Putting on my player hat

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Spytle, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archangel Rafael New Player

If you think being leet at a video-game is your life's calling, you should seek counseling. Video-games, particularly MMOs are not made to separate the men from the boys. They are made to seem difficult before inevitably rewarding the player, thus creating a faux sense of accomplishment. If you are buying into this faux-accomplishment experience to the point where video-game accomplishment seems real to you, you really need to talk to a professional about that. It's unhealthy.
    • Like x 6
  2. Karasawa Loyal Player

Why write this in regards to HL? Every DPS uses a set rotation of some sort, not just HL. Trollers are even more repetitive since they just hit their power dump over and over and over and over and over and over, but people (including me) still find it satisfying to play as a controller.

And frankly, I don't believe anyone can do the same rotations in minutes that it takes others hundreds of hours to master. Yes, at some point it may feel easy but that's only because you put the necessary time into practicing it. Why is this a bad thing? Isn't that the very definition of developing a skill?

I am a HL dps and controller, I've put the time into practicing the rotations, I've completed the end game content, and I still do not have the arrogance to say I can pull off the most complex of rotations with perfect timing and poise. Your argument is basically you don't consider that skill because you don't care about it. That's fine, but there's plenty of people who do. There's a large community of people who do in fact. And, believe it or not, it's a large community of loyal customers who really enjoy the game. Please consider that. It's not your intention to pick on anybody, but it's inevitable to come across that way when a person in your position writes a "potentially flame worthy post."
    • Like x 7
  3. warpax New Player

noone ducktapes their keys...if they do i feel sad for them.
    there is no fun in macros, it is fun when you execute it perfectly in a hard raid, with alot of repositoning. you will not hit the keys in the same order easily while dodging all the time, like you would do on dummy in war room, you will move and use the rotation, trikents etc... it takes alot more mechanical skill and concentration than it does for just doing a flurry shot with bow.

you were mentioning Olympics high jump as a comparison to skill. well lets compare it to musical instruments. you got keys/strings etc. what makes a skillfull guitarist player? or piano player? dont get me worng, im just saying this cuz you did a comparison that will favor to prove your point.
    there is more to DPSing than to execture a specific rotation on a dummy in warroom. you have to be aware, you have to have the knowladge and adjust to situation, position acordingly, adjust to your team, power inputs etc...and then with all that in mind you implement your rotation. and yes it takes skill. maybe you havent seen the best of the best dps- to see the diference between an average good dps and a really good one. using the same rotation.
    JC was the next lvl of gameplay, and now its been taken away. the only downside it was that it wasnt available to all powersets with the dmg inside the power.

i have open mind to all this new changes that are comming, cuz i will enjoy this game no matter what. but 80% of the ppl i know in this game, hate this upcoming JC change. they might not be here on the forums to express their mind, so im doing it for them. hell, i dont even use HL or gadget or rage. but i still think it's bad.

this change, yes it will be interesting at the start. but later on the rotations will get boring and easy to execture. and there is no content provided to us to keep our minds bussy or to give us a challange in the game (besides pvp). easy content, lack of content...how to make it fun. "let's 4 man it" "let's dps race" "let's power out race" "let's do it witl all iconics powers only" "let's do it without a healer" in the end trolling or healing those raids dont give any challange, and that's why everyone wants to dps, and abuse power cuz it's fun.

you think ppl used macros on powers now? wait till you see what they do with the wepon masteries then.

i blame replay badges for everything. that was worst thing in the game.

oh well what's done is done.
    there is no stoping it, there is only the nerf!
    i guess i made this some kind of my QQ post, but i dont care if someone reads it or no, im glad i got it out of mind.
    • Like x 2
  4. pyroshade13 Committed Player

I can respect that you don't want to play it at a certain difficulty. At the same time I want to play it at a harder difficulty. Would it not be easier to suggest that there just be a way to play a easier and harder version of the same raid?

