Comic book fans: What irks you the most about Superhero films

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Anarcho-Captain, Sep 18, 2013.

1. EnemyOfDaState New Player

Fair enough I'll just have to take your word on DD directors cut, I don't see how more scenes could have made that crap feast better bad acting, horrible casting for Bullseye and that soundtrack. It was just tragic.
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

It was awful, I won't with that. There was an entire sub story cut out about a young man wrongfully accused of a crime. Matt using his lawyer skills, and Daredevil collecting evidence saved the day. The Elektra story was toned back, and Bullseye was a bit player, not nearly as prominent. I'm not sure why they cut the sub story out, it really felt like a Daredevil story.
  3. EnemyOfDaState New Player

That actually doesn't sound half bad now if they threw in a soundtrack swap i might check it out lol.
  4. FrankDma1962 Well-Known Player

Yes. Going to get the Flash Paradox soon. But very disappointed that YJ was replace with that crap called Teen Titans Go!. Has to be the biggest waste of programming I've seen.
  5. FrankDma1962 Well-Known Player

Never saw Lantern in the theater because of the trailer. When they showed him showing off his powers to his friend.......OK, let's tell the world and be done with it.
  6. FrankDma1962 Well-Known Player

Lines are always crossed. Some of them we don't know about until much later. What would you do if your favorite actor came out years after doing your favorite role and told the world that he use to be a woman when he was a complete nobody in the day? Would you discredit the role now? Hate this actor?

I really don't care what a person does behind the scenes in their personal lives as long as when they get in front of the camera and perform to the best of their abilities. You break rules, ruin other people's lives or just be a complete a$$ then you've crossed the line of common courtesy. I really don't know where your lines are but I live in the real world where people have real issues and lifestyles. I don't pigeonhole them based phobias I might have but on their abilities. The third arm can be digitally wiped out after filming but if you still have problems with transgenders or others like that then you're living in a darker world than the rest of us.
  7. AV Loyal Player

That's not true. Scripts can change a lot from the time the actor reads it and when the film is finished. Once they've signed onto the film they have to roll with the punches. Their only options are to a) quit the film (career suicide) or b) finish the film and promote the hell out of it, as their expected/demanded to (spiritual suicide). It's a really crappy position to be in and it happens all the time.

While some big name actors have the clout to say "no... hold the ******* phone... un**** this script or I'm out..." but in general that's not a career option that can take. Start playing your cards like that and you're dead in the industry. It's ********. They typically have -extremely- limited created control over the art their creating. Even the director's get ****** in the end. I can't even think about Hollywood without getting extremely depressed over how ******* stupid and frustrating the entire process is. The people who really control the finished product are the studio and the producers. The ones throwing money at it. The smart ones leave the project alone because they realize the professional artists can do a better job than they can. Or they work alongside the original artists (eg. Harry Potter) to ensure that the adaptation is as true as possible. There are far more script/story killers though than there are good producers/studio execs. Don't just take my word for it though.

Here are some prime examples of what could have been good films being railroaded because of something outside of an actor's, or director's control:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Throughout the entire creative process, pretty much everyone involved was completely aware of how absolutely horrible the film was going to be but they were afraid or unable to stand up to George Lucas and tell him to step the hell back so they could fix the monstrosity he created.

Daredevil: This is, hands DOWN, the absolute best example of how ******* ******** the Hollywood film industry is. If you want to see, first hand, the abject -stupidity- of the powers-that-be in Hollywood, go watch Daredevil: The Director's Cut. Anyone who's seen it will know exactly what I'm talking about but if you haven't, make time asap to check this movie out. Not the theatrical release, the Director's Cut. Just... PLEASE.... go watch this and you will understand how bad Hollywood is. The Director's Cut is actually a solid film and it's an especially solid superhero film. The director had it right the first time and then the big wigs BUTCHERED it on him. This is -not- like Green Lantern: The Director's Cut, which is actually worse than the theatrical, this is an entirely different movie altogether. You will be in disbelief at how badly the director and Ben Affleck got screwed over.

