Which Comic Book To Read First?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Mepps, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Hi all,

There is a certain engineer on the DCUO team (who will for now remain nameless) who has never - not once - in his life read a comic book. Please help us right this tragic wrong. If you were going to tell someone to read their first comic book - and perhaps the only comic book they'll ever read - which would you choose?

Let's keep it to DC and trade paperbacks as much as possible.

He has agreed to read the most-suggested book and write up his thoughts for all of you once finished. Suggest away!
    • Like x 6
  2. Little Sister New Player

Blackest Night / Brightest Day / War of the Green Lanterns is probably my favorite mainstream series of TPBs that I own. Have them start there :)
    • Like x 11
  3. All Breaker New Player

Couldn't agree more, Blackest Night is IMO the most Epic saga ever put into the DC Universe. On top of that, it contains a wide array of characters and a little bit of back story on them. Would love to see a Black Lantern DLC.....I can just picture my league and I shredding through legions of undead super heros on our way to *SPOILER ALERT* fighting Black Hand and Nekron.....(CHILLS)
    • Like x 4
  4. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Most logical choice: Batman Year One!

The killing joke is also one of my faves both are very much worth it :)

edited. other better choices mentioned here for the lantern universe
    • Like x 2
  5. MrMigraine Devoted Player

If we're talking DC Universe characters (but slightly out of continuity), I'd go with Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross. One of the best Superman stories ever and artwork that makes a neophyte realize that so much more can be done with the medium.

If we're talking something more mainstream, I'd go with The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. A classic Batman/Joker story that had a major impact not just on the DC Universe, but all Batman (and Barbara Gordon and Commissioner Gordon) stories forever more.

If we're talking something simply published by DC, I'd go with Watchmen. It was the watershed moment for the comics industry - a truly adult story told with impeccable artistry. (Check out issue #5 for instance - a perfect mirror of itself, panel-for-panel … i. e. the very first panel of the story reflects the last, and so on.) The story not only took meticulous planning, it treated its characters like real human beings in fantastic situations.
    • Like x 10
  6. Weapon meX New Player

yup Blackest Night or Infinite/FInal Crisis , especially with Darkseid coming with league Halls, it's important for the Unknown Engineer to know what he is working on for us.
  7. GodsRightArm New Player

Blackest Night would be the best choice. If not Batman Hush was very good too.
    • Like x 1
  8. Owl Devoted Player

Best DC Graphic Novels:
    1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    2. Watchmen
    3. Batman: Year One
    4. V For Vendetta
    5. Batman: The Killing Joke
    6. The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume 1
    7. Kingdom Come
    8. All Star Superman
    • Like x 6
  9. Nemisor Committed Player

no mans land.

and how in the hell does somone that works on a comic book based game never read a comic? isnt that part of the job dicription?:p
    • Like x 1
  10. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer

You'll what a great writer can do with Superheros beyond saving the earth and fighting crime.
    A great "who done it" story that says a lot about our heros when they're off the battlefield.

Always been my favorite story.
    • Like x 4
  11. Zuse Loyal Player

Ill only add Infinite crisis and crisis on infinite earths to that
    and it is perfect to get into comics
    • Like x 2
  12. CCBatson Dedicated Player

It kind of depends on your engineer's literary tastes to be fair...

If they like in-depth story and characterization, I'd say Watchmen or KIngdom Come.

If they love the iconic feel of "Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive...", then I'd recommend the collected versions of Superman: Birthright or Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam.

If they love the angst and noir feel of Gotham and the Batman, then I recommend Frank Miller's The Dark Night Returns or The Long Halloween.

And if they just happen to want a strong female character, I recommend the trade paperbooks of Manhunter or the New 52 Wonder Woman!
    • Like x 2
  13. Radium Devoted Player

Geoff Jones entire Green Lantern run starting with Rebirth.
    • Like x 3
  14. Karmapolice Well-Known Player

Sandman, of course! It's always my number one recommendation for non comic readers and first timers!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 6
  15. Kroye Loyal Player

Best story, probably the Blackest Night series. Also, it's hard to go wrong with Batman - he is The Dectective, after all, of DC comics, so the "Year One" suggestions aren't off target.

However, if someone working on the DC universe wants a starting place, I'd suggest a series or title with a bit more breadth, for expose to more characters. Like maybe the Justice League series (Guy got knocked the $%^& out by the Man in issue #5.):
    [IMG]

I also really liked this series (and I chose this issue because of the cover art, not because it's the most important in the series):
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  16. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

Batman Vol. 1 The Court of Owls. It's very easily accessible, and the art and storyline are fantastic.
    • Like x 1
  17. Primordia_Vox Well-Known Player

To be honest, the Batman: Hush series. Amazing artwork by Jim Lee, great story by Jeph Loeb. It's great as a standalone because you really don't need a whole lot of comic book backstory (not counting the Jason Todd parts).
    • Like x 1
  18. Sivulla Dedicated Player

19. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

I'm going to second this and say it is a must. All ten books and the other stuff too.
  20. graydogg51 Well-Known Player

The Death and Life Of Superman
    Superman: Birthright
    Superman: Secret Identity