Cold Turkeying it

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Deathmark, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Deathmark New Player

Yeah i'm afraid this is kind of a goodbye thread. And yeah, I should of course be above this and like omg who cares. And of course this will be TLDR. Don't be stupid. It's my thread and i'll QQ if i want to (actually this is rather QQ free by quitting threads standards....also, i use qq ironically...i hate this term)

I had before pondered quitting the game as i realised as long as there would be feats to chase after i would be chasing after them like a trained dog, no matter how many hours of my life i had to sink into them, but i had not even up until yesterday SERIOUSLY considered quitting the game. In fact i hadn't been thinking about quitting in many many weeks. But I had some kind of intervention moment happen yesterday and i think this is the push i needed. The truth is there's too many things i need to be working on in my life and that constantly get pushed aside in favor of me wasting two or three hours of my days (and sometimes more, last winter i sometimes played for 8 hours straight) chasing intangible rewards that will in the end just satisfy the reward receptors in my brain for a handful of minutes before i need to get some more. I was a feats junkie.

Mind you this is not a criticism of the game. All mmorpgs are like this (cause feats chasing was really just stats increase chasing). I still enjoyed chasing those feats and while a lot of the game had been feeling a little stale after a year and like 5 months, the occasions when i genuinely didn't have ANY fun in the game were few. But i need to move on. I don't think people like me should have anything to do with mmorpgs. I think DCUO is a great game and it was the first MMORPG i played for more than a few weeks but it should also probably be my last.

I do realise that at this early point there is a chance of a relapse down the road but i doubt it. Still i mention it in case someone wants to be a smart*ss should i come back (though that won't and, really, shouldn't stop you). But i know that if i DID, i would see this as a failure, it would mean i just gave up on bettering my life. Perhaps i would if i could find a way to structure my daily schedule so that playing DCUO didn't impact the rest of my life negatively, but it's wishful thinking at this point. As long as i have time sink games like this to play, i WILL be doing it instead of everything else. Give me the easy way out, and i usually take it. That just doesn't work. Not to be melodramatic, but my personal life, my relationship and my dreams (the few i still have left at my age...shutup, 35 is old) and goals are suffering for it.

I only wish i hadn't paid for another month just 6 days ago... Also, no, you can't have my stuff or money. I didn't waste all these hours to make someone else rich!

Anyway, I didn't make many friends throughout my time playing because i'm weird like that, but there are still some people I enjoyed talking to and interacting with and who i got to know a little and i'm thankful to you all for improving my experience of the game (god knows most players in mmorpgs do the exact opposite). This applies to people both in game and on these here forums.

Farewell, goodnight, last one out turn out the lights.

-Deathmark A.U.K.A (also unfortunately known as) Deathmilk

P.S: Oh yeah and, Nick, i guess now you finally WILL be the best dressed hero in DCUO.

P.P.S: Where does the expression cold turkey come from anyway? Cold turkey is great. Well...unless it's raw i suppose...

P.P.P.S: Breakforce, you know what to do here, don't let me down.
    • Like x 5
  2. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Goodbye, Deathmilk. D:
  3. thirty six Loyal Player

TL, but Did R. Good luck with your future endeavors. You'll still be in the celestial power tree, so never really gone!
    • Like x 3
  4. BadJade New Player

Totally know what you mean, real ife is more important. Well you can say you learnt something that will make your new adventures easier. Makes the grind of life a bit more easier to see and bareable

Take it easy.
  5. MercPony Devoted Player

Take care :) All in all, life is the best MMO.
    • Like x 1
  6. Notangie New Player

I wanna quit too. Did quit...twice. Deleted my toons and everything. Can't quit for real until hubby does too.
  7. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Good luck. Hope you find your way back some day.

That's right... they named a pretty cool power after you (especially if you combo into corrupt)! Are you sure you want to leave?
  8. nowburn4it Loyal Player

9. nowburn4it Loyal Player

Hmph...My computer is acting strangely...Tried to say "keep dropping by the forums from time to time.
    • Like x 1
  10. Jake New Player

I will be joining you in doing the same, but I won't be quitting- Just going to FFXIV
  11. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Why are you quitting again? Because you can't balance real life with playing the game? Or that the game is negatively impacting your real life? Or both? I don't understand these threads. I'm married, working on a family, have a great job, travel a ton, have an active social life, and play the game nearly every day (usually for less than two hours at a time unless it's a weekend or I'm off) and I have never once thought about just quitting.

Enjoying the game and having full, satisfying 'real' life is not mutually exclusive - you can do both. It's all about moderation. IMO, thinking leaving a game you enjoy (you do, right?) is a panacea that will make things better for you in other aspects of your life is off the (Death) mark. But good luck either way.
    • Like x 3
  12. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

and right after they named a celestial power after you. how rude :p
    • Like x 1
  13. undrline Issue Tracker Volunteer

14. Breakforce Loyal Player

K

:eek:
    • Like x 1
  15. Treat New Player

D:< You better not quit the forums! Also, I'm your friend right? >.> If you had been on usps3 we coulda done stuff together...
  16. Breakforce Loyal Player

Evidently not.

You can tell who mattered, because only true friends got into his post scripts
  17. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

[IMG]

You always amused me Deathmark. I'll miss you even though you were not on my server.
    • Like x 1
  18. Yeah that Eddie Committed Player

[IMG]

But seriously. Good luck man, hope life goes the way you want it to.
  19. tman Well-Known Player

well take care hope all settles for you
  20. Deathmark New Player

I'm a master procrastinator. Realistically theres only at most 3 or 4 hours in a day when i can work on anything i need to be working on. Quitting frees up at the very least 90 hours in a month. Supposing i use even half those hours in a productive manner, that'll be something. There is so much that can be accomplished in this time. Like i said, given the opportunity to do something easy and fun instead of what i need to do, i will take this option almost every time. Let's face it, a lot of the time i played DCUO, i felt soul crushing guilt. At least when i stopped long enough to think about what i was doing....

And yes there are video games i could be wasting my time with, but mmorpgs are heads and shoulders above all other type of games when it comes to time sinking. In the immediate future, i dont intend to play any games. The good releases are all coming at the end of the year anyway. And also, once you've put like 30 hours in most games, you're probably done with them, and there's only so many games i want to play in a year. DCUO was a year round and daily thing (because of all the dailies and weekly resets and also the feats that are so long to achieve you pretty much HAVE to work on them daily). When i play a non-mmo, i dont have to worry about all the oportunities im missing if i want to take a break of a week or two. I don't feel tied to a normal game as much as i did DCUO, ESPECIALLY when you pay monthly. Every day spent not playing feels like throwing money away...

Yeah what the guy said. Just kidding though. It's ok, i wouldn't even reread the whole of my own posts. I'm quitting these forums too yeah (well di you all think i wouldnt at least read the posts in my goodbye thread? Yeah right) For one i also waste too much time here. And it would in the end be too likely to draw me back in if i constantly kept reading about DCUO.

Thank you. You're one of the PS3 people (along with treat and others) who made me wish the servers would have been merged.
    • Like x 1