Don't worry. I can't remember where I heard it but I believe the studio will be making direct-to-home YJ films soon. Especially if the YJ game does well.
    • Like x 1
  8. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Someone posted this a while ago, and I think it strongly relates to what some of you guys are saying. Kevin Smith talks about how he got to write a Superman movie and what became of his script.
    • Like x 1
  9. AV Loyal Player

You know, they actually made the suggestion that DC Animated Originals should make all their movies based off of the rejected live action scripts... can you imagine how appalling it would be? Then we'd have nothing...
  10. Brother Cimorelli New Player

Ticks me off that they all cant be as epiclly written and done as Kickass & Kickass 2. Though I guess that's because Kickass & Kickass 2 r the BEST COMIC MOVIES EVER AND THERE'S NO TOPPING THEM!!!!!
  11. MrMigraine Devoted Player

It irks me that at one point, WB had Joss Whedon writing and directing a Wonder Woman movie ... and that they pulled the plug.
  12. AV Loyal Player

I don't understand how WB is such a massive cluster ****. They need more people with the balls to stand up to ******** producers and execs.
  13. isamunore New Player

The thing I don't like about alot of the comic movies is the need to try to squeeze in a love story in the middle of the hero trying to save the world. The next thing I don't care for is reinventing the characters personality, not to be confused with exploring a different aspect of the characters personality examples.

1. Happy go lucky Bruce Wayne and quesdo nightwing ina love triangle with poison ivy in Batman and Robin. I mean really....
    2. Amazing Spiderman has Peter Parker living in Coney Island Brooklyn instead of Forest Hills Queens. For Batman Fans thats like having Bruce live in Bludhaven instead of Gotham. There's a list with that film but I wont go into it.
    3. I don't like how a love story was squeezed into Man of Steel during an epic alien invasion, that should have been saved for later or not at all.
    4. I hate how Pepper Pots was squeezed into 4 films iron man 1-3 +avengers. Thats screen time that could have been used on a character we actually care about.. The War Machine
    5. Every film with wolverine in it makes the same mistake. His bones are laced with metal. Why is it in every film when he gets shot in the head the bullet goes into his skull and a few seconds to a minute later his body pushes the bullet out, except for the mutant killing adamantium bullets? I'll wait why you think about it. On top of that for 1 studio handling x-men the x-universe sucks.
    6. John Robin Blake...nuff said
    7. the biggest pet peeve I have is instead of casting the best person for the job, they cast the most popular that usually ends up embarrassing themselves
    8. In closing I'll ask this.. did the world need a Robocop reboot with an all-star cast of Sam Jackson, Gary Oldman, Micheal Keaton..u get the idea
  14. AV Loyal Player

Have you seen the google promotional crap along the lines of "Who Will be Batman's Girlfriend in MoS2?"

Like...

Are you...

Kidding me...

If I wasn't done with idea of DC in Hollywood as it is, that would have done it for me.
  15. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I disagree on #4 & #6. Pepper Potts is an important character that helps ground Tony Stark's larger than life personality, more than his friendship and working relationship with Rhodey could.

Like it or not the John Blake character is the only one that called out Bruce Wayne/Batman on his reclusive behavior. And actually got to do some "detective" work even if it was mostly offscreen. I really feel if this character was developed more, he could of been the Batman that was closest to the comics, despite ironically having a totally different origin.
  16. Larfleeze New Player

The BIGGEST reason the Green Lantern movie is trash is because they ran out of money. They had to cut nearly an hour of Oa /space footage that went into various plot points like Sinestro fading to yellow, Hal's training was more fleshed out, Parallax was much more fleshed out, and the corps in general was a lot more fleshed out. There was even supposed to be a big battle sequence between a good chunk of the Corps and Koronallax which caused Parallax to go to earth and blah blah blah.

But they started going way over budget and had to cut out a lot of the planned "pure cgi" sequences and were basically left with nothing but the Earth scenes.
    • Like x 1
  17. XODUIS Committed Player

TDKR was based off many authentic Batman storylines including Batman: Legacy, No Man's Land, and most importanly Knightfall. TDKR was just a mash up of all those story arcs.
  18. EnemyOfDaState New Player

What did they blow the budget on contracts?
  19. AV Loyal Player

This is another reason why I don't understand why they don't just stick to animated.
  20. Larfleeze New Player

AFAIK they just greatly underestimated hwo much it would cost.

Because animated movies don't net you over a billion dollars in profit.