And yes I am that guy that spent hours training something into muscle memory (pc can do macro I had to learn it because I'm on ps3) but I did it because how often do you see a fire top rage/celestial? I have complained fire needs a buff but at the same time I have accepted where it's at and have pushed it as far as I can and still always looking to improve. The game lends itself to be able to push powers (jump clip/phase dodge/karmic hex) I want content that can accept that.
    • Like x 1
  5. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

Please do not misquote me. I didn't include my thoughts on combat mechanics, only my desire to see all Powersets balanced and feasible in top tier content, putting the dedicated smart players on top, but not leaving others feeling like their Power choice is a dead fish.
  6. Archangel Rafael New Player

Think you click the wrong "reply" here, chief.
  7. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

Okay - I thought you were referring back to my comments from Page 8. Apologies for the misunderstanding then.
    -Zurr
  8. Dark Babylon Active Player

Dear Community Members,

I have been following this thread and other threads on the upcoming changes and understand the arguments on both sides. One thing that I don't understand is why some people feel that challenge and skill is being removed from the game. I imagine that completing weapon combinations while "adds" and "bosses" have the capability of block breaking, stunning, and employing other combat mechanics against players will provide a significant challenge. I don't believe that challenge is being removed. I do recognize that the game is now requiring players to change and adapt their skill set to meet new demands. I imagine that this is difficult. Having to change tactics after developing a skill set for 3 years is not an easy task. With that said, I believe the DCUO community is up to the challenge.

Dark Babylon
    The Offenders
    103 CR 179 SP
  9. Dr Improbable Dedicated Player

I'm tempted to make this my Sig!
  10. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

Why does it always have to be a player "hat" why cant it be your player pants sometime or maybe a nice cardigan....?
  11. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

If I was really good at video games, I would go play the one's that you get paid for being good and not this one. If you are really good at something, you never do it for free....
  12. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Because just like Brainiac, I have no pants.

• Like x 15
  13. Neph Dedicated Player

Who are you Spytle with no pants on? Donald Duck?
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  14. helvetica New Player

lol. I love this post. I think I speak for at least 99 other people when I say that.

Now, if you really want to become a better player and become elite skilled, start using an Iconic and Movement ability loadout. That'll make you beast fast. (They're so under balanced they'll force you to be awesome if you want to survive).
    • Like x 1
  15. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

Well Spytle you're free to respec to HL on the uspc and ill show you what min's of easy clipping look like against someone who knows what they're talking about on the subject. Just sitting on a sparring dummy and working out the rotations is just a small fraction of the "skill" it takes. Transferring that to a raid situation and completing those "easy" rotations to maximise damage is the part you are failing to see. Am I too close too far away for whips to hit all targets? Are you even doing the extra grenade between the HL combos or are you just using whatever weapon you want? The point of HL as a powerset because you chose that one to demonstrate was that basically HL was limited only to the speed of the user. You could do the exact same rotations with the exact same gear and sp and do more damage because you were faster at doing them than the other user. That was one of the most appealing factors of being HL, almost limitless potential and the fact that there is no power interactions.

Get back to me Spyle when your Hold Claw looks like this, so easy isn't it?

[IMG]
    • Like x 5
  16. Archangel Rafael New Player

In olde Europe, men's hat styles were a denotation of profession.
    Anything a machine (macro) can do better than a person isn't much of a skill. I don't have a lot of esteem for being able to spam clip rotations real fast and calling it some sort of skill-superiority.

There was an old arcade game called "Track n Field". It included several sports. Several of them hinged upon how fast to could alternately hit 2 buttons. No one thought that was a big skill.

Sure DCUO is more complicated than that but the basic ability to hit buttons really fast is not what people mean by "skillz" any game.

The "hitting buttons fast" is all that clipping is. The other part about ranges and timing moves? That stuff applies to non-clipping as well as clipping.
    [IMG]

I do not now, nor have I ever, use macro'd hardware to play games. Don't let DCUO become the game that is more fun, or works better with macros than without.

If a macro can do it infinitely better than any player, it's a bad game mechanic. It rewards the player for playing less. This is the cardinal sin of MMO design.
    • Like x 1
  17. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

Sigh the old weary, played out label that every pc user and dps uses macros, its honestly pathetic of people to keep referring to this.
    • Like x 2
  18. Archangel Rafael New Player

you miss the point. Its not about how many people use macros. Its the pure fact that macros work better than playing. That is always a wrong outcome.
    • Like x 1
  19. Ogat New Player

Sure, that's why people like Chill were qqing forums 24/7 crieing about the difficulty of OC raids instead of beating them.. ah right they weren't :rolleyes: Performing actions at certain lvls of speed IS a skill.
    • Like x 2
  20. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

you seem to miss the point, its not about how many people use macros. Its the pure fact that macros are bannable offense and against the TOS of this game, so yea use macros and be LEET lol and also get banned for it. Or you could just stop pretending and show me any video that has a dps using macros in PvE lol, tons in pvp but hmm you don't see the dps in Nexus or A&B spamming macros.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.