Timing window on WM rather small.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Sir Arcanium, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Sir Arcanium New Player

It's not impossible to hit your power at the right moment to get the benefit, but it's rather difficult to do in a real combat situation imo. Especially since the window's don't seem to match up with the animations or the power's progress bar. It seems to me to get the effect you have to push it just before the attack is done, and not wait for it to complete like the description of WM says.

Your window of opportunity seems to be like a half second or less and then nothing. As a DPS there is an incentive to bother and try, your only a DPS and you have nothing else to think about. But for other roles it seems like a waste of effort. If you get the WM buff great, otherwise who cares. Parties will die if a healer tries to hit that regularly in combat imo. Never mind the fact either the power reduction aspect doesn't work or it's such a small reduction I can't even notice the difference in how much my power bar moves.

Which is another funny thing imo. The only class that Didn't get the power reduction aspect of WM is the one that imo needed it the most. DPS are always the ones burning threw all their power, yet healers tanks etc are the ones to get a reduction in power cost if they hit the WM effect? Sure some DPS might be more inclined to pull out their weapons a little more but it's not a huge difference in power consumption rates since they are clipping the end of every WM combo with a power for the boost.
    • Like x 3
  2. SuperLD Well-Known Player

I am still not sure how the WM combo works. Do you unlock the combo of your active weapon? I use rifle do I go to staff and unlock the mortar and flip burst combo there or do I unlock the two weapons in the rifle tree (1h & DP)?
    Then how do execute the combo?
    Thanks.
  3. Eminence Dedicated Player

It should be small, or not have a window at all.
  4. TheLoneLantern New Player

Working as intended, you just need to practice more. I hit the window about 90% of the time, in real combat situations.
    • Like x 7
  5. Femto Well-Known Player

makes you appreciate have a tank in a group from now on lol , interrupts are a B****
    • Like x 3
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It is intended to be difficult and take some skill.
    • Like x 16
  7. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

You miss timing when adds die too fast though.
  8. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

That is true, it takes practice rather than how the clipping mechanic works.
  9. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Fill a given tree with 20 unlocked slots and the specific picks mentioned under the the button on the upper right for WM -- the tooltip tells you which -- and that unlocks the Weapon Mastery option for that weapon. Then you can click on the appropriate WM combo options offered if you also have the corresponding moves unlocked under the listed additional weapon, and have the combos available (see F1 for comfirmation).
  10. Blue Hound New Player

I feel as if a special noise, light, explosion, or whatever, should occur when you get the timing right.
  11. Caleus New Player

Three red rings appear to pulsate from you character when you do it right. There is also a sound attached to it if I'm not mistaken.
    • Like x 4
  12. villian O5 New Player

lol what?
    If you are saying what i think you are saying, you have never done it right.
    • Like x 4
  13. Blue Hound New Player

If what Caleus said is true, then nope, I've never done it right. lol Granted I've only tested WM on test for about 10 min.
  14. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

the window is terribly small but doable...it will take practice but I also think that all the powers have different times on when to hit that window. It would be great if they all had the same window of opportunity. On electric I can hit the "sweet spot" about 75% of the time out of combat but only when I am using the same power. When I use a different power the timing changes even if I use the same combo...that is a bit annoying. If they were all the same timing that would help out a ton.
    • Like x 4
  15. Sir Arcanium New Player

I agree I seem to have to do it a bit sooner when using a power that has a slower animation than a quick burst power. Powers like Transmute that instantly go off seem to have a later timing than ones that take a few milliseconds to do dmg like Life shard.

Btw is there a post with the most up to date facts about WM around any where? I know the initial idea's were posted and then a big thread and debate grew around it. Mostly I'm curious on how WM works if it at all with Pets and Dot's. Last I heard if you use a pet you don't get any benefit from hitting the sweet spot on a WM combo, though the combo itself still does good dmg. Dot's I'm unsure on. I think powers like life shard still do more burst dmg on the first hit but the following Dot's are unaffected by WM.

I'm also curious if the power savings for non DPS is a set amount, a percentage of the original cost of the power or what. From my brief experiments today as a healer it's rather hard to notice any reduction in power cost.
    • Like x 1
  16. Caleus New Player

I don't think there's a thread around.

But to answer your doubts, Sorcery while using pets won't need WM because their awesome level mechanic is doing damage while the pet does some burst damage given it still has power, so far I only know about Sorcery having that disabled with pets. About dots no they don't get the damage boost, there was a point in Test Server where if timed correctly you could get the Critical Bonus on your DoTs but they fixed that. Continuing owing DoTs WM is disabled with Natures DoTs, which are classified as a special dot, Poison Spore, and that's because you can refresh your dots, keeping your damage out high and power in low.
    • Like x 1
  17. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Pretty much Caleus answered both of your questions lol. I have tried to get my dot powers to work with WM but No luck. I thought that maybe the first tick would get a boost, but with electric the animations seem to just be too long to be able to hit that small window. I am really good at getting the burst powers off before the window and negating the last bit of damage from the combo or after the window and not getting any buff lol. If the window was just half a sec longer I think I would be able to hit it reliably...so I kind of hope they change it a bit, but I do not want it to take no skill to use the mechanic...fine line to walk with the window
  18. Prodigy_Deity New Player

It's only been truly out for a few days and already complaint bout window? Give it some time. Takes time to learn to use in actual combat but worth it. Hope the window is t increased.
  19. NecronDaark New Player

I haven't been able to hit it at all, but I'm looking forward to nailing the mechanics and blasting the crap out of stuff. I don't mind that it's difficult, for a 360% increase, you should have to work for it.
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

I was saying this the first day on test. WM is harder to pull off than clipping. It's not very forgiving. Those who were looking for an alternative to clipping that would allow them to compete easier with clippers are in for disappointment.Those who were good at clipping will be the ones who excel at WM, as well.
    • Like x 2