Teach, don't kick

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Oct 10, 2013.

1. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Didn't read very well there did you? Show me once where the OP said a thing about Nexus? He was talking about Ace Chemical.. you know the T1 Alert where players actually START getting armor that is designed for their role. Same one that BRAND new 30s that may have soloed all the way to 30 are now doing and quite possibly is the first time anyone expected then to provide power.

Earlier tonight I was in Gotham when a message appeared in Shout; "Is there anyone out there that isn't a moron that would like to team on this Halloween stuff?" I don't suppose it ever occurred to Mr. Sensitivity that not everyone has been playing the game for over 2 years and this may be quite a few's first Halloween event. It's mine but fortunately I tend to pay attention to what is happening around me and I'm doing just fine. I think the biggest complaint is on the portals where 3 spirits appear and then turn into bubbles the "noobs" don't know to simply pick up the bubble and toss it.... Gee instead of insulting half the players out there why not just TELL them that?

That's one of the biggest problems I see in this game at any level. No one wants to TEACH/SHOW anyone anything they want CR 99s for T2 missions so they can zip through to the next thing on their list of what I WILL ACCOMPLISH TONIGHT. Taking five minutes to explain something to anyone might cost them a few marks plus then they wouldn't have nearly as much to whine about.
    • Like x 8
  2. Red Skorpion Dedicated Player

Hey to be bad is sometimes being a hindrance if your group is fragile... you should want to improve no matter the circumstances ... i know we all did not start off as the experienced type but i find it weird that people step away from the basic fundamentals of there roles .... to get back to you, i understand a small population come to the forums but do not bask in the pools of mediocrity this game isn't that difficult. you should seek help if your not that good and this'll lessen the chance of you getting kicked ignorance is bliss but isn't appreciated, i will help those who want help but nvr inside an instance now if its lower tier content than maybe i will or i'll just push through it.. In T5 you should know better, and to be honest I've kicked my fair-share of people but i guarantee none of them were doing there role at an average rate....

the moral is I can help people excel at the following powers Nature/dpsing everything mental, Fire tanking, Electric Healing, ice tanking and quantam anything... but for those times i can not help people because i myself have limited insight on that power then how can i help?
  3. SuperSloppsta New Player

i always try to teach before I kick but really the game itself needs to do a better job of teaching, this game gives you zero information on what you're supposed to be doing.
    The other night I had to (well I didnt have to) tell a guy what marks of tiumph were and what they were for and show him where to spend them
    but back on topic yea teach before kick
    • Like x 2
  4. alloygt Well-Known Player

in those instances I refer them here to oracles database for guides, or, given the time, I'll pull up that particular guide on my tablet to help coach, but honestly it's still just for pi info and general loadout and that still mostly only applies to dps or healing more than trolling and tanking. I think we are more talking about generalities anyway, game mechanics and the basics of the roles not detailed loadout etc.

at any rate, oracles database is the best solution if you lack the intimate knowledge they may be seeking, as an example I am clueless on earth and celestial, I haven't played them nor read about them as of yet...at least not in enough detail to comment intelligently on them.
    • Like x 1
  5. Zuse Loyal Player

Always teach ... always ..............ALWAAAAYS !!!!
    • Like x 5
  6. alloygt Well-Known Player

this is why in another thread I suggested that there be an iconics simulation alert involving the tech mentors as controller / dps, magic as heals / dps and meta as tank / dps. Each one filling for whatever role you are not and use this as a tutorial.
    • Like x 2
  7. Spoofer New Player

What if they have the kick me sign in their back? :cool:
    • Like x 1
  8. alloygt Well-Known Player

well in that case....

:D
  9. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

I've done this several times. It's amazing what this game doesn't teach.

I know I'm grateful to those who have offered advice in game and in the forums.
    I don't feel the need to create a guide in the database - others are better suited to this.
    But, I've read several of the guides. They have a lot of good information.

When I teach in game, I always recommend coming to the forums and searching Oracle's Database.
    That way, whom ever I am teaching can benefit from far more than my meager knowledge.
    • Like x 3
  10. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I agree when you get to that point, you should know your role by then. Again at that point you should be giving people a chance to run the raid to learn the fights for they become more experience at it.
  11. Notangie New Player

Agreed. The OP was about Ace Chemicals.
    • Like x 2
  12. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Funny thing is in the event, even experience players will hack and slash Klarion when he has his red shield up. When he has his red shield up, he doesn't take no damage and suppose get the crystals, but yet people will still hack and slash at him.
    • Like x 1
  13. ZEUSofGODS Dedicated Player

2 things that annoy me...

-Noobs without mics
    -Noobs in troller role in lower content not aware of how to do their job....

If they have a mic I have no issue telling them and coaching them... However if they can't here me, I won't waste time typing.... If they are in troller Orleans d not giving power... They should be in dips stance and allow us to have the buff... But noooooo.... They can't hear or learn due to "no mic", plus they are impacting the overall alert by being in a role they have no clue how to do and taking my pot buff away... I will 100% boot them in this situation...

