Unable to hear exobits, question marks, briefings, or investigations at times

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Jun 8, 2013.

1. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I am having a random problem, and I literally mean random. I'll sometimes be able to hear exobits, question marks, briefings, and/or investigations, but not all the time. Sometimes I'll hear them 90% of the time while other times, I'll hear them 25% of the time. This makes it really difficult to find these things unless I happen to go right through one or spot one from a distance. It is also putting me at a disadvantage compared to players who are able to hear them 100% of the time.

Usually exiting the game and starting it again or logging out of the game and logging back in will fix it.

Anyone else experiencing this from time to time?
    • Like x 13
  2. MissTea New Player

I'm having the same issue, only you can add the sound effects for weapons and changing movement mode (supersonic flying, ect) for me. Hope they can get this fixed eventually :}
    • Like x 2
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

This often happens when choosing to "Switch Character" instead of "Exit Game" and then leaving the game open with the character selection screen up for some time. This morning, I had the problem occur right off the bat when starting the game even after having the game completely shut down overnight. This morning, I had absolutely no sound: no music, no sound effects, no character voices, etc. Exiting the game, "Exit Game", and starting it from scratch fixed it.
  4. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I noticed, that the sound sometimes starts to bug, when there are many soundeffects stacking on to of each other.

This also happens randomly in Gotham, while moving around. The sound doesn't vanish, but becomes very low.
  5. Humane Committed Player

A simple relog solves it. It's been happening to me for a very long time, when I first log in the sound is just fine, then it drops to near inaudible, usually after I run a raid or alert
  6. Ragna New Player

Same here. If I had to guess, "sounds stacking" is the issue as usually the problem correct itself after a few minutes (without the need to relog)
  7. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

With stacking of sounds I mean what happens when 8 vs 8 people with at least 6 NPC's in FOS hit each other until it is all noise and it starts to stutter and break off. And that doesn't fix itself after leaving the match. Usually weapon-sounds are missing, but many times collections, exobits and stuff become inaudible at the same time.
  8. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

The problem is still occurring. I am deaf to all exobits, investigations, briefings, and question marks. My combat sounds are somewhat broken, but mostly intact. This is incredibly annoying.
    • Like x 1
  9. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Happened again yesterday. I was using an R&D Scanner to find exobits, and the last 5-6 exobits I collected made no sound.
  10. Martian Reaver Well-Known Player

11. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I noticed a similar, but reversed version of this bug:
    When you pick up a briefing/investigation and while you do that you enter a cutscene (eg. in Ace Chemicals), then the sound of the briefing/investigation will not go off even though you collected it and it is white.
  12. Fire For Effect New Player

I may be new here but I don't think that I should have to relog in order to hear the game. I hope this problem will get fixed sometime soon.
  13. akaivy Dedicated Player

I think this problem is occurring intermittently with most of us, but not just with exobits. Sometimes I have no game sound at all. I did change my sound settings recently in order to hear exos better. I have everything turned down low in settings except sound effects. Since all i get is moving mouths/ no game sound most of the time anyway, it doesn't really matter to me if I have the rest of the sound.
  14. danielqpk New Player

EXOBITS MAKE SOUND!?!?

Whaaaaaaat?
  15. TheLoneLantern New Player

It's horrible because the exobits are difficult enough to find w/o the sound messing up. I feel that the devs are doing it on purpose just to sell more scanners...
  16. AudMike New Player

As the audio lead on the project, I assure you that any issue where a sound fails to play is not a ploy to sell scanners. I enjoy the fact that collecting exobits is much easier if you have the sound turned up. :)

As for those experiencing this, are you playing on PC or PS3? Does the length of time you're playing seem to determine when the sounds will go away? Do you generally hunt for exobits in Gotham or Metropolis or both?
  17. MonkeySparkz New Player

I play on ps3 & yes, the length of time I play does determine when the sounds go away, but it's not just exobits. Audio for a lot of the game goes away too like music, character voices & stuff like that.
    • Like x 1
  18. Valsmurf Loyal Player

I play on uspc, this used to happen to me alot around august last year, it was extremely frustrating but i as able to solve it by logging out and logging back in, but the problem disappeared for a long time.

In the past 2-3 weeks or so, this problem has come back , only that i can't solve it with a relog, i have to actually shut the game down and restart it for the sound to come back , not even switching toons helps.

I usully farm in gotham my time in game doesn't seem to affecting this since i have had the exos lose their sound a few seconds after logging in as well as after several hours of play.

What does seem to affect this is when i mess around ith the audio settings. When i raid with my friends, i like to lower the sfx volume, and then turn it back up when i go farming. Sometimes, when i do this, the sfx volume goes up for everything except the sound of exos and collections. I can hear my weapon attacks and the sonic boom of my flight or the chimes of celestial, just fine. In fact i can even hear the sound of exos being added to my inventory, that "thunk" sound they do, i can hear that perfectly as well. I just can't hear collectible items.

Which makes it easy to understand why conspiracy theories start running rampart about it. I know it's a technical issue, but when everything else works fine except those items you can pay to find more easily, just makes me think what an unfortunate coincidence that is :p

I
  19. Jamie New Player

This happens all the time to me. I have not found any ryhme or reason to it. I'm on the US PS3 server. Everyone I know has just come to expect it from DCUO. You know you will lose sound. You just don't know when or for how long.
    • Like x 1
  20. Faded Killa Level 30

All my league mates who have been playing since day one say that you should just expect this, and Its been like that forever will probably not change. Its like the chat system, it has its bugs but works fine sometimes.