Stop changing rules mid-game!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FrankDma1962, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neph Dedicated Player

I have always felt that PVE gear should only be used for PVE content, and PVP gear should be used only for PVP content. When the armories come out, it will be easier for players to switch their gear back and forth.
    • Like x 2
  2. twist New Player

I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. I was trying to quote ONLY Spytle's response to the OP. I didn't notice there was a second quote. My reply was meant to be only to Spytle's response to the OP, and had absolutely nothing at all to do with Fox's post. And I will reiterate once again. I have no problem with ANY changes the developers feel would make the game better. My issue is with his comportment.
    • Like x 1
  3. SuperiorMouse New Player

i agree. i've heard spytle say in the past that they develop PVE and PVP together and consider the game one product but this has always bothered me. i understand the business and financial reasons but i honestly feel like this development approach hinders both aspects of the game from becoming something amazing.

you caught me while i was editing. :p please take a look at my reply again.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  4. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

First generation veterans had to follow the intended gear progression path, tooth and nail. There were plenty of hints for us as to what the intended design was, and when we tried to work around these issues with clever glass cannon gear builds, they were nerfed hard and PVE gear across the board was rebalanced. Just one example. Players will always hunt for workarounds, and SOE having to step in and regulate gear again proves we're the reason we can't have nice things.

As for the subject of the leveling rings, necks, masks and weapon choices offered by the PVP gear vendors which we used in PVE, there is opporunity here.

Now that we have MoT rewards in the 1-30 leveling campaign, as well as replay badge uses, it sounds perfectly reasonable to me ( :p ) to see the introduction of gear we can buy during the leveling campaign that costs MoT. This can cost as low as a single MoT (like the 30 tier 0 gear - Star EX/etc), can include gear items at different levels and for both roles, and a variety of weapons.

Those Tier 0 gear vendors can also be upgraded to include level 30 variants of the same gear for the other roles, as well as include some basic rings, necks, faces and weapons. I think the weakest weapon at the T1 duo level was a 53 or 54 dps weapon. That would be, imo, a nice starter point. That would mean anything you find in the first duos and then onward would drop better stuff, but players would always have the option to grab a full set of starter gear. (The starter utility belt is already there at the same vendor! The concept is already there!)
    • Like x 4
  5. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

People can read previous posts and there's no need to mindlessly quote entire previous posts. I haven't distorted any of your points, nor inhibited your ability to reply and clarify.
    • Like x 1
  6. TroEL Dedicated Player

I'm honestly in shock at how many of you people use PVP gear in PVE content. Using a trinket is one thing, crying over full sets of gear/weapons is another. Using PVP gear as a crutch just goes to show the type of player you are. It's so easy to obtain PVE gear and the content is in no way THAT challenging until you get to T5 (and even that has now been dumbed down). The outcry over this change is very disturbing and I hope I don't run into any of you in an instance.
    • Like x 5
  7. Neph Dedicated Player

What I find particularly funny is that the OP never...before this post that I am typing, FrankDma1962; never stated that he took offense to what Spytle stated in this thread. All those people looking to jump on Spytle or champion Frank, (who did not asked to be defended) need to take a minute to calm down.

All this "we expect you to always be cordial", "how dare you say tough to a paying player", "Gasp, the audacity...," etc. is ridiculous.
    • Like x 3
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Uh, a minute ago you wrote:
    Please pick one. You can pick either, but you can't require both that it's mandatory to quote entire messages and fine and preferable to quote only the relevant parts.
  9. twist New Player

What? Never mind . LoL, you lost me.
  10. Anarcho-Captain New Player

why do people like to march around doing PVE things in PVP gear? I feel stupid in PVP gear when I've got PVE things to do. Especially if I'm using a newer toon & I don't have any rings worth a crap & I'm too lazy to go to the broker & just buy a level 30 ring (even though the stats will be lower than a PVP ring with completely useless Toughness against PVE enemies). When people in a group notice they're like "OH COME ON MAN! Really? You're wearing PVP gear? AMATURE!" Yeah. Get the PVE gear.
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

You instructed me:
    Then you follow by writing:
    And now you're quoting only the snips of text you think relevant. (Which is what I agree is best.)

