Why Red Lanterns are Heroes...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Zerefu, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Fruity Reaper New Player

In FFTL we fight them as prisoners but then we also fight yellow lanterns as well as green so that's not particularly a good example. In the new content I haven't beaten one up yet and done them all multiple times.
  2. Fruity Reaper New Player

Yes exactly as the trouble is there is no Anti Hero faction apart from Villains so in the context of this game, they should be villains and not heroes.
    • Like x 2
  3. Mai3coh New Player

I'm honestly surprised the Huntress hasn't received a Red Power Ring.
    • Like x 5
  4. Jazneo New Player

Blue Lantern can make a Red lantern lose there power and break when Blue Lantern can boost Green lantern power
  5. Alpha XXX New Player

So is it next that we get the evil power of Hope as we go with Villainous Blue Lanterns?
    • Like x 2
  6. Jurgen Blitz Dedicated Player

True, but I think that the OP is talking about the Heroism of Red Lanterns withing the DC comics, not the game alone
  7. Fruity Reaper New Player

Yeah how the hell are they going to present the Blue Lanterns as villains, would love to see the story that spins Hope as a bad thing ;)
    • Like x 3
  8. Fruity Reaper New Player

Trouble is we are in the game not the comics, as Alpha XXX pointed out, how are they going to present Blue Lanterns as villains, obviously each universe has its own little tweaks but seriously how will they present Hope as a bad thing?
    • Like x 1
  9. NCR RANGER New Player

Just takes a bit of plot twisting from the writers room. I really want to see indigo Atom.
  10. Fourth New Player

Or Hulk. Could you imagine? Hulk with a red lantern ring would be just... Imagine what he'd do with it, probably just vomit like the rest of them...
    • Like x 1
  11. BumblingB I got better.

LOL Hulk would probably have no change. Mentality will be SMASH!

Also, there was like Spectrum Hulks, right?
  12. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Many of the Red Lantern origin stories are actually heart wrenching. Ratchet's (picture below) was a particularly sad one. He lived on a planet where physical interaction was forbidden. You could kind of see his life as a possible future for our planet actually. They spent all their lives in isolation only able to talk to one another over the internet (or whatever their planet's equivalent was). He arranged to meet up with some other people out in the open but their chat was intercepted and he was thrown in jail for hundreds of years because he wanted to talk to people face to face. A red ring finally came to him after he almost went insane from the lack of interaction in his jail cell.

Red Lanterns are victims.

There will be a spoiler underneath the picture for anyone who didn't read December's Red Lanterns, so don't read under the picture if you don't want it spoiled.

[IMG]

Ratchet sacrificed himself for the rest of the Red Lanterns corps in December because his Rage was subsiding, which meant pretty soon his ring would leave him and thus kill him. When Ratchet joined the Red Lanterns he got the one thing he wanted his entire life; to be with people.
    • Like x 2
  13. WildPegasusrs Dedicated Player

By going too far into Hope that it turns into Delusion and Denial if not Obsession.

i.e. Mr Freeze and his hope to bring back his wife Nora.
    • Like x 7
  14. Meta Flare New Player

We aren't talking about real life...this is a video game/comic book.

Can't people just enjoy the game?
  15. Archangel Rafael New Player

OP clearly doesn't understand the concept of "heroic"
    new52 is garbage to feed spaz-kids

bad guys never think they are bad guys. They always come up with some ridiculous rationalization for why they are actually the good guys. This is not new.
    • Like x 1
  16. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

Ya Rage may at times be used as the anit-hero role (only when it benefits them) but Rage and the red lanterns have for the most part represented the Evil side of the spectrum. I see why DCUO made red for both (easy way out). Even though Gardner is the "leader" of the Red Lanterns rightn now, he hasn't always been the best good guy.
    • Like x 1
  17. MercPony Devoted Player

Another interesting thing to note is, SOE has to get a pass from DC Comics to do much of anything, right? If DC Comics felt using Rage as a heroic power was misrepresenting the Red Lanterns, they would have told SOE "No" :rolleyes:
  18. Prodigy Progeny Dedicated Player

They have explained why they did so & it was ok'd by DC. In the development video they point out that DC kicked back Saint Walkers outfit design because the V shape in his neck wasn't up to par w/ the Comic image. Im pretty sure a power type would hold more weight over a shirt design. Its over & done w/ already...Could they have done something else?....Yes....Did they?..No. Just go enjoy the new DLC.
  19. DaiKaiJu New Player

There is nothing wrong with serving Vengeance, But they are not Heroes......... well in the traditional sense.
    They do fill the Anti-Hero category well though.

I think the thing that is confusing people is how Red Lanterns are on the line and they qualify for both sides. While it is good to exact vengeance on certain people for the sense of "justice", who is above the "Law"? (Don't give me some "they are" crap, cause Batman will disagree when it comes to taking a life)

Point is, are they Heroes?...
    Hell no... But they make great anti-heroes and that is what Red Lanterns are to me.
    • Like x 1
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

Brother Warth, not Saint Walker. Saint Walker doesn't have a V in his outfit.