be coded to protect the other. Say Hawkgirl gets block broken, Hawkman immediately comes to her defense and is buffed. If Hawkgirl is at 75% health and Hawkman is below 35%, Hawkgirl comes to the resuce (buffed).

I think the room should be open to prevent using the environment to your advantage. It would be cool to have the environment react to the fight. Maybe chunks of the ceiling fall on our heads when the bosses are buffed.

Anywho.. Just an idea. I think it sounds cool. and who knows.. maybe it would require two tanks. (Whaaaaa)
    • Like x 13
  2. Cara EL Well-Known Player

You sir are thinking too much outside the box it makes too much sense that they would overlook this forum post and say hey that makes too much sense I'm gonna stay inside my box lol This would be a huge step up in the DCUO if they ever implemented this idea.
  3. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Heck I like this +1

I always thought it would be cool for bosses or adds to debuff you and have your team to cleanse you
  4. Spytle Executive Creative Director

We already do this mechanic in many fights in the game, most recently in DLC 9 {:/

Prior to the single taunt tank pull this was not feasible for us to do, once that got added in, we started doing things like this more because tanks could position themselves and the adds in separate parts of the room.

Inevitably it fails because DPS'ers want everything stacked to kill it quicker and that the healers should just heal through the "buff". I suppose we can start thinking of ways this would debuff damage instead, and hopefully enforce the behavior, but, if I were to think about it from a cynical point of view, I imagine that players would just start trying to bring more DPS to compensate, instead of buying into the mechanic itself.
    • Like x 37
  5. Spytle Executive Creative Director

We are working on incorporating more debuff/cleanse mechanics in DLC11. I wanted to do it for DLC 10, but since people don't bring all roles into alerts (thanks role-less buffs) we can't count on a cleanse being present.
    • Like x 17
  6. Volkenraider Loyal Player

Saw you replied, scrap this post
  7. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

Let's remove those......
    • Like x 9
  8. Volkenraider Loyal Player

I honestly can't wait till DLC 11 to have a hard raid with WM ^^ and the new PVP of course xD
  9. bjr338 Well-Known Player

People are already complaining that the T6 alert takes forever to beat the boss. How long should this new battle you talk about want to last?
  10. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

This game needs more open world boss fights.... where on the chat box it Says "Superman has been spotted near" or "Shazam is fighting Black Adam near Chinatown" and then allow any characters that want to take part in a huge open world boss fight that would drop rewards based on your level/cr.

What would be cooler than while you are farming or waiting for reset to have one of these bosses drop down looking for a fight?

you could even have cross-faction boss battles where someone like Doomsday drops down and both factions can fight to stop him, or mongrel (with an unlimited DC roster seemingly untapped), could be anyone.

just an idea
    • Like x 3
  11. The Johnny army New Player

This comment should come with a glass of water on the side. Ouch, the burn...
    • Like x 2
  12. Cara EL Well-Known Player

Well said I do notice a lot of mechanics have changed especially with the recent DLC which will definitely take some time to learn what works best. Weapon Mastery definitely brought more damage in to not depend on DPS so much and made all roles balanced damage wise. People don't like change but its only natural that we learn something new which entails that we shouldn't just go for damage but to learn what can actually help us in the battle. DPS role is definitely the determining factor and I can understand that buffs would be too silly to add in but I do like your idea of debuffing enemies :D
  13. Bast10n Committed Player

Thank you for contributing Spytle.

I had envisioned damage buffs that hit like a truck. Ones that you wouldn't have the option to choose to just heal through. I also had in mind a defense buff like the OMACs in the duo. Its just simply impossible to damage them unless you separate them.
    • Like x 1
  14. The Johnny army New Player

The issue there is that people would complain that the queues either take too long or don't put them in a balanced group... It's a lose lose situation, if you ask me. The buffs are there to please the community, but they don't please the community...
    • Like x 3
  15. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

You are in Darksieds palace fighting him. You get him to 60 percent health and a cutscene happens. You and the boss get teloported to this arena where now you have to fight Darksied (still at 60 percent health) and the Fury's. (if thats who they are called)
  16. Cara EL Well-Known Player

Lol I was just trying to see if they do read everything and by god they do :D I appreciate feedback :D
    • Like x 1
  17. Cosmos Girl Well-Known Player

I think you'd end up dragging on most boss fight. In BIA Lex and Superman resurrect each other if both aren't killed at the same time, as well as other T5 alerts. On the flip, like in the comics, certain characters can share their powers, like the lantern corps.

As far as environment I would agree. Perhaps walls should have hp and break down in a real fight with superman. I've always wondered why certain environments don't either boost or diminish a certain characters powers.
  18. Cara EL Well-Known Player

There are role-less buffs which in turn gives the group Heals over Time if a Healer isn't present, Defense buff if a tank isn't present, and power over time if troll isn't present. Although like spytle said their intention was to have all roles in an alert not have just DPS play the game.
  19. The Johnny army New Player

My burn comment wasn't meant to you :) Well, unless you do that whole "with more DPS, raids are 5 minutes faster, to hell with support roles!" thing; if you do, then yeah :)

I figure Mepps must have at least 3 screens (!!!) to work with in his office, keeping record of "everything" being written. Whenever something major comes in, it probably gets internally highlighted. And Spytle comments on random stuff all the time. I've even seen Tunso chime in on a random "against GU36" rant, erm, sorry, thread. They listen, they read, they just have to think of the whole picture, how it will NOT please everyone and how they have to make it work.
    • Like x 3
  20. Veritasum Loyal Player

Wonder Twins? Seriously though. I think this is a good foundation for feasible stuff. I understand the OMACs and Tala and the Clown do this, but I think a combination of both is worth a look where you absolutely have to separate them or do some sort of mechanic to remove the buff like activating an EMP or something. Khandaq comes to mind. Of course many will complain that they should not be "forced" to play with two tanks or any roles or whatever. Open world would be great if the PS3 was not in the equation.
    Anyway, I like this idea as a foundation. Early on in HOF, you had to separate the Clown from Tala and it made for some more dynamic fighting. I just hope the community is not so spoiled by OPness that anything other than burn, burn, burn will piss off the fickle masses.
    • Like x 1