Which is it? It can't be both. Do you assert people have to quote entire posts, and if so, why aren't you doing so? If not, why did tell me to do so? Which is it?
  12. PurexEnergy New Player

This update should have been implemented AFTER the release of armories IMO. What if someone's in PVP phase and prepped for getting ganked but also doing PVE missions? Or even doing open world PVP (Diamond Heist) events for that brief time and jumping back into PVE afterwards. This could've have been planned better.

Obviously, there are "those" people out there that ruin it for everyone else BUT then again, the dev's could've taken some pro-active measures in preventing these situations from happening. Overall though, I'm glad they separated PVP from PVE but instead of making the gear "off", why not have a notification that alerts the player about their gear?
  13. twist New Player

The issue here is not that Spytle was 'tough' on a paying player as you say. The issue is that Spytle was unnecessarily rude to someone. Spytle is well known for his caustic remarks and he has every right to say what he thinks. He didn't ask you to defend him, so why do you feel the need need to? My reply to Spytle wasn't defending anyone, I was merely stating my opinion that I felt he stepped over a line.
  14. Neph Dedicated Player

yeah but who are you? Did Frank seek you out to defend his honor? Are you the rude/polite police? What line was crossed, who determines where the line is drawn?
  15. twist New Player

I think you misunderstand. There was a technical error. I never meant to quote Fox's post, nor did I see that it was in my reply to Spytle. In any case I didn't snip either posts so I'm just confused.
  16. twist New Player

I'm twist ,no he didn't seek me out, I'm not the police. And again I wasn't defending anyone. You were. And I said I was stating my opinion. EESH.
  17. Neph Dedicated Player

then if you were not defending, you arbitrarily decided to attack? wow.

whether you realize it or not, you were taking a position of defense. You took offense to Spytle's comment, a comment that was not directed toward you. You decided to include yourself taking the position of a judge and slapping Spytle on the wrist. It was not just you, Tikkun and some others did it too.
  18. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Hey Tikkun.

Thanks for the feedback. I completely respect your opinion. My apologies to everyone on that front. I was waking up and making coffee when I read it, so no telling what could have come out of my virtual mouth. ;)

Messaging aside, assuming I choose better words to respond with, I still believe in the sentiment of my response. I was reacting to the very specific nature of this complaint. In it, the details really point to a person of lower level relying on a complete set of PvP gear to level through the PvE content. The PvP gear was NEVER meant to be used for those purposes - especially now that you can purchase this gear with cash in an exploited and over inflated economy. So, while any of you can say it was our fault for not catching that and allowing it in the first place, I can't help but feel completely taken advantage of when someone employs it in this way. We tried to do something convenient and balance out one area of the game, and it became a way for people to game the system of PvE leveling. It just becomes extremely frustrating on our end to constantly deal with people taking advantage in ways we didn't intend. It happens far too often in ways many of you never hear about. We are not perfect, we make mistakes and there are oversights, but speaking for myself, when people constantly take advantage of those mistakes to the detriment of other players and us, it becomes quite disheartening. I think you saw a little of that creep out in that response.

So, while my response can be taken as rude, and I will again apologize for that, I do wholeheartedly believe in the sentiment I expressed. As people have stated, there are some edge cases we will consider, or already are, with regards to chosen weapon and the breakout trinket. The weapon experiment for DLC 9 will show us a lot and we will likely backwards engineer the system if it goes over well. And as I stated in another response, I will broach the subject of a breakout effect on a PvE compatible trinket with the system team. No promises or eta on any of those issues at this time.
    • Like x 19
  19. twist New Player

It wasn't arbitrary at all, nor was it an attack. I set down at my keyboard with the intent of writing a reply. I said I thought he stepped over a line. How is that an attack? What I feel was inappropriate was telling someone that they should quit trying to take advantage of the system and just play the game. When in fact, many many people use replay badges to "take advantage" they don't hit end content as skillful players. Yet I don't hear Spytle telling those people to play all levels to gear up appropriately so that they will be skilled players at end content. My point was simply that he could have made a reasoned reply as to why he felt it was a good change for everyone instead of slapping someone down. I'm sorry you can't understand that.
  20. Neph Dedicated Player

Oh and just for the record, I in no way was defending what Spytle said :)

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of Spytle and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Neph. Examples of analysis performed within this article are only examples. They should not be utilized in real-world analytic products as they are based only on very limited and dated open source information. Assumptions made within the analysis are not reflective of the position of Neph.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.