Now if they have a mic and is willing to learn then I have no prob teaching them about pot, mass power dumps and vit... But I hardly ever come into this situation...
    • Like x 1
  14. kidd94kidd New Player

im saying right the other day i seen this guy LFG roles for FOS 2 speed feat. he wanted 88^ crs. thats messed up. one time i got a group together and i picked up a troll that had around 1600 vit and the other 900. and a dps was like what? kick the troll i got a stronger one whos willing to help us. i had to tell him to calm down cause its a t3 raid hes good where hes at, hes t3 you cant expect everyone in this game to be t5. some people just dont understand there are new players here everyday trying to level up, you cant just expect them to join, get to lv 30 and be t5
    • Like x 1
  15. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I use Google on my PC and look up the power set the person is using. I know enough of the fundamentals to read the power descriptions and let the person know which powers do what is needed for that role at a minimum. An example for the controlling power sets follows since most times it is controllers who have not learned their roles by the time they reach level 30; I really wish the game taught that role a bit better in the 10-30 missions:

"[For Mental:] Use Telekinesis/Terror Tendrils to provide power over time (PoT) to yourself and to the group.. One of those two powers should be used every 20-25 seconds to keep power over time up for yourself and the group, and only one should be on your loadout since they do not stack. Use Psychic Empowerment a few times during that 20-25 seconds to provide instant power to the three lowest group members. Also, controllers should be using range weapons and not melee weapons to survive longer and provide power to the group longer."

"[For Light:] Use Boxing/Light Claws to provide power over time (PoT) to yourself and to the group.. One of those two powers should be used every 20-25 seconds to keep power over time up for yourself and the group, and only one should be on your loadout since they do not stack. I would also recommend hitting the Recharge power immediately after hitting the Boxing/Light Claws to prevent those from taking you into melee. You should be using range weapons as a controller to survive longer and provide power to the group longer. Using Recharge will provide instant power to the three lowest group members and should be cast a few times during those 20-25 seconds before you use Boxing/Light Claws again."

"[For Quantum:] Use Tachyon Burst/Gravitonic Field to provide power over time (PoT) to yourself and to the group.. One of those two powers should be used every 20-25 seconds to keep power over time up for yourself and the group, and only one should be on your loadout since they do not stack. During the 20-25 seconds, use Temporal Extortion a few times to provide instant power to the three lowest group members. Also, controllers should be using range weapons to survive longer and provide power to the group longer."

"[For Gadgets:] Use Sticky Bombs to provide power over time (PoT) to yourself and to the group. I do not recommend Taser Pull since you will bring enemies to you and essentially be acting as a tank without the survivability of a tank. Taser Pull can be good in some specific situations, but it is not recommended as a general controller power over time move. Use Sticky Bombs every 20-25 seconds to keep power over time up for the group and yourself. During the 20-25 seconds, use Defibrilator a few times to provide instant power to the three lowest group members. Also, controllers should be using range weapons to survive longer and provide power to the group longer."
    • Like x 1
  16. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

Its extrememely easy to teach newer players using a mic. You can talk AND show them how to do things. And it won't take much time because your hands are free so you can still go through the instance. My personal expereince.

But before I got a mic? Ain't nobody got time for that! hard to explain things through chat, and you kinda have to stop playing in order to do it...
  17. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

That doesn't quite cover everything, but it is a real good starting place for a brand new controller!
    The rest, they should be able to figure out... except..

For Light: you can clip boxing or light claws with recharge to keep yourself from lunging at the target. This will help keep you out of melee range.

They will still need to learn CC and debuff... and pick ups... and shields... and possible supercharges to give power or shields... including iconic Word of Power...
    And these depend upon getting the "feel" of the powerset far more than the basics of power generation...

But you covered the very basics quite well, and I know that I appreciated that back then.

I also applaud your effort in getting the power names for the individual power sets, instead of just expecting them to know which power is their PoT and which is the instant power.
    • Like x 1
  18. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

Or some people don't have time for that.
    I do all my contact with other players via chat.
    The Voice system is there, but most of the time if I hear another player's mic it's just blaring music or some kid yelling.

So yeah, I have time for that.
    I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but taking the time to say "Greetings" and "if we work as a team , we can get through this a lot easier" goes a long way.
    • Like x 1
  19. TrueGODofMarvel New Player

When I said " Ain't nobody got time for that" i was joking. You've never heard that phrase before?
  20. Solstice Vanguard Well-Known Player

I honestly agree with the OP with this.

I've met tons of players who refuses to listen (or read) simple instructions without "I've done this mission too many times, so you do you and I do me" spouting on the mics. I've given Plans to players who lacked knowledge in the game and even told them some good load out options, along with link sources.

On the flipside, when I hear how people just use the mic to argue with people and spout how elitist they are to refuse actual help or sound reason, it not only urks me to the teeth, but that's when I utilize the kick button.

I disagree on kicking lower tier players in instances when you're Tier 3 or higher. If you need a speed feat, don't pug unless you're in a Duo or you have a solid group to do it with in Alerts.

However, I agree with kicking players if they refuse to listen.

A golden post.
    • Like x 2