Favorite fictional novels

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ace1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ace1 Dedicated Player

Post your favorites!
  2. Blazt Furnace New Player

The Wheel of Time series

The Dragonlance series

The Chronicles of Amber series

The Warren Commission Report.
    • Like x 2
  3. Blazt Furnace New Player

Also, the Genghis Khan series by Conn Iggulden
  4. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Series: The Dark Tower by Stephen King (7.5 books, 5 trade paperback comics, 1 short story, 19 books that are tied to it in some way)

Horror: Pet Semitary by Stephen King
    Gory Horror: The Rising by Brian Keene
    Psychological: Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

High Fantasy: The Hobbit
    Dark Fantasy: Game of Thrones

Future Fun: Ready Player One.
  5. Feenicks New Player

I love reading. But my eyes are not what they used to be. Favorites? I'm old school here.

All of H.G. Wells
    All of Edgar Allen Poe
    Animal Farm
    Farenheit 451
    Slaughter House 5
    The Martian Chronicles
    Catch-22 (my favorite of my favorites)
    All of the Sherlock Holmes Mysteries
    Anything by Micheal Moorcock and Peirs Anthoony (ok, not as old school)

And, of course, Tolkien
    • Like x 3
  6. Kroye Loyal Player

Great Expectations. I've read it 3 times I believe, which is more than I've read any other book.

I also really enjoyed Philip Jose Farmers's Riverworld series and J.R.R. Tolkien's Hobbit / Lord of the Rings /Silmarillion series, but I think I only read those books twice each.
  7. Kroye Loyal Player

Doh! Forgot Yossarian! Funniest book ever!
    • Like x 1
  8. Harley'sPoisonousCat New Player

Ripper
    The Outsiders
    Alice in Zombieland
    Zombie Games Origins Series
    Plagued
  9. Feenicks New Player

Absolutely! Movie sucked, but that was the greatest book ever written! Taught me how to buy eggs for 6 cents each, sell them for 4 cents each, AND make a profit by doing it!
  10. Feenicks New Player

The Silmarillion is seriusly under rated. It's the Bible of Middle Earth. Serious must read. I've read The Hobbit/LOTR/Silmarillion too many times to count!
    • Like x 1
  11. Blazt Furnace New Player

And my guilty pleasure.. The Sookie Stackhouse novels.
    • Like x 1
  12. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

For me, I love Michael Crichton (God rest his soul) books. So books like Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Micro, The Andromeda Strain, Disclosure, Prey, and Congo. His ideas of technology, technology becoming too dangerous too wield in the hands of man, somehow going against us. Or the idea of nature going against us.

Also loved Thomas Harris's books focusing on the character of Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising (book is far better than the movie).

Also love the classics like The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald), The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton), Moby Dick (Herman Melville), Journey to the Center of the Earth (Jules Verne).

I love all of Stephen King's work, though I am actually not a huge fan of The Dark Tower series, but they are cool.

Ian Fleming's original James Bond, 007, novels. I also liked the writing of John Gardener's Bond novels, before he turned it over to Raymond Benson.

I am currently reading "Zoo" by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge, it reminds me a lot of Crichton, without feeling like a Crichton book. Definitely a good read so far.
  13. Feenicks New Player

The only thing I don't like about stephen King is he seems to not know how to end his books well. Weaves a great story.....has you captivated......then BOOM it ends. Always left me saying"Is that it? Really??"
    • Like x 2
  14. Breakforce Loyal Player

I'm helplessly hooked on the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde.
  15. Kroye Loyal Player

I haven't read much of his work, but I always enjoyed Rising Sun - I think I read that one twice.
    • Like x 1
  16. Breakforce Loyal Player

Yeah I think that is probably the one knock I have against him. The ending for Under the Dome was so WTF haha.
  17. Drathmor Unwavering Player

love the first two never read the second two
  18. Lights Derp Loyal Player

You sir have forgotten the face of your Father. All of Kings work is either directly or indirectly tied to The Dark Tower. The Crimson King has tainted your mind in some way.

Lol
  19. Breakforce Loyal Player

Hahaha love it!

It took me awhile to get through The Gunslinger, but once I finished that, I just tore through 2-7.
    • Like x 1
  20. Drathmor Unwavering Player

my favorite book is Enders Game by Orsen Scottcard whole series is good tho (my sons middle name is Ender)
    but there are thousands i love

The Dragonlance series
    Drizzt Do'Urden series of forgotten relms
    The Wheel of time series
    David Eddings the Malorian and Belgariad
    The Sookie Stackhouse novels
    the Mercy Thompson series
    hobbit and lord of the rings
    vampire cronicles by Anne Rice great story but horriable writing
    the dragon prince novels by Melline rawn
    assassins aprentice series by Robin Hobbs
    many many more it would take me forever to type all the ones i loved

Edit : ahh cant forget the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett they are great and funny