Comics for people who don't read comics

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by RitzyDitzy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. RitzyDitzy New Player

I'm curious what books people would recommend to those who don't read comics. I would go with Saga, Sandman, Fables, All Star Superman, Gotham Central, New 52 Wonder Woman, the Invisibles, and Hellboy.

P.S. Like the music store in Wayne's World has a sign that says "No stairway to heaven" please no Watchmen.
    • Like x 1
  2. LL New Player

U just listed comics...point of thread?
  3. RitzyDitzy New Player

Is reading your strong suit?
  4. LL New Player

Actually no but shhh it is my job...don't tell anyone...:)
  5. RitzyDitzy New Player

Sorry about the pointless thread how do you have them closed?
  6. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Every music store I went to when I was a kid and still thought I was gonna be rock star had a sign like that in the guitar section, so we would play it on keyboards,violins, etc.
    Damn kids!
  7. Dametria Loyal Player

It really depends on the person I'm talking to, but I will say it pleases me to no end seeing you add the New52 W.W.
    I was so disappointed by "Attack of the Amazons" which did nothing to boost Princess Diana's readership:( thankfully J. Michel Straczynski took his job as a writer a bit more serious and showed W.W. the respect she deserves.

Anyhoo...I've recommended New 52 W.W. to quite a number of people, most of which return and tell me how surprised they were to find a "graphic novel" they enjoyed. And a few have even begun joining me on my Wednesday trips to the local Shoppe de 'la Comique Books:D
    I have also recommended Captain America (non-Avenger books), his one-shots and World War II stories especially by Ed Brubaker help make Cap. a compelling character.
    Also, I totally agree with the Dark Horse titles being good "gateway drugs" for people who aren't interested in the "silly cape and cowl" storybooks.
    And "Amen!" to the "no watchmen" that's one time (IMHO) a movie actually may have detracted from the original work it was based on.

Good thread! +1
  8. Harley'sPoisonousCat New Player

I would start with the Comic Collections and see how you like those. JLA,Teenage Superhero Revelution. Stuff like that and see how you do. FOR ALL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DON"T READ COMICS "DON'T KNOCK THEM TILL TOY TRY THEM ;)
  9. Blazt Furnace New Player

Action Comics #1
    Amazing Fantasy #15

Are there really any others to start with?
  10. RitzyDitzy New Player

A lot of people don't like spandex or capes.
  11. Blazt Furnace New Player

What's wrong with them? :eek:
  12. RitzyDitzy New Player

Most people I come across who don't read or care for comics think they are all about superheroes, which they find to be silly.
  13. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

The best thing to do is go to where you would buy comics, look at the options and then pick the the ones that make you think "hm, that looks interesting". There is so much out there that in order for you to read everything that we the people would shout out at you would take too long, I'd hit the shops and follow your gut.
  14. Feenicks New Player

There once was a set of comics covering Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock. I loved them, but then I read all the books first.
  15. Blazt Furnace New Player

Excellent series. The books I mean.

Never picked up any of the comics.

Excellent suggestion.
  16. Feenicks New Player

I believe I've read them all.....also Dorian Hawkmoon, Oswald Bastable (named a Quantum alt after him), Prince Corum, every Eternal Champion book I could find.
  17. Blazt Furnace New Player

The Swords Trilogy was good. As well as the Wheel of Time series. And of course the Chronicles of Amber.
    • Like x 1
  18. Lights Derp Loyal Player

For people that don't like super heroes I usually recommend fables, sandman, 100 bullets, preacher, DMZ, transmetropolitan, any of the King adaptations (dark Tower, the stand, talisman).

If they think super heroes are stupid I recommend The Boys just to see the